3,959 posts in this topic

Posted

Question for you pull up peoples.

This doesn't make sense to me. I finally got to where I could do 6 wide armed pull ups in a row without a break. I was pretty excited. I took a week off and when I came back I went back down to only being able to do 3 in a row. I couldn't get back to 6. I just lost it. I got so down because it was a goal I was working towards that I didn't do pull ups for weeks now I can only do two.

WTF?!!! Do muscles revert that quickly? What muscle do you think it is that is weakening so quickly?

Does any of this sound normal? My husband can take long breaks and come really close to his previous record.

1 person likes this

Posted

Question for you pull up peoples.

This doesn't make sense to me. I finally got to where I could do 6 wide armed pull ups in a row without a break. I was pretty excited. I took a week off and when I came back I went back down to only being able to do 3 in a row. I couldn't get back to 6. I just lost it. I got so down because it was a goal I was working towards that I didn't do pull ups for weeks now I can only do two.

WTF?!!! Do muscles revert that quickly? What muscle do you think it is that is weakening so quickly?

Does any of this sound normal? My husband can take long breaks and come really close to his previous record.

That is odd that you lost that many reps that quickly... did anything else change?

Usually when I'm out for any decent period (ie, more than 2 weeks) the first thing I notice is lacking is endurance and not strength.

I would say that in general, women probably lose muscle more quickly than men... the whole testosterone thing... but it shouldn't be THAT noticeable...

Posted

That is odd that you lost that many reps that quickly... did anything else change?

Usually when I'm out for any decent period (ie, more than 2 weeks) the first thing I notice is lacking is endurance and not strength.

I would say that in general, women probably lose muscle more quickly than men... the whole testosterone thing... but it shouldn't be THAT noticeable...

It seems crazy to me as well. Idk, maybe my body is weird.

Posted

It seems crazy to me as well. Idk, maybe my body is weird.

Well still... three is good... six is impressive. Work back up to it.

My wife did back with me Sunday and she got like 1 before I had to help her each set.

Posted

Cat, in regards to your pull up question, no you should lose that much by missing a week. A lot of other things could explain it. Were you properly hydrated? Did you do anything strenuous prior? Did you warm up? Are you eating below your caloric needs? All of these can impact resistance training.

Posted

Back to working out and eating at a caloric deficit.

One good thing is i didnt lose any on my squats but about 5 lbs on my bench and the rest of my exercises.

i am not going to post numbers to those exercises though because it is embarrassing.

Posted

I might be able to do one...that should make you feel better???

1 person likes this

Posted

Salty, everyone has to start somewhere. Most big guys at the gym laugh at people lifting more than they should, not people just starting.

1 person likes this

Posted

If you guys can't do pull ups, does your gym have pull down machines?

Work up with those... I didn't used to be able to do them either, I worked hard on the pull downs and now I can do sets for reps.

Posted

I know but I am so weak it is ridiculous. Ive been lifting since high school but my inconsistency has hampered me.

I mean really my max in bench is 115 12 times. lol

Posted

I know but I am so weak it is ridiculous. Ive been lifting since high school but my inconsistency has hampered me.

I mean really my max in bench is 115 12 times. lol

I'm no expert, but increase the weight and reduce the reps.

Posted

i have a good plan just need to stick with it. I havent done a max wieght and right now my bench sets are 115 888 one week and then 999 the next and then so on to 12 12 12 and then start all over with 8 8 8 with the weight increased by 15%