Photo
- - - - -

JR a tight wad?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#25 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:30 AM

They are not front-loaded in any way. Even if you pay all the bonus money up front, it always gets spread out over the life of the deal.

Front-loaded deals have higher salaries in the first years of the deal and lower salaries in the last years.

Our players are on the list due to large bonuses, not front-weighted salaries.

when ur DE gets 32 mil of his 76 mil contract in 1 year, thats pretty front loaded to me :P

#26 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

HUDDLER

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:34 AM

when ur DE gets 32 mil of his 76 mil contract in 1 year, thats pretty front loaded to me :P

You need to understand how the cap hit is calculated.

Take the signing bonus and divide it by the number of years on the contract. Add that number to each year's salary.

CJ's contract is in no way front-loaded. Nor is DWill's, nor Beason's. Paying a lot of money up front affects JR's cash flow, but it does not make the contract front-loaded.

#27 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:18 AM

when it comes to paying the players who've only ever played here, Jerry shells out the big bucks

when it comes to bringing in skilled players from other teams, he turns jewish

smh.

#28 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

HUDDLER

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:54 AM

I really like D Will, but I think his contract was too much and I really think that he would've stayed for less. I really hope that we can resign J Stew!

#29 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

Jerry Richard$on and Gettledouche apologist

SUPPORTER

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:07 AM

it'd be front-loaded if his fixed, non-bonus/non-prorated salary was huge in the first few years but then declined in the final years of the contract. signing bonuses always have an even cap hit across the life of the contract.

teams will typically back-load contracts and provide a big up-front signing bonus in an attempt to avoid cap hell but to also table an attractive offer for a player. ultimately they're kicking the can down the road on the cap problems that may arise (i think CJ's cap hit hits almost $16 million in its last year) and assuming they can release/restructure/trade if need be.

#30 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

HUDDLER

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:54 AM

You need to understand how the cap hit is calculated.

Take the signing bonus and divide it by the number of years on the contract. Add that number to each year's salary.

CJ's contract is in no way front-loaded. Nor is DWill's, nor Beason's. Paying a lot of money up front affects JR's cash flow, but it does not make the contract front-loaded.

So even though someone like CJ will actually receive all that money up front, the cap hit is spread around however the deal is structured?

#31 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

HUDDLER

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:06 PM

So even though someone like CJ will actually receive all that money up front, the cap hit is spread around however the deal is structured?

Exactly.

CJ could have signed a $76 million deal for 4 years, with $74 million paid up front and salaries each year of $500,000, and his cap hit would be $19 million each of the 4 years.

#32 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

HUDDLER

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:08 PM

The cap hit from all signing bonus money, although payed upfront to the player, is divided up and spread evenly over every year for the life of the contract.

#33 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

HUDDLER

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:21 PM

The only bad contract in that bunch in Dwills and he's probably my favorite player on the team

#34 rainwater

rainwater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:37 PM

If by tight wad, you mean barely able to get under the cap every year, then yeah, JR is a tight wad.

Obviously he tanked the year before the lockout and it turns out it revitalized this team (new coach, franchise QB). The guy knows how to run a organization.