Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cat

Creationism in Private Schools

227 posts in this topic

That's pretty much the whole "intelligent design" debate.

So... you can't back that up either. :rolleyes:

Its my fault you can't show how this data is "interpreted differently"?

I show tolerance to reasonable thought and intellectual consideration. If someone has an idea and can show how that may have happened, well done. However, being open minded does not mean I have to believe or condone every poppycock idea that someone out there has come up with that lacks any evidence whatsoever. If I did, I would have to think that the lunatic on the street corner screaming about how the devil is inside his soup bowl may be correct.

So if you disagree with it, you can just dismiss it as an invalid option, regardless of how many other people might believe it.

Convenient.

It's not a "compromise" to teach religion in a science class, its simply NOT TEACHING fuging SCIENCE what is so hard to grasp about this simple concept

You can call it "philosophy" all you want but at the end of the day creationism is RELIGION. PERIOD.

Why aren't we all on here posting topics on when Sunday School is going to teach evolution?

Science classes should devote a semester to just standing there teaching "Some people believe God created the universe. Some people believe Xenu trapped thetans in our bodies. Some people believe Joseph Smith wore a magic hat. Some people believe that Zeus lives on Mt. Olympus. Some people believe that Venom has many accurate predictions for the future."

That way every special interest can have their ideas pushed, and people remain ignorant to science so that they can continue pushing their ideas to impressionable minds.

1 person likes this

Same old stuff, honestly.

We don't dare allow that there is anything other than the orthodoxy. We can't even acknowledge that there are people who disagree or who believe in things like religion because to even whisper such things means our children might somehow become brainwashed into believing them. We must deny even the very existence of opposition. This is the only way to ensure our children get a proper education.

Oh, and we must also teach tolerance for other people's ideas.

They're out there. You can look it up. I'm too lazy at the moment.

Would you deny that intelligent design has a pretty broad base of supporters?

Bottom line for me: All you have to do is teach that the core idea exists. You don't have to explore specific theories. Granted you could go into those that have broad support (same as you would with any other theory) but just the acknowledgement of the general idea would be enough for me.

Granted, others may go further, but that'd be all I'd want. And frankly, I don't see why something as simple as that is such a big deal to people.

Ah, but things like the Big Bang cannot be proven or disproven either. They are suggested by certain interpretations of evidence, interpretation on which people can legitimately disagree. And this is not the only thing of which that can be said.

To be clear, I'm not in favor of teaching creation science courses anywhere other than in private religious schools. The only thing I would ask of public schools is simple acknowledgement that intelligent design theory exists and has a fair share of supporters who view the evidence differently than those who espouse evolution.

Is that really too much to ask?

I don't want this to get to a bash Mr Scot thread, because it shouldn't, but I don't think anyone here has suggested that ideas not be taught... my point is WHICH ideas should be taught? Christian based intelligent design? Muslim creationism? Buddhist Creationism? Alien creationism?

Sure, ID has plenty of supporters... how many is enough? 1? 10? 1000? Do we have to teach every single idea that someone ever came up with? See where that leads us?

It's not really too much to ask, but where do you draw the line and who draws it?

As PhillyB said, the big bang can't be "proven" per se, but there is a ton of actual physical evidence to say that it is a valid theory. What actual physical evidence does ID or creation have or any of the other ideas that have been mentioned?

So... you can't back that up either. :rolleyes:

Its my fault you can't show how this data is "interpreted differently"?

Google Search: Evidence for Creationism

That's about as much effort as I feel like putting into it at the moment.

I don't want this to get to a bash Mr Scot thread, because it shouldn't, but I don't think anyone here has suggested that ideas not be taught... my point is WHICH ideas should be taught? Christian based intelligent design? Muslim creationism? Buddhist Creationism? Alien creationism?

Sure, ID has plenty of supporters... how many is enough? 1? 10? 1000? Do we have to teach every single idea that someone ever came up with? See where that leads us?

It's not really too much to ask, but where do you draw the line and who draws it?

As PhillyB said, the big bang can't be "proven" per se, but there is a ton of actual physical evidence to say that it is a valid theory. What actual physical evidence does ID or creation have or any of the other ideas that have been mentioned?

As far as specific ideas, I don't think you have to teach any of them.

Just acknowledge that there is a great deal of belief in theories of intelligent design. Someone wants to research the idea? Let 'em.

How hard is that to do?

i mean if we really are about teaching alternate viewpoints raelism certainly would qualify.

As far as specific ideas, I don't think you have to teach any of them.

Just acknowledge that there is a great deal of belief in theories of intelligent design. Someone wants to research the idea? Let 'em.

How hard is that to do?

Not hard, but appropriate? Maybe, maybe not...

i mean if we really are about teaching alternate viewpoints raelism certainly would qualify.

Hey, aliens are real buddy. Deal with it.

Not hard, but appropriate? Maybe, maybe not...

Hey, aliens are real buddy. Deal with it.

I don't see how it's inappropriate to simply acknowledge that there are widely held beliefs other than evolution.

How is it intellectually honest to deny that alternate theories even exist?