112 replies to this topic

#76 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,142 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:36 PM

If someone were to point out the disproportionate number of blacks in prison they'd be called a racist. But to point out the number of religious people in prison is considered a valid argument by the same who consider looking at ethnicity of prisoners as racist.

Interesting logic.

Also there are exponentially more men in prison than women.

Perhaps we should exterminate everyone except for white and east Asian women who are atheists.

I'm sure none of this has anything to do with poverty.

You seem to literally never think of anything but black people

#77 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

All those questions can be just as easily applied to the existence of any supernatural power/God too.

The reality is humans are not advanced enough at this point in our existence to explain these issues. But giving up on the question and saying “I can’t explain it any other way, it must be God”, is a cop out.

Just because our knowledge is still too limited to fully answer the question is no reason to make things up.

Best answer for the time being is: "We don't know, but we're working on it."

I think when you get down to abiogenesis, a lot of what is and isn't alive gets muddied to many people. I do not understand why you would need living building blocks in order to generate the building blocks for life. If non-living building blocks are able to self-replicate, then those building blocks that are "better replicators" for one reason or another would proliferate at a rate beyond other replicators. Life is more than just replication, though, and that would have come about later. Admittedly I do not have a strong background in abiogenesis, so I can't tell you very much its state right now.

We do not yet know explicitly how different chemicals came together to bring forth what we describe as life. Biology does not hold all the answers yet, but in my mind not having all the answers does not necessitate a god of the gaps. You are free to believe this, of course, but I don't find gaps in scientific knowledge to be suggestive of divinity myself, just suggestive of a need for further inquiry.

I know the "God of the gaps" idea is a cop out, but that is only true if we leave it there. If God or gods truly did create life, then saying He did it would only be the beginning of coming to an understanding of how things got started. For instance, let's say if Yahweh created life. My question then would be how did He do it? Ultimately if true, it would fill in gaps and not create them. Then if it does fill our knowledge, that would be a reason/credit/proof for the existence of God.

#78 cantrell

cantrell

secular progressive bogeyman

• HUDDLER
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:49 PM

This is reality and it would not be racist to point it out. The racist thing to do would be to accept the persons being black as the causality behind the issue without looking further into the situation.

In other words we can look at these numbers but we need to consider what part of the story they tell and not see it as the entire picture.

yeah like i've posted the disproportionate incarceration rates, poverty rates, incomes, etc on here repeatedly. he doesn't want to be able to "point it out"; he wants to make a broad statement about "black culture" or what the fug ever. because sylvianlight is a racist.

#79 xlightsoutx

xlightsoutx

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,334 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:28 AM

I know the "God of the gaps" idea is a cop out, but that is only true if we leave it there. If God or gods truly did create life, then saying He did it would only be the beginning of coming to an understanding of how things got started. For instance, let's say if Yahweh created life. My question then would be how did He do it? Ultimately if true, it would fill in gaps and not create them. Then if it does fill our knowledge, that would be a reason/credit/proof for the existence of God.

People saying "this answers the question" is a reason why people believe in a god or gods.

People saying "this answers the question" is NOT a proof or evidence of god or gods.

Literally, your statement made basically no sense whatsoever.

#80 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 7,478 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:07 AM

If someone were to point out the disproportionate number of blacks in prison they'd be called a racist. But to point out the number of religious people in prison is considered a valid argument by the same who consider looking at ethnicity of prisoners as racist.

Interesting logic.

Also there are exponentially more men in prison than women.

Perhaps we should exterminate everyone except for white and east Asian women who are atheists.

I'm sure none of this has anything to do with poverty.

Really? I've heard that being brought up a ton of times and it not be considered racist. Now if one were to say that black people are all criminals that's why so many are in jail, then that would be racist. That's also not how those religious jail stats are being used for.

The reason people bring up Religious numbers in jail is because people tend to say and believe, being X religion makes you a good person and will make your life better etc. I think the jail numbers are just a counter to that silly logic. The point of them being used is to say, people can be good Christians, good Muslims, good atheist, good Jews, bad Christians, bad jews, bad muslims, bad atheist. It's to counter that ridiculous argument/belief that only x type religious people are good. Religion doesn't have much to do with being a good person or a bad person.

#81 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:29 PM

People saying "this answers the question" is a reason why people believe in a god or gods.

People saying "this answers the question" is NOT a proof or evidence of god or gods.

Literally, your statement made basically no sense whatsoever.

I'm saying if God created life, that would be the beginning of understanding how life got started. To leave it there, saying "God did it", would be a cop out. Now you would have to find out how did He do it. After all the research, theorizing, and experimenting from the question of how did He do it, would lead to deeper understanding.

If it does lead to deeper understanding, then that would be a proof for God's existence.

#82 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• HUDDLER
  • 6,054 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

I don't believe in god mostly because if I had awesome powers I'd have no problem showing them to people. Like when my wife and I got a flat tire. I didn't sit there and say I have the knowledge and power to change this tire but I'm not going to. I changed the damn tire. I've asked god to prove to me in some 100% irrefutable way that he exists, and he blew me off so I couldn't care less about him at this point.

#83 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 3,638 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:13 AM

I'm saying if God created life, that would be the beginning of understanding how life got started. To leave it there, saying "God did it", would be a cop out. Now you would have to find out how did He do it. After all the research, theorizing, and experimenting from the question of how did He do it, would lead to deeper understanding.

If it does lead to deeper understanding, then that would be a proof for God's existence.

Maybe this will help to fill in the "gaps"

It certainly has helped me when I've pondered the meaning of life on countless occasions.
http://youtu.be/2oEefLrtwv0

I am talking about the Guinness of course.

#84 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 18,199 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:59 PM

Time spent on things that don't seem to exist seems rather delusional. I'm sure serial killers can attest to this.

#85 SZ James

SZ James

• HUDDLER
  • 7,071 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

Time spent on things that don't seem to exist seems rather delusional. I'm sure serial killers can attest to this.

Why would you compare religious people to serial killers? That's not very polite. :(

#86 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 18,199 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:37 PM

I'm not actually. Comparing the endless threads on those that don't believe etc yet spend so much time on the topic of God/religion. Its kinda embarrassing.

#87 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,440 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:42 AM

Yeah I can't believe people debate this stuff on message boards.

#88 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,142 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

It's almost as embarrassing as people who aren't in the NFL but still debate Panthers football. Embarrassing.

#89 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:14 PM

You cant be an atheist without considering the possibility of a god

#90 kunu

kunu

beach'd

• HUDDLER
  • 8,026 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:11 PM

Yeah I can't believe people debate this stuff on message boards.

Anonymously on an online interface seems like a popular route of communication these days....just throwing it out there ;)

Its like throwing sh*t at a wall...some will get all riled up if they enjoy discussing the subject regardless of their beliefs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.