Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Creationism in Private Schools

227 posts in this topic

Posted

All I read here is that if you believe in creationism, you can't be a scientist.

Posted

Almost 200 years of scientific research, coupled with actual proof that evolution is an ongoing and verifiable process is "intellectual cowardice", yet quoting from a book and saying "thats the way it is" is not. Brilliant.

The world can actually point to this specific thread and see why the US is getting dumber and dumber every year.

Posted

All I read here is that if you believe in creationism, you can't be a scientist.

You are not known for actually comprehending what you read around here.

Posted

Oh and Mister Scot, just read the lengthy article I posted. I'm pretty sure the guy in there is not denying that creationism exists. I know it exists as well. It's just stupid and inane and devoid of ANY SCIENTIFIC work whatsoever.

Posted

I don't honestly care what you believe.

I'm bored with the whole discussion, honestly. But feel free to make a dozen more angry posts if it makes you feel better. I got better things to do (stuff I should have been doing for the last few hours instead of posting here) :(

Bottom line for me: Denying that alternate theories exist and saying that "it's not science unless you interpret it the way we say to interpret it" is a mark of intellectual cowardice.

I have a lot of respect for you on here Mr Scot... you're a class guy and always have been. I just don't agree with you on this.

I don't think that anyone has said what you're accusing them of and if they were, I would agree with you. CWG got carried away above, but that's pretty normal...

I'm not afraid of any ideas... and I didn't get that from anyone else that posted here. I'm just saying that there is a difference between a theory that is borne out by evidence and one that is a religious or philosophical belief .and they should be differentiated between in an educational setting.

Posted

Google Search: Evidence for Creationism

That's about as much effort as I feel like putting into it at the moment.

You didn't need to do that much work! Just refer to the first post in this thread. The Loch Ness Monster is more than enough evidence.

Posted

It's as simple as the reason why they don't teach Math in English class, or economics in chemistry. That's what most people are trying to explain.

Posted

It's as simple as the reason why they don't teach Math in English class, or economics in chemistry. That's what most people are trying to explain.

You do have semblences of math in english classes to teach some basic grammar rules...and you do have basic economics in chemistry..as in to balance equations. To say we can't bridge critical thought across multiple curricula is ignorant and short-sighted.

Posted

do I believe in God? yes

should creationalism be taught in school? no

leave the science to schools and dogma to church.

Posted

I don't see how it's inappropriate to simply acknowledge that there are widely held beliefs other than evolution.

How is it intellectually honest to deny that alternate theories even exist?

in a science class, if a fact-based, empirically-testable alternative was raised and cited, I would have a problem with the class or teacher shunning it because it was an alternate theory.

currently, every major theory is based on a religious or philosophical argument that attempts to poke holes in current theories to elevate its position. that's not science. keep it out of a science class.

Posted

So if you disagree with it, you can just dismiss it as an invalid option, regardless of how many other people might believe it.

Convenient.

If it has zero evidence to support it, damn right.

Posted

currently, every major theory is based on a religious or philosophical argument that attempts to poke holes in current theories to elevate its position. that's not science. keep it out of a science class.

Aristotle would tell you that you don't know wtf you're talking about, in so many words.