30 replies to this topic

#1 Stroupe-a-loop

Stroupe-a-loop

SeƱor Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:47 AM

. . . Was incredibly bad. Like, so, so bad. They get to bring up John Beck going HAM on us, which is not flattering.

http://footballoutsi...-action-defense

Hopefully, we improvement and better health along the line and linebacking cores will make us stouter against the run in the first place, and that will keep us from having to overplay it so much on P.A. passes.

#2 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,661 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:48 AM

Pretty sure our defense was horrid in all aspects, outside of Gamble.

#3 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,424 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:51 AM

what? a defense starting mostly rookies or first year starters in the first year of a new system with new coaches and with their starting MLB on IR sucked in a phase of defense?

#4 GoCarolina8990

GoCarolina8990

All Day

• HUDDLER
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:56 AM

what? a defense starting mostly rookies or first year starters in the first year of a new system with new coaches and with their starting MLB on IR sucked in a phase of defense?

Lol too true

#5 ShutDwn

ShutDwn

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

Probably because Dan Connor couldn't do anything to stop the pass anyway so he always played the run. Same thing with Senn, but but he can't play either phase.

#6 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,465 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

This is really not any surprising news, we know they were terrible.

#7 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,424 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:01 PM

its water under the bridge.

i've got confidence that the defense will make the same turnaround that the offense did last year.

this defense will be a top 10 defense next year in most phases.

#8 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 6,068 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:06 PM

I thought Senn was actually pretty good in the last two or so games. He was a missle to the ball and was laying hits, fumbles and getting an int.

Conner was just tackling down the field and being hurt.

#9 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,621 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:14 PM

We were bad against the run and underneath routes.We could not cover TEs or rbs.Watching nfl rewind we were using a 4 man rush which was not very effective and when they sent a rb or te on a route underneath they were almost always open.Can someone smarter than I break down what was going wrong?

#10 Ken

Ken

Triple Threat

• HUDDLER
  • 3,637 posts
  • Locationnyc

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:27 PM

Stat is not suprising at all for obvious reasons.

I think our defense will be much better this season but I really doubt it will be top 10, which is fine since with our offense, we don't need it to be.

#11 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,424 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:35 PM

Stat is not suprising at all for obvious reasons.

I think our defense will be much better this season but I really doubt it will be top 10, which is fine since with our offense, we don't need it to be.

i remember things like this being said last year...except it was doubting that the offense would be a top 10 but the defense didn't make it necessary.

i'm not going to go through the whole list of reasons why i believe the defense will be a top 10 next year, but it's more likely that it will be able to than it was the offense last year.

#12 panthers34

panthers34

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

we arent even the same defense as last year soo it doesnt matter

#13 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationChina Grove, NC

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:06 PM

I am now as much as ever confused why anyone would look at any single aspect of this defensive team from last year and say they were terrible at one thing...then call it news. Our D was terrible except for one or two kinda-bright spots.

Later in the day I'm thinking about breaking the story that the sky is blue and trying to get some play on the blog circuit.

#14 Ken

Ken

Triple Threat

• HUDDLER
  • 3,637 posts
  • Locationnyc

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:19 PM

@rayzor I'm m not saying its impossible to be top 10 but its unlikely. We have some great pieces but our secondary is a huge issue. We have no sure #2 CB and our safety play is way to iffy.

After preseason when we see how things are I can buy into top 10 talk but to say that now is far too premature.

#15 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,424 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

@rayzor I'm m not saying its impossible to be top 10 but its unlikely. We have some great pieces but our secondary is a huge issue. We have no sure #2 CB and our safety play is way to iffy.

After preseason when we see how things are I can buy into top 10 talk but to say that now is far too premature.

we have a huge upgrade at coaching in the secondary. Dline should be better. LBs will be a whole lot better. that takes a ton of pressure off the DBs. them having a year in the system will help a lot. there is better competition @ safety.

also, rivera will be more involved.

it will be a lot better all the way around. i'll say it again, the defense has a much better chance of being top 10 next year than the offense had last year. the pieces are all pretty much in place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com