Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you think Cam's success had an impact on how people look at RG3?

75 posts in this topic

Posted

Wow. Great novel concept for a thread topic. We haven't debated this idea since...................

2 weeks ago............................................

Bored given this is your second thread in 9 minutes???

Here are some novel ideas for the next five redundant posts of the week..........................................

How long will it be before Smitty punches Norman in the mouth???

Who is going to be on the bubble??

Will Cam have a sophomore slump??

WIll Beason or Kuechly start at middle linebacker??

Who will have more yards?? Williams or Stewart???

hahaha what a jerk but so true

Posted

If RGIII and zod forbid, The Golden Calf of Bristol have good years, the talking heads that hated on Cam will say that this is the new NFL and that the rule changes have created a passing league where dual threat QBs can finally succeed. (I know The Golden Calf of Bristol's not really a dual threat, I'm just guessing that's how the media will spin it.)

If RGIII has a huge season and Luck breaks Cam's passing record, it will be hard to argue with their logic.

Me personally? I don't think that either of those things will happen and the haters will just have to admit that Cam is a rare talent. We shall see.

1 person likes this

Posted

If RGIII and zod forbid, The Golden Calf of Bristol have good years, the talking heads that hated on Cam will say that this is the new NFL and that the rule changes have created a passing league where dual threat QBs can finally succeed.

several douchebags have already made this argument mostly in regards to defenses not being ready in the wake of the lockout.

yeah i'm sure a 6'6" 250 pound pile of twisted steel with 4.59 speed, a cannon arm, and a peerless work ethic would have been terrible any other season.

Posted

hahaha what a jerk but so true

Gave you some ideas didn't it????

Posted

The thread title held much more promise then the OP.

Posted

They're not similar players, at all.

I don't know where this idea of Griffin as a NFL caliber runner comes from, he has one noteworthy running skill: he's fast.

Outside of that, he has poor elusiveness, field vision, and tackle-breaking ability. He's not going to be a good runner at this level.

As for passing, Griffin hasn't shown any ability to throw anticipation routes yet. Not saying he can't but the resume is slim to none, and word out of camp is that he's having a tough time making the transition to those kinds of throws.

Cam, on the other hand, has a highlight reel full of them. It's probably the most eye-opening aspect of his jump from college to the pros I've ever seen.

Posted

I think that the thread title may have been somewhat of a disconnect from the OP's point (in this case, not by design, unlike some who fancy themselves as being clever), but I do feel that there are interesting questions to ponder: Did Newton forever change the way that people look at black QBs? Did Newton finally break the color barrier that some believe existed (or perhaps still exists)? I could have missed it, but I haven't seen these questions asked or addressed in the Huddle. Not that I think that Huddle is mature or open-minded enough to honestly handle these questions with any real depth (because Cam's success has easily fostered a lot of hindsight is 20:20-Kumbaya, attitudes). To me, the OP's thread isn't really about RG3 per se, and for that reason I am not going to hate on him.

Posted

Lol i think every quarterback drafted in the 2nd round will be compared to Andy Dalton. Lets face it. There has never been a rookie quarterback drafted in the 2nd round that has as much success this early, ever. I think he paved the way and set the bar on how rookie quarterbacks will be viewed for many years to come. The fact the he's a ginger makes it all the more amazing.

Posted

Yes to a degree. I think the fact that nearly the entire mainstream media was ridiculously wrong about cam has made a lot reluctant to be too negative on griffin. I can't think of anyone more harshly scrutinized coming out of the draft to end up having such a season.

I honestly thought the luck hype would be unbearable the last few months but it has been nearly non existent.

Posted

Cam really didn't remove the stereotype that was always placed on black QB. All he did by playing the wayhe did last season was make RG III acceptance a lot easier. Cam was compare to the black QBs that were before him and they were Jamarcus and VY.

RG III is now being compare to Cam. Here's hoping both these QBs can shatter the stereotyping that still plagues black QBs to this day.

3 people like this

Posted

Cam really didn't remove the stereotype that was always placed on black QB. All he did by playing the wayhe did last season was make RG III acceptance a lot easier. Cam was compare to the black QBs that were before him and they were Jamarcus and VY.

RG III is now being compare to Cam. Here's hoping both these QBs can shatter the stereotyping that still plagues black QBs to this day.

All this time i thought Doug Williams did that..

Posted

Do you think Cam's success had an impact on how people look at RG3?
Without a doubt.

I think Cam forced some media 'experts' to re-examine many of their football opinions.

Especially about spread QBs ability to translate their physical skillset into the NFL production.

Cam success (and Daltons) in a shortened offseason also forced offensive coaching staff's to reassess their approach to installing and teaching their offense.

The time crunch forced teams to truncate/streamline their playbooks and focus on building the offense around what Cam and Dalton already did well.

Then we have to factor the type of offense Cam ran.

The Panthers used various elements of option and zone-read with great success.

I would be remiss not to mention The Golden Calf of Bristol here as well.

Despite the fact that The Golden Calf of Bristol struggles throwing the ball, he almost single handedly proved that zone-read/option concepts are viable in the NFL.

All of the above are having an effect on how people view RGIII.

The Redskins are planning to run some zone-read and option concepts as part of their offense because of RGIII ability to execute them at a high level.

If Cam, Dalton and The Golden Calf of Bristol didn't have the success they had last year I doubt that RGIII stock would have been so high.

Seems like analyst are now looking at blk Qbs as Qbs now not just athlete who can run.

What are your thoughts fellas?

I think football and sports communtiy at large are already past these racial movitivated ideas.

But, the ones that still harbor stupid racial based sterotypes aren't gonna be swayed by 1 phenomenal by Cam Newton.

Nevermind the fact that part of Newton's success is because he's an athlete that can run, which isn't unlike Aaron Rodgers, Jay Cutler, Drew Brees, Mike Vick, Steve Young, Randall Cunningham, John Elway etc...

1 person likes this