Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

God

Bobcats hire Mike Dunlap as HC

72 posts in this topic

If he was that damn good, why is his only past experience was as a Div II HC and an assistant at St. john's.

Anyone here supporting this hire is just attempting to defend and justify yet another shitty move/decision by this franchise/owner. And that is a LONG list of shitty decisions.

He's been a head coach for an overseas team, a Div II school, Div III school. He has served as an assistant at St. Johns, Arizona, Oregon, USC, Iowa, LMU and with the Denver Nuggets.

He was basically the Head coach at both St. Johns and Arizona as well. Leading Arizona to the sweet 16.

Hey guys, just read Andy Katz' article on the hire.

FYI: Dunlap just got a ringing endorsement from current Wake Forrest HC, Jeff Bzdelik.

"Mike is more than prepared for this job,'' said Wake Forest coach Jeff Bzdelik, a former Denver Nuggets head coach who got to know Dunlap when the two were in Denver at the same time. Dunlap was the head coach at Metro State when Bzdelik was with the Nuggets.

"He's simply a basketball junkie,'' Bzdelik said. "He has traveled the world -- literally -- to study the game. Everyone needs talent. No one is a genius of the game. But he'll do a great job with the X's and O's and the preparation and the motivation and teaching and developing.''

Bzdelik said the Bobcats will need patience.

"They'll need to be patient, so he can develop a team that obviously needs an injection of talent,'' Bzdelik said.

LOL. Anyone who watches the ACC, especially in the Carolinas, should realize that having the worst coach in the ACC standing up for you is going to do more harm than good.

I'm not going to throw this dude under the bus just to try and piss KT and the other Bobcat fans off, but I can tell you that this move looks like a huge reach and is most def a questionable hire. It's really disheartening to read that the Bobcats basically told Shaw to take a hike, too. Again, this hire is around par for the course regarding the Bobcats and I bet the move came down to dollars and cents, not X's and O's.

I'd like to know the "shitty" moves MJ and the cats have made.

LOL.

Every HC here has been a disaster. What is this now? the fifth HC in the teams short history?

Every draft choice here has been awful. Morrison prob at the top of the list. Should of kept Jared Dudley. Should of kept Ray Felton.

Come on bro you are smarter than this. The bobcats went 7-59 for a reason.

This hire screams CHEAP. I think this also cements the 2nd pick in the draft to be Harrison Barnes too. They will believe he will bring in the most money because he will draw all of the UNC fans.

As a UNC fan, I would not object to drafting Barnes. Probably going to be a better pro than college player. His mentality and game is better suited. A lot like Austin Rivers, in a sense.

Lots of UNC fans weren't bothered by the fact he left TY, and the Bobcats have tried that whole draft UNC players to sell seats and that type of thinking is outdated and excuse the bluntness, very ignorant.

If UNC fans want to watch UNC players, we watch the Tar Heels not the Bobcats.

Never said he was damn good. I'm gonna support this team no matter what. Just dnt be riding Dunlap's nuts hard if one day he turn out to be the answer. So now, just keep being a MadHatter bro.

I was all for going after an up and coming NBA assistant coach....or even a college coach who had performed at a high level. This guy seems like a reach in every definition of the word.

George Karl: Great hire by Bobcats! Mike Dunlap is one of the most creative defensive minds I've ever worked with. Welcome back to the NBA! Twitter

The Observer’s source, who asked for anonymity because Dunlap’s hire isn’t official, said Dunlap impressed the front office with his high energy and collaborative approach. Also, he wants to run an up-tempo offense and attacking defense that figures to fit some of the Bobcats’ younger personnel. Charlotte Observer

Adrian Wojnarowski: Dunlap's considered an excellent X's and O's coach on college level, well-respected in profession. Still, a huge gamble for Michael Jordan. Twitter

David Locke: George Karl on Mike Dunlap "He’s the most intelligent person that has a love for the game of basketball that I’ve ever been around." Twitter

at least people that know the guy seem to really like and respect him, idk much about the guy but i really like karl and if he has high regard for him i will take that on faith and hope for the best, i really wanted an X and O's guy, and this guy sounds to be great at that, someone said how will he get the respect of our vets? what vets do we have or even want here lol

I respect George Karl's opinion, but I don't like the idea of pulling a Tampa Bay Buccaneer and hiring supposedly a good college coach on a bad college team.

Experts have said all along that Jordan is going to go with the guy that comes the cheapest and there is no doubt that Dunlap would come cheaper than any of the other candidates because he wants to get back in the NBA.

At first I raged some, then after readin some articles on him and seeing all the tweets that people In the game are saying about him im onboard. A energetic/uptempo style coach could be what this team needs to be watchable. We are going to suck next year even if we would have hired phil fuking jackson. Give the guy a chance and lets see what we do on draft night.

Also remeber this was also cho's decision and he has a history of making reach decisions (westbrook,harden). Im not trying to be a fanboy but lets just see how this works out.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/8071050/college-coaches-rave-mike-dunlap-college-basketball

http://www.milehighsports.com/?p=10592

As a UNC fan, I would not object to drafting Barnes. Probably going to be a better pro than college player. His mentality and game is better suited. A lot like Austin Rivers, in a sense.

Lots of UNC fans weren't bothered by the fact he left TY, and the Bobcats have tried that whole draft UNC players to sell seats and that type of thinking is outdated and excuse the bluntness, very ignorant.

If UNC fans want to watch UNC players, we watch the Tar Heels not the Bobcats.

Thank you. People really dont understand this. If MKG went to UNC and Barnes to UK or Dook, I still would want to draft Barnes.

1 person likes this