Photo
- - - - -

66 Drone Bases in the US revealed, with 22 more in construction : Interactive map

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,485 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:40 AM

The US military operated 66 bases for unmanned drone aircraft on American soil and has 22 more planned across the country.

A new map released by Public Intelligence, a nonprofit group dedicated publishing public government data, reveals the ever-growing footprint of the Department of Defense's newest weapon.

The bases span the entire country -- 33 states either have a base already or are slated to have one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The bases house mostly smaller spy drones like the RQ-7 Shadow, the RQ-11 Raven and the Wasp III, which has a wingspan of less than two and a half feet.

Six of the bases are home to the larger Predator and Reaper drove, which can carry missiles.

Public Intelligence cobbled together its map of military bases from a host of public documents, including a 2011 US Air Force presentation on the subject.

Despite how extensive the list is, it might not even be complete, the group's Michael Haynes told Wired.

'It is very likely that there are more domestic drone activities not included in the map, but it is designed to provide an approximate overview of the widespread nature of Department of Defense activities throughout the US,' he said.

The list also doesn't include any domestic agencies that are using drones.

In April, the Electronic Frontier Foundation, another advocacy group, released a list of universities, local police departments and federal departments that have received permits to fly drones in the United States.

The military is prohibited from using the drones to spy on Americans in the US. However, Wired reports that if the Air Force 'accidentally' records Americans while spy drones are making training flights, it can keep the surveillance footage for up to 90 days -- and use it as intelligence data.

http://www.dailymail...il--22-way.html

"Accidents" do happen after all.

Interactive map in the linked article.

#2 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,106 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:17 AM

Sounds about right.

Suspect the caveat at the end about keeping surveillance footage is more about not having to deal with frivolous lawsuits for inadvertently filming civilians but it is a large loop hole that someone could drive a Mack Truck through if they were less than ethical.

#3 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,777 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:58 AM

ya know, manned planes have had the capability to carry cameras for quite a while now too and they have bases everywhere.

#4 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,485 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:08 AM

Posted Image

How are we going to teach kids to fly when they can't even fit inside the planes!!!!!

seriously CWG...that's the best counter you've got?

#5 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:03 PM

This is a dictatorship, and now we are the enemy. These people are Hellbent on starting WW3, and they are going to do everything in their power to make sure that we cant stop them.

Yes, there are surveilance capabilities that give this operation a false cover... But those of us that are awakened, already know that these drones are going to be used to kill us if we try to take our government back.

Our freedoms are gone folks. They know that when the masses wake up and discover how evil these people are, that we will want to fight... but, they seem to be 3 steps ahead since most Americans refuse to wake up.

#6 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:14 PM

This used to be the the country that had more freedoms than any country in the world. Look how fast things can change...

Now, after only 11 years, I argue that we are probably near the bottom of the list.

Cant even go outside without wondering if a death machine is going to malfunction and kill you.

#7 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• HUDDLER
  • 3,328 posts
  • LocationGitmo

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:47 PM

So cwg where's that reasonable expectation of privacy at?

#8 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:18 PM

They have already killed an American (who knows how many more have been killed in secret), because he was an "enemy combatant" (no proof, no trial)

How long is it before protesters and nationalists start getting killed by these things?

The terms "Terrorist" and "enemy combatants" are too vague.

edit- I forgot that Obama ordered the killing of a 16 year old boy too.

#9 Sean Payton's Vicodin

Sean Payton's Vicodin

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:17 PM

3 bases in the dakotas? nobody lives there

#10 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,777 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:38 PM

I'm not defending anything, I'm just trying to impress among you fine folks that if the goverment was hell bent on following you they didn't have to wait for drones.

I'm glad there are a lot of people who are keeping this topic in conversation but so far all this sounds pretty mundane.

#11 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:00 PM

I'm not defending anything, I'm just trying to impress among you fine folks that if the goverment was hell bent on following you they didn't have to wait for drones.

I'm glad there are a lot of people who are keeping this topic in conversation but so far all this sounds pretty mundane.

You cant be that naive.

Look around you. In the past 6 moths, our president has passed executive order after executive order... ranging from plans for martial law, censoring the internet, allowing US soldiers to arrest citizens, assasination of citizens...

Now they want to fly killing machines over our heads... What else do these people have to do before you guys will realize that something is seriously wrong with this picture?

Tell us, if not for surveilance or to kill people... why are they flying military weapons over our heads? It cant be to "protect us from teh terrorizum" because there hasnt been a successful attack on our country for 11 years. Why now?

I would like to know.

#12 TruCatzFan

TruCatzFan

Phil 4:13

• HUDDLER
  • 6,470 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:14 AM

On a serious note... Floppin, I know that you provided the link for this specific story, but you always seem to find the really good ones. Do you have a few sites that I can add to my daily browsing? Thanks in advance

Please quote this post, so that I'm alerted. I'm assuming that you'll follow up in your own thread which is why I didn't quote

#13 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,106 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:46 PM

Posted Image

"Republican lawmakers demanding answers today after learning the Environmental Protection Agency has been using aerial spy drones for years to spy on cattle ranchers," Fox News Channel's Megyn Kelly told viewers. "These are the same drones we use to track down al-Qaida terrorists, flying over Nebraska and Iowa." Asked about the source of Kelly's report, a Fox spokeswoman declined to comment.

http://seattletimes....3_drones17.html

#14 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:49 PM

check this shiz out. Pretty cool video I found that features just about every unclassified drone you could imagine.

Its like Skynet in this motherfuger.

#15 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,106 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:14 PM

This technology is only in its infancy but advancing rapidly.

The savings realized in the form of lives and money by eliminating humans from these vehicles will be a big game changer tactically and strategically. It will also significantly reduce taxpayer costs for military / police injuries, medical costs, death, disability and retirement benefits.

Once humans are only involved on the distant end of most high threat military and police force engagements, will the temptation for our political leadership to use them at the first hint of a disturbance become too tempting, knowing that the loss of friendly forces will be minimal or non-existent and the intimidation factor to the threat will be off the charts?

What kind of world would that be to live in?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.