#93 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

i like to believe that something is waiting in the afterlife for people like casey anthony or sandusky. or a ken lay who steals millions of elderlys life savings. i guess I like to know that thier are consequences to our actions. even if no one catches us, or pardons our actions. You can run but you can't hide type of situation.

#94 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,454 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:35 PM

i like to believe that something is waiting in the afterlife for people like Casey Anthony or Sandusky. or a ken lay who steals millions of elderly life savings. i guess I like to know that their are consequences to our actions. even if no one catches us, or pardons our actions. You can run but you can't hide type of situation.

Me too. That would be great, because there are a lot of people just like the ones you listed that are never caught. An all knowing, all seeing, all powerful god could punish those people for eternity. But you know what? Based on what I've been told these slime balls can ask for God's forgiveness and he'll wipe their slate of evil deeds clean, all transgressions are forgiven. Meanwhile someone can do a lifetime of good serving others and go to hell because they choose not to believe in God or Christ. This was one of the first indicators to me that religion was based on the teachings of men not god, fear not love.

God could do a big favor for all victims throughout the ages by appearing before mankind occasionally to remind everyone there are eternal consequences for being inhumane towards one another. But he won't, because the god we are taught about in Sunday School doesn't exist. That or he works in mysterious ways. :wacko:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#95 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,515 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:17 AM

my biggest point of contention with the concept of the personal deity of the christian god is this idea that you've got a just being who declines the prayers for help from millions of fervent, pure-hearted believers in africa and asia and lets them starve/get shot/die of aids, but if you pray for help on your math test you'll get it (or if you're a certain terrible NFL quarterback, he'll tip games in your favor as long as you slide to one knee in front of the world.)

i'm still attempting to figure this one out. current theological answers haven't satisfied me.

#96 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:19 AM

The entire concept makes no sense.

I'd hope something as vitally important as eternal salvation wouldn't be so arbitrarily determined as to where you're born.

#97 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,914 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:15 AM

my biggest point of contention with the concept of the personal deity of the christian god is this idea that you've got a just being who declines the prayers for help from millions of fervent, pure-hearted believers in africa and asia and lets them starve/get shot/die of aids, but if you pray for help on your math test you'll get it (or if you're a certain terrible NFL quarterback, he'll tip games in your favor as long as you slide to one knee in front of the world.)

i'm still attempting to figure this one out. current theological answers haven't satisfied me.

what about anti-theological arguments?

#98 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

Me too. That would be great, because there are a lot of people just like the ones you listed that are never caught. An all knowing, all seeing, all powerful god could punish those people for eternity. But you know what? Based on what I've been told these slime balls can ask for God's forgiveness and he'll wipe their slate of evil deeds clean, all transgressions are forgiven. Meanwhile someone can do a lifetime of good serving others and go to hell because they choose not to believe in God or Christ. This was one of the first indicators to me that religion was based on the teachings of men not god, fear not love.

God could do a big favor for all victims throughout the ages by appearing before mankind occasionally to remind everyone there are eternal consequences for being inhumane towards one another. But he won't, because the god we are taught about in Sunday School doesn't exist. That or he works in mysterious ways. :wacko:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I always say there are three kinds of evil. Those who are just in it for the thrill, those who react instinctively in situations that could be deemed evil, {like killing someone who rapes your sister}. And those who just don't believe in sin. who believe there is no god. So I could publically apologize for all sorts of things and you or my constituates might believe it. But the one who apologizes doesn't. hopefully god knows how to recognize the genuine ones.

#99 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

Do you guys really think that if God Himself told people not to commit crime, they would stop doing it? If He told rapists to stop, murderers to stop, theives and con artists to stop, do you think they would stop?

#100 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,454 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

Do you guys really think that if God Himself told people not to commit crime, they would stop doing it? If He told rapists to stop, murderers to stop, thieves and con artists to stop, do you think they would stop?

Stop, probably not. There are too many off balance humans. Would it be significantly reduced? Absolutely.

Why are surveillance cameras so popular with private businesses, governments and home owners? They discourage crime and increase the likelihood of conviction if a crime is committed.

God is like the ultimate security camera. He is not only all knowing and all seeing, he is the final judge and jury. He has provided 10 simple commandments to follow. There is a fat red line, cross it and you'll suffer eternal damnation.

If that god shows up occasionally to lend credibility to his cause, not only would there be less crime and needless violence, humans would also be much more caring towards one another, other life forms and the planet as well.

Sadly that day will never come, as the whole heaven and hell / carrot and stick manipulation of human behavior is based on bronze age fables that have little to no basis in reality.

#101 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,525 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

Do you guys really think that if God Himself told people not to commit crime, they would stop doing it? If He told rapists to stop, murderers to stop, theives and con artists to stop, do you think they would stop?

I think if everyone knew God existed and he told people to stop committing crimes it would deter many people, but not all. One of the reasons that I don't think things like capital punishment work right now is that the gain is seen as greater than the loss; but if a supreme being and your creator comes out and says you're basically fuging yourself for all eternity, it might change some of how some people behave, especially since there is zero chance you don't get caught when the person watching out is basically all seeing and all knowing.

