#1 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts
  • LocationGitmo

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:18 AM

---- (CNN) - Marcie Fisher-Borne carries a power of attorney with her at all times. She has a will but has made videos of her wishes for her children just in case someone contests them.

What if she were to get in a car accident tomorrow? What would happen to her daughter, 4, and her 6-month-old son?

It's not that Fisher-Borne doesn't have a partner - she has been with Chantelle Fisher-Borne for 15 years. It's just that the state of North Carolina does not recognize same-sex marriage. Nor does it allow second-parent adoptions.

That means if Fisher-Borne were no longer capable of taking care of her children - she gave birth to her daughter, and her partner, Chantelle, carried their son - Chantelle Fisher-Borne would not be able to adopt their daughter.

The Fisher-Bornes were one of six couples listed in a federal lawsuit filed Wednesday by the American Civil Liberties Union that seeks to give full parental rights to same-sex couples.

"North Carolina's law denies children the permanency and security of a loving home simply because their parents are lesbian or gay," said Jennifer Rudinger, executive director of the ACLU of North Carolina.

"This is fundamentally wrong," she said. "No parent should have to worry about what will happen to their children if something happens to their partner."
A second-parent adoption is the adoption of a child by a parent in the home who is not married to the legal parent of the child, according to the Department of Health and Human Services. The first parent does not lose his or her rights.

In December 2010, the North Carolina Supreme Court banned such adoptions in the state.

In the lawsuit, the ACLU said a second-parent adoption is the only way that a family in North Carolina with gay or lesbian parents can ensure that both parents have a legal relationship with their child.

"Children who are prevented from having such a legally recognized relationship with both parents suffer numerous deprivations as a result, including exclusion from private health insurance benefits, public health benefits, veterans benefits, disability benefits, social security benefits, life insurance benefits, and workers' compensation, as well as uncertainty about their ability to continue their relationship with their second parent if something should happen to their legal parent," the lawsuit said.

Marcie Fisher-Borne recalled when she gave birth to her daughter. She was not even three hours old when a nurse at the hospital began questioning Chantelle's parental rights.

"We were treated as if our family was less than other families during what should have been one of the happiest occasions of our lives," Marcie Fisher-Borne said. "We don't ever want there to be any question as to who should care for our children. If something were to happen to either one of us, it could tear our family apart." ----

http://inamerica.blo...law/?hpt=hp_bn1

It's sad they are in this position to begin with.

#2 Toolbox

Toolbox

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,654 posts
  • Locationnc

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:24 AM

isn't religion awesome?!

#3 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:32 AM

Christians are pretty funny sometimes.

Someone like George W. Bush is a good person because he has strong Christian family values... It doesnt matter that he murdered 2.5 million people.

But God forbid a filthy homosexual wants to move into the neighborhood, because they need to die and got straight to hell, because they are "living in sin".

Quick, get the church rounded up with the "God hates you" protest signs, we have a soldiers funeral to go to, so we can blame the problems of the world on teh fagz and teh homos.

#4 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

10 PM tonight on CNN, Dave Silverman is going to be on. Wonder if he touches on this story at all. I know he is aware of it. Hmmm.

#5 B wood

B wood

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:25 PM

Christians are pretty funny sometimes.

Someone like George W. Bush is a good person because he has strong Christian family values... It doesnt matter that he murdered 2.5 million people.

But God forbid a filthy homosexual wants to move into the neighborhood, because they need to die and got straight to hell, because they are "living in sin".

Quick, get the church rounded up with the "God hates you" protest signs, we have a soldiers funeral to go to, so we can blame the problems of the world on teh fagz and teh homos.

I'm not a religious person but it's pretty stupid & asinine to judge all christians by the actions of one nut group.

#6 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,956 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:33 PM

Yep I know of lots of Christians and religious leaders who were against the Amendment. Paint with a broad brush though...you are no different then the people you rally against.

#7 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:36 PM

Yep I know of lots of Christians and religious leaders who were against the Amendment. Paint with a broad brush though...you are no different then the people you rally against.

You and BOB are right. I went too far there.

#8 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:42 PM

We're not lumping the religious moderates with the religious fundamentalists. They are. They need to get a new religion if they don't want to be in the same with the fundies.

#9 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:51 PM

I do think that religion is going to end up destroying humanity, but It is wrong of me to use such a broad brush.

It does hurt to realize that we are going to destroy civilization because we couldnt get past ancient ideologies though.

I dont worry as much about the Christians as I do the Muslims though. Once we provoke them into worldwide jihad, all hell is going to break loose, and it will start the chain reaction.

#10 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,956 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:25 PM

We're not lumping the religious moderates with the religious fundamentalists. They are. They need to get a new religion if they don't want to be in the same with the fundies.

Perhaps people just need to learn the difference. No need for me to get a new religion just because people are lazy and would rather generalize

#11 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

Perhaps people just need to learn the difference. No need for me to get a new religion just because people are lazy and would rather generalize

Again, if somebody says they're in the KKK, but they don't condone the killing or marginalization of other races, that doesn't matter. Sure, they may be distancing themselves from the "bad" of the KKK and focusing on purely on preserving the white race, but they still have to carry that stigma of the KKK as long as they hold the title of being a member of that organization. Explain to me how religion is any different.

#12 B wood

B wood

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:37 PM

I do think that religion is going to end up destroying humanity, but It is wrong of me to use such a broad brush.

It does hurt to realize that we are going to destroy civilization because we couldnt get past ancient ideologies though.

I dont worry as much about the Christians as I do the Muslims though. Once we provoke them into worldwide jihad, all hell is going to break loose, and it will start the chain reaction.

I respect muslims more than any other religion. They aren't the crazy nut jobs the media portrays them as. They are a group of people who have a very strong faith & be damned that anyone will tell them what they cannot do or believe. They don't tolerate a government pushing them around. They fight for what they believe in.

#13 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:41 PM

I respect muslims more than any other religion. They aren't the crazy nut jobs the media portrays them as. They are a group of people who have a very strong faith & be damned that anyone will tell them what they cannot do or believe. They don't tolerate a government pushing them around. They fight for what they believe in.

^^ This. I disagree with Muslims, obviously. However, at least they don't try to hide their motives. They truly believe and act in accordance with their beliefs. Unfortunately, their beliefs are terrible and detrimental to humanity. Should Muslims be feared? No. Should the actions that they will carry out in the name of their religion be feared? Absolutely. Same with Christians. Jesus does mention a parable where a "king" he mentions is supposed to Jesus himself, and at the end he says something to the effect of "all of those who would not have me rule over them, bring them before me and slaughter them". Yeah, that is a bit terrifying.

#14 B wood

B wood

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:47 PM

^^ This. I disagree with Muslims, obviously. However, at least they don't try to hide their motives. They truly believe and act in accordance with their beliefs. Unfortunately, their beliefs are terrible and detrimental to humanity. Should Muslims be feared? No. Should the actions that they will carry out in the name of their religion be feared? Absolutely. Same with Christians. Jesus does mention a parable where a "king" he mentions is supposed to Jesus himself, and at the end he says something to the effect of "all of those who would not have me rule over them, bring them before me and slaughter them". Yeah, that is a bit terrifying.

Pretty much. The reason muslims are a threat to Americans isn't because they have some sort of vendetta against us, they just won't tolerate our government or anyone else telling them what to do.

#15 Ccat

Ccat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:15 PM

I think you have it wrong. Christianity teaches peace and tolerance, so the ones who believe otherwise are the ones that need to create their own religion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com