• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 GotSwag?

GotSwag?

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:25 PM

As a UNC fan, I would not object to drafting Barnes. Probably going to be a better pro than college player. His mentality and game is better suited. A lot like Austin Rivers, in a sense.

Lots of UNC fans weren't bothered by the fact he left TY, and the Bobcats have tried that whole draft UNC players to sell seats and that type of thinking is outdated and excuse the bluntness, very ignorant.

If UNC fans want to watch UNC players, we watch the Tar Heels not the Bobcats.

Thank you. People really dont understand this. If MKG went to UNC and Barnes to UK or Dook, I still would want to draft Barnes.

#62 yasuhara2241

yasuhara2241

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:44 PM

My take on this hire is very wishy washy.
1. We are going to be bad next year and that is part of the plan to help us get better in the future, so we hire somebody who can teach the game to our young team. This guy is going to be reamed for doing such a bad job, but honestly any coach would be with the talent or lack there of that the Bobcats have.

2. "We made this hire to save money." So what if we did? No matter who we hired we were going to suck for the next two or three years and we should all be prepared for this. If we hired a good teacher on a discount does that really matter? We as fans would be calling for the coaches head in 3 years anyway no matter if Shaw was our coach. The only difference is people would say Shaw is trying to install a system that we don't have the players for.

3. I haven't heard of him and only read about his bio online so he must suck! Listen the NBA is full of unknown coaches that end up being good because of the players around them and the system. Who here knew the coach of the Bulls or Thunder before they were hired? I know some have but to the average fan probably not. Sometimes unknown aren't bad.

4. Because of the unknowns he will be criticized more than anybody has. "He was hired bc MJ was cheap." "He had no experience before why did we expect him to be good." "College system and teacher in the pros are not a good match."

Overall, i have no clue what to expect. I was shocked by the hire but really can't comment because I don't know the guy. I hate the wait and see mentality but that is the NBA. We need to suck, get lucky and get lucky again. Then we can wait and see if he was any good.

#63 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 15,377 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:51 PM

Any hire is exciting regardless of who it is because they're NEW. Even if it would've been Snyder or Shaw, it still would've had an element of excitement because they are an unknown as an NBA HC. So, from that angle, I remain cautiously optimistic and I can't say that I know either of those guys would've been any better than what we will have in Dunlap.

My issue, was 1) he apparently is the first NCAA assistant to become an NBA HC, EVER, and 2) On top of that, as many people have come out and gave him an endorsement, he has not been a HC in D1 or the NBA. Those things worry me, but as I said previously, I hope MJ's gamble paid off this time.

#64 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 15,377 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:54 PM

For some interesting reads on Dunlap, check out Moe Harkless' timeline on twitter. He loves him and says he's a really engaged, passionate, and smart coach BUT, then he mentions how Dunlap would make them run if they yawned at practice and would kick the managers out if they yawned as well.

https://twitter.com/#!/moe_harkless

That's what my concern was. He has spent almost all of his career in college, and that type of stuff will get you undermined and tuned out quick in the NBA. So, his knowledge and passion for the game better translate immediately and win our guys over...

#65 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:04 PM

As long as he brings in some experienced NBA assistants I think he should be alright (not like there are too many vets left to win over). I'm fine with the front office taking a risk next season since the team wont be great anyway.

#66 Sapper

Sapper

Healthy Scratch

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,957 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:12 PM

Gene Chizik anyone?

#67 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,947 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

I was all for going after an up and coming NBA assistant coach....or even a college coach who had performed at a high level. This guy seems like a reach in every definition of the word.

We dnt need a star coach or an up and coming young coach. We need a teacher. Someone who knows the game. Someone with no huge EGO. Like I said this is a good fit. A coach who'll stick with this team and lead them step by step. We're in a rebuilding mode. Stick to the plan and let the coach grow with these young players. No need to hire a coach who'll try to transform this team into a playoff contender next season. If we have Anthony Davis, sure maybe. But no chance at AD so plan is to hit top four pick next year again. If we hit this and next year drafts, with this coach we could go a long way. Dunlap has to be better than Bickerstaff, Vincent and Silas.

#68 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,977 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

Is it just me or doesn this guy not look like Pyat Pree from Game of Thrones??

Posted Image

#69 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,943 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:35 PM

Dunlap has to be better than Bickerstaff, Vincent and Silas.

That part I will definitely agree with.

#70 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,831 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:00 PM

Well at least it wasn't sloan or snyder.

#71 ckad79

ckad79

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:41 PM

I honestly believe that Jordan understood the importance of signing a quality head coach this time! His organization is slipping away and Jordan isn't that stupid! You have to believe the entire front office sat down, evaluated Mike Dunlap and made a call on him that they all believe in.

As far as being "popular" or having "experience", Scott Brooks had no head coaching experience before coming to the Thunder. The Thunder knew he was a "basketball" guy that was well respected like Dunlap is. Plus, the Thunder struggled before signing Brooks and had limited people out there begging to work for them!!!

#72 rippadonn

rippadonn

Since 2006

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:38 PM

He looks like RoboCop

#73 Panther_Brotherhood

Panther_Brotherhood

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:50 PM

lol I don't even care if they're not the Hornets yet. I swear this franchise can't do ANYTHING right.

It shouldn't matter if the team is the Hornets or not. Its about loyalty. I love the Cats because of them being from my home state. I couldn't care less about the name/color scheme. I just want a winning product on the floor. On that note, I wanna be positive about this guy. Karl had nice things to say about how good of a defensive coach he was in Denver. I really hope he can bring a new attitude to Charlotte

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users