Yet it's not enough just to believe God exists, imo, to prevent crime... because I think even people that think God exists, who really believe he does, would be totally changed by him showing up on earth and being like "Listen up bitches, stop being dumbfugs and follow my ten fuging rules or you burn. Forever."

#102 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:06 PM

Stop, probably not. There are too many off balance humans. Would it be significantly reduced? Absolutely.

Why are surveillance cameras so popular with private businesses, governments and home owners? They discourage crime and increase the likelihood of conviction if a crime is committed.

God is like the ultimate security camera. He is not only all knowing and all seeing, he is the final judge and jury. He has provided 10 simple commandments to follow. There is a fat red line, cross it and you'll suffer eternal damnation.

If that god shows up occasionally to lend credibility to his cause, not only would there be less crime and needless violence, humans would also be much more caring towards one another, other life forms and the planet as well.

Sadly that day will never come, as the whole heaven and hell / carrot and stick manipulation of human behavior is based on bronze age fables that have little to no basis in reality.

I would agree that crime would be reduced. In fact it is said in Scripture, that when Jesus comes back and reign on the earth, it will almost be Heaven on earth. Even the lions will get along with it's prey, and people will live well over a hundred years.

Yet even so, deep down people will still reject Him, because nobody can really obey all of God's commands. It's not as simple as saying God telling us not to murder. God also said not to take His name in vain, and we do that all the time. Whether it be through saying it in disgust, or swearing by His name and then not keep our promises. Just by intentionally hurting someone, you are taking God's name in vain. (Because God created us all) All of this would be true if God exists.

So basically God is actually telling us to be perfect. It doesn't matter if God showed up and demanded that from us. We can't do it. (If we could be perfect, there would literally be no need for laws)

I think if everyone knew God existed and he told people to stop committing crimes it would deter many people, but not all. One of the reasons that I don't think things like capital punishment work right now is that the gain is seen as greater than the loss; but if a supreme being and your creator comes out and says you're basically fuging yourself for all eternity, it might change some of how some people behave, especially since there is zero chance you don't get caught when the person watching out is basically all seeing and all knowing.

Yet it's not enough just to believe God exists, imo, to prevent crime... because I think even people that think God exists, who really believe he does, would be totally changed by him showing up on earth and being like "Listen up bitches, stop being dumbfugs and follow my ten fuging rules or you burn. Forever."

Ultimately, believing God exists means nothing. It does nothing for you. As I was saying even if He came down and everyone physically saw Him, we still couldn't do what He wants us to do, nor can we keep all the laws. The more you try to keep God's laws, the worse off you are. (That is why the most miserable people in the world are those who have religion) So if God exists, He will have to reveal Himself to us, and most important of all, He will "do" for us. Think about it, what can I do for God? He owns the universe, has unlimited power, and so on. What can a man like me do for God? (I believe we all can agree to this point if a personal God exist) The only thing that I could do that would warm God's heart, is to take, take, and take some more from Him and let Him be God to me. The more I take from Him, the more I can share with others who don't have anything. That is why faith/trust is the only thing that pleases God in the Christian beliefs. It's the only system where it allows God or a god to be God. Yet not many people take from God, and that is why we see the many problems in the world today. We feel like we must earn everything through our hard work and ability. If nobody takes, then nobody shares. If nobody shares, then you see world hunger/the poor/hurting people/etc.

With all that said, I talked about why God doesn't physically appear before us a while back. Here's the thread for that one..... http://www.carolinah...-star-argument/ A lot of you disagreed with this argument, but it when you really look at it, it seems very valid. Man, we complain if the heat index rose to triple digits, and the sun is millions of miles away from earth. Imagine the creator of that sun and all the other stars, being right in front of our faces. (God's power is greater than any star) Again, I'm going to say if the Christian God exists, He revealed Himself in other ways. The last thing I'm going to mention, if we know that not everyone would obey God even if He Himself showed up, nor could anyone obey God perfectly anyway, perhaps not directly revealing Himself was the best way for people to come to Him in the right way. Out of love and not fear. Come to Him expecting to receive, and not us doing something for Him, as if He was the one who needed something. (By the way, I completely understand you guys' reasons for not believing God exists. I believe more scientific infomation will come about that will make people think about it, kind of bring up more discussion than ever before. Since the superstitious days of our ancestors)

#103 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,525 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:20 PM

Seems like a cop out to say "he's just too powerful." I tend to think there are many, many ways God could very easily convert pretty much the entire planet instantly without vaporizing the planet because he's more powerful than a sun or whatever.

#104 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,454 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:29 AM

Matthais,

Not likely to head back to church anytime soon but I have enjoyed reading your responses. You seem pretty reasonable for a believer and I mean that as a complement.

#105 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,956 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:55 AM

The entire concept makes no sense.

I'd hope something as vitally important as eternal salvation wouldn't be so arbitrarily determined as to where you're born.

This I agree on

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com