Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

Confederate Flag- Why do people fly it today?

• Please log in to reply
331 replies to this topic

#1 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:22 PM

I've always heard (as we all have heard) that people still brand the confederate flag to show their southern pride and heritage. My question is, what heritage is being displayed? The same guys that created this flag, tried to break up this nation and wanted to re-open the slave trade. Is that the heritage the south is proud of? If not, why have anything to do with this flag? Do we not know that the south was here, well before the confederate states existed? You don't need that flag to show you are a southerner.

Anyway, what heritage is it exactly, that this flag represents?

#2 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,733 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:26 PM

http://www.carolinah...uthern-culture/

We've had this discussion before, it will always end up the same. Read this thread and enjoy.

#3 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,487 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:30 PM

I have one encased in a glass frame. I don't fly it, but it does hang on my wall. Its a replica of the battleflag of the 26 NC Infantry, a unit one of my ancestors fought in. I would like to get a replica of the 26th Michigan as well. But I am a civil war and military history buff. I have no idea why someone would want to fly the flag from their porch or anything like that. But as long as they aren't out sticking it in someone else's face, then they are well within their rights.

#4 Doyle

Doyle

Headed to the county line

• HUDDLER
  • 6,232 posts
  • LocationRichardson's toilet

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:30 PM

I don't have a problem with people flying the flag. This is America and we a supposed to be free to do what we want. I would never fly it because it is basically saying I'm a redneck. Just remember its just a flag. Sticks and stones may break my bones but flags will never hurt me?

#5 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:42 PM

My first job was in a grocery store, mainly bagging groceries + chores around the store. Of course you guys know that we greet all of our customers and so forth, but I'm not going to lie, every one of my customers who wore a confederate flag on their shirt, never returned my greetings or blessings. The most they would do was look at me and/or smile. (Which I took as a friendly gesture, but their reponses seemed to be strained)

I say that to say, the flag itself is nothing to be proud of. At all. Sure, people have the right to wear it or wave it, and I don't think they are racist (some are). Yet, the flag itself is. I strongly believe that, they just don't know the history of this flag and what it really represents. I don't want to impose on anyone's right to wear it by no means, but I do want to convince them not to have it at all, unless you are a history buff. :lol:

#6 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,733 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

I have a feeling that your grasp on the history of the civil war is limited at best.

#7 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:48 PM

I have a feeling that your grasp on the history of the civil war is limited at best.

It's limited, yes, but everyone know the main reason why the South became the confederate states.

#8 jackson113

jackson113

Poo talking mother fugging Jackson

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:48 PM

OP trolling?

#9 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

Before we get the "Am I trolling" posts, tell me what is the heritage that those who wear the flag is so proud of?

#10 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,733 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:52 PM

It's limited, yes, but everyone know the main reason why the South became the confederate states.

If you think that the original reason of succession was because of slavery, you would be mistaken.

#11 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,005 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:55 PM

If you think that the original reason of succession was because of slavery, you would be mistaken.

mince mince mince.

#12 Mvp2014

Mvp2014

Phenom

• HUDDLER
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:58 PM

Haha. Some people had ancestors die in the war and have great appreciation for their heritage. If you really think it was about slavery.. Lol

#13 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,733 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:00 PM

The slavery issue was but a tiny part of problem between the north and south, and was not the root cause of the civil war. The only reason that it is so universally thought to be today is because the north won the war and just like any conflict, to the victors go the history books. Fighting to free the slaves is much more altruistic than fighting to be able to impose taxes and to expand an already over reaching and overbearing government.

#14 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,733 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:03 PM

The civil war boils down to states rights vs federal rights, the federal government won and our constitution has been shitpaper ever since.

#15 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:03 PM

Haha. Some people had ancestors die in the war and have great appreciation for their heritage. If you really think it was about slavery.. Lol

Is that the reason for the deflection? People had ancestors that died in the war, and they don't want to think the main reason they died, was ensuring that slavery continued on?

People need to realize that not all of their ancestors were good people. Man, every single one of us had ancestors that were probably murderers somewhere down the line. Not that I'm saying every confederate soldier was evil to the core, but they were definitely fighting for the wrong causes. We need to admit this, not try to shrug off the truth, and then say "I'm proud of my ancestors".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com