Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Faceless

AMD to Intel question

44 posts in this topic

I lol'd.

It all depends on your preferences. AMD is a lot cheaper than AMD and a lot of people choose AMD for that reason alone because of the price difference. I am not saying that AMD is a bad chip but Intel > AMD.

Lies

amd>intel

seriously OP don't listen to this guy is you know whats good for you.

Lies

amd>intel

seriously OP don't listen to this guy is you know whats good for you.

We have to agree to disagree. No sense of arguing.

We have to agree to disagree. No sense of arguing.

agreed

I guess if price was a bigger issue than performance I'd look at AMD but I haven't had a PC with an AMD processor in 10 years.

I hear ya last AMD chip I recall having was an Opteron 140 which normally cranks at 1800 MHz tweaked to 3259MHz on air. Was pretty high up in the world on HWbot rankings at the time for SuperPi scores. Ah the good old Overclocking days.

Sort of unnecessary now to do any serious overclocking.

Intel has always had an edge on AMD in my book however except for those very dark, very hot Intel Prescott days.

amd is nice if you need a space heater as well as a processor

but that's the only advantage i can think of

The cluster I run the majority of my work on has about 200 cores...not a single one AMD.

Truthfully, my AMD build is running pretty good right now, good performance in Skyrim with the official texture DLC and 2k textures as well as BF3. I suppose I could roll with an aftermarket CPU cooler and OC my 6100FX for another year or so and see what the tech scene is like then.

I'm just weighing my options right now, my brother is wanting to build a HTPC type build pretty soon and I might sell him my AMD stuff as a basis for it. Use that money so I can be potentially set for a couple years if I use that money on an Intel build.

The debate between AMD and Intel usually comes down to what you used first.

no, it usually comes down to which is better at the time

As someone who has always bought AMDs since '98, Intel chips are currently way better.

i used to be an AMD guy too. Intel chips are better.