Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Creationism in Private Schools

227 posts in this topic

Posted

Straight ahead answer folks. Tell me what's factually incorrect about this statement:

"Some people believe that a higher power exists, and that this higher power created everything."

If there's nothing factually incorrect about that, then what's the big deal about saying that in a classroom?

You don't have to teach the Bible, don't have to say the name "God", don't have to mention any specific religion, none of it. All you have to do is make the above statement, and you've acknowledged intelligent design.

Explain to me the big deal about that.

Some people believe the Holocaust didn't happen. Should they have to say that in a History Class when teaching about the Holocaust?

1 person likes this

Posted

The jews were killed by fire breathing dragons disguised as dinosaurs, duh

1 person likes this

Posted

Some people believe the Holocaust didn't happen. Should they have to say that in a History Class when teaching about the Holocaust?

Is it a falsehood to say so?

Saying "some people believe" whatever does not constitute endorsement, just an acknowledgement of fact.

I'd add that there are significantly more people who would believe in intelligent design - or at least the possibility of it - than there are people who take denial of the Holocaust seriously.

Posted

Is an atheist who believes nothing in the Bible could possibly be true "objective"?

Do you honestly think anybody comes to the table completely devoid of preconceived notions?

No

but in what scenario would this matter? Are you talking in regards to science? Are you suggesting the Bible is scientific evidence?

Posted

who made God? I mean they say something can't just appear, what about God?

Posted

WE NEED TO DISCUSS THE CONTROVERSY! of Jews being killed by fire breathing dinos since it can't be "proved" that they didn't do it, disguised as Nazis.

After all the devil would totally use fire breating dinos disguised as Nazis to do his dirty work

Posted

WE NEED TO DISCUSS THE CONTROVERSY! of Jews being killed by fire breathing dinos since it can't be "proved" that they didn't do it, disguised as Nazis.

After all the devil would totally use fire breating dinos disguised as Nazis to do his dirty work

i agree. teach the controversy.

Posted

Is it a falsehood to say so?

Saying "some people believe" whatever does not constitute endorsement, just an acknowledgement of fact.

No but wtf should a school be made to waste time mentioning that not everyone believes exactly what's being taught? Seems like a waste of time.

Posted

No

but in what scenario would this matter? Are you talking in regards to science? Are you suggesting the Bible is scientific evidence?

No scenario, really. Just a response to Biscuit's question about whether a Christian scientist can be objective. Point being that lack of religious belief doesn't equal objectivity. Everyone has their preconceived notions.

Posted

No but wtf should a school be made to waste time mentioning that not everyone believes exactly what's being taught? Seems like a waste of time.

If "everyone" has to believe it, then how do you justify teaching evolution?

Or does it only have to be believed by "the people that matter"?

Heck, if "everyone" has to believe something for it to be acceptable, how do you teach social studies at all?

Posted

It still amazes me that we've created a worldwide internet meant to share information and make everyone more informed on things, and spend bandwidth on crap like this and TMZ.com

Posted

Is an atheist who believes nothing in the Bible could possibly be true "objective"?

Do you honestly think anybody comes to the table completely devoid of preconceived notions?

Oh plenty of people have pre-conceived notions, no question... but if someone truly believes something and their belief is by nature contrary to what they are studying, which do they follow?

Obviously not all christians believe in the literal interpretations of genesis, and obviously some scientists can study science without mixing in their own personal religious beliefs, but that no doubt makes it harder for them to be completely objective in my opinion.

Straight ahead answer folks. Tell me what's factually incorrect about this statement:

"Some people believe that a higher power exists, and that this higher power created everything."

If there's nothing factually incorrect about that, then what's the big deal about saying that in a classroom?

You don't have to teach the Bible, don't have to say the name "God", don't have to mention any specific religion, none of it. All you have to do is make the above statement, and you've acknowledged intelligent design.

Explain to me the big deal about that.

Nothing wrong with stating it, but that statement is really a religious issue... it has no more place in a science class than stating "some people believe that aliens seeded the earth with life"... OK, some people believe it... so what? Should that be said too? What beliefs should be stated in science class? Seems that if you give all of that equal billing with science, then class would get mighty long...