112 replies to this topic

#61 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,930 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

Atheists have a far lower crime rate than religious people.

80% of the country is Christian
80% of the prison population is Christian

8% of the country is Atheist
0.2% of the prison population is Atheist

http://www.holysmoke.org/icr-pri.htm

#62 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,455 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

Maybe incarceration is God's not so subtle version of "Scared Straight".

Enter as a know-it-all Atheist, leave as a Born Again Christian.

#63 Keep Pounding

Keep Pounding

Smith & Wesson 460

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationIn your backyard!!!!

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

I believe in God, because deep down inside, I really want to believe that there is something after death, not just death, but an afterlife. I have doubts, but I have doubts about a lot of stuff. But want to know that in time, I will be able to unite with the people who died before me and after me.

#64 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,455 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:05 PM

I suspect there is a significantly larger percentage of Atheists in the USA than current data indicates.

These non self-identifying Atheists just recognize it is in their best interests to keep their non-believing beliefs to themselves.

In that respect, they are no different than their CINO brethren, they don't want to be culled from the comfort/benefits they derive from being part of our societal herd.

#65 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,455 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

I believe in God, because deep down inside, I really want to believe that there is something after death, not just death, but an afterlife. I have doubts, but I have doubts about a lot of stuff. But want to know that in time, I will be able to unite with the people who died before me and after me.

I can relate to that... to a point. Honestly, I enjoy visiting the family in small doses, no more than a few weeks at a time. Two weeks is about my limit (and theirs too, I suspect).

Eternity is significantly longer than two weeks, and after a few weeks, it would dawn on me, "Hey, this isn't Heaven, this is Hell!"

#66 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

When you say conscience are you talking about an awareness of moral/ethical judgment or what not, or just being alive (presumably conscious)?

I'm not sure what you mean by us not having fully figured out what consciousness is. Are you trying to discuss life here? Something can be alive without likely be conscious (at least by most definitions of the word).

Yeah, consciousness has a lot of meanings. Basically what I'm talking about it is life. How did it emerge from a universe that is not alive? I understand that scientists have done experiments showing that some of the basic building blocks to life can arise naturally, but those building blocks aren't alive. The way I see it, these chemicals are no more unique than the many building blocks of this universe. How can these chemicals come together and bring forth life?

#67 Keep Pounding

Keep Pounding

Smith & Wesson 460

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationIn your backyard!!!!

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:32 PM

I can relate to that... to a point. Honestly, I enjoy visiting the family in small doses, no more than a few weeks at a time. Two weeks is about my limit (and theirs too, I suspect).

Eternity is significantly longer than two weeks, and after a few weeks, it would dawn on me, "Hey, this isn't Heaven, this is Hell!"

Yeah but I have kids, and a brother that was killed. So me losing a brother, and knowing that my kids will out live me (God willing), I would like to believe that I could reunite with them one day.

#68 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,455 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:34 PM

Yeah, consciousness has a lot of meanings. Basically what I'm talking about it is life. How did it emerge from a universe that is not alive? I understand that scientists have done experiments showing that some of the basic building blocks to life can arise naturally, but those building blocks aren't alive. The way I see it, these chemicals are no more unique than the many building blocks of this universe. How can these chemicals come together and bring forth life?

All those questions can be just as easily applied to the existence of any supernatural power/God too.

The reality is humans are not advanced enough at this point in our existence to explain these issues. But giving up on the question and saying “I can’t explain it any other way, it must be God”, is a cop out.

Just because our knowledge is still too limited to fully answer the question is no reason to make things up.

Best answer for the time being is: "We don't know, but we're working on it."

#69 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,455 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

Yeah but I have kids, and a brother that was killed. So me losing a brother, and knowing that my kids will out live me (God willing), I would like to believe that I could reunite with them one day.

My sincere condolences on the loss of your brother.

It is only natural to want to be with those that you love and miss.

#70 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,930 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

I suspect there is a significantly larger percentage of Atheists in the USA than current data indicates.

These non self-identifying Atheists just recognize it is in their best interests to keep their non-believing beliefs to themselves.

In that respect, they are no different than their CINO brethren, they don't want to be culled from the comfort/benefits they derive from being part of our societal herd.

The data I used was from 1997, I think with the rise of the internet the number of athiests grew exponentially, because it's much easier to be exposed to other people/ideas.

#71 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,669 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

Huge assumption you're making. Kinda like that question, "When did you stop beating your wife?"

"It is only natural to want to be with those that you love and miss."
And I happen to think that this overwhelming desire is what created the entire hypothesis of an afterlife or a "heaven."

#72 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,530 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:19 PM

I think when you get down to abiogenesis, a lot of what is and isn't alive gets muddied to many people. I do not understand why you would need living building blocks in order to generate the building blocks for life. If non-living building blocks are able to self-replicate, then those building blocks that are "better replicators" for one reason or another would proliferate at a rate beyond other replicators. Life is more than just replication, though, and that would have come about later. Admittedly I do not have a strong background in abiogenesis, so I can't tell you very much its state right now.

We do not yet know explicitly how different chemicals came together to bring forth what we describe as life. Biology does not hold all the answers yet, but in my mind not having all the answers does not necessitate a god of the gaps. You are free to believe this, of course, but I don't find gaps in scientific knowledge to be suggestive of divinity myself, just suggestive of a need for further inquiry.

#73 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,914 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:05 PM

There will never be logically acceptable evidence of a god brought forth. Or at least I should say I've never seen and doubt I ever will see said evidence.

If a supposedly omnipotent entity or force could make itself known directly it would probably do so to everyone on the planet at measurable intervals if it were also omnibenevolent in order to minimize the people that it would choose to arbitrarily punish for having the wrong religion.

#74 Panthers128

Panthers128

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,283 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:55 PM

If someone were to point out the disproportionate number of blacks in prison they'd be called a racist. But to point out the number of religious people in prison is considered a valid argument by the same who consider looking at ethnicity of prisoners as racist.

Interesting logic.

Also there are exponentially more men in prison than women.

Perhaps we should exterminate everyone except for white and east Asian women who are atheists.

I'm sure none of this has anything to do with poverty.

#75 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,914 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:59 PM

If someone were to point out the disproportionate number of blacks in prison they'd be called a racist.

This is reality and it would not be racist to point it out. The racist thing to do would be to accept the persons being black as the causality behind the issue without looking further into the situation.

In other words we can look at these numbers but we need to consider what part of the story they tell and not see it as the entire picture.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com