3454 replies to this topic

#271 Mrs Pantherfan

Mrs Pantherfan

Lusting on Zod

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

I might be able to do one...that should make you feel better???

#272 88 Bronco

88 Bronco

• HUDDLER
  • 5,901 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:30 AM

Salty, everyone has to start somewhere. Most big guys at the gym laugh at people lifting more than they should, not people just starting.

#273 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,983 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

If you guys can't do pull ups, does your gym have pull down machines?

Work up with those... I didn't used to be able to do them either, I worked hard on the pull downs and now I can do sets for reps.

#274 The Saltman

The Saltman

I am always watching so make sure you keep your clothes on

• Moderators
  • -24,949 posts
  • LocationAtlanta,GA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

I know but I am so weak it is ridiculous. Ive been lifting since high school but my inconsistency has hampered me.

I mean really my max in bench is 115 12 times. lol

#275 catfang

catfang

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,637 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

I know but I am so weak it is ridiculous. Ive been lifting since high school but my inconsistency has hampered me.

I'm no expert, but increase the weight and reduce the reps.

#276 The Saltman

The Saltman

• Moderators
  • -24,949 posts
  • LocationAtlanta,GA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

i have a good plan just need to stick with it. I havent done a max wieght and right now my bench sets are 115 888 one week and then 999 the next and then so on to 12 12 12 and then start all over with 8 8 8 with the weight increased by 15%

#277 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,983 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

i have a good plan just need to stick with it. I havent done a max wieght and right now my bench sets are 115 888 one week and then 999 the next and then so on to 12 12 12 and then start all over with 8 8 8 with the weight increased by 15%

Not sure I completely understand that formula there... but the weight is really inconsequential.

I only laugh at people (and not openly, only in my head) that are doing stupid things, like trying to one rep max a weight that they have no business messing with.

So, are you saying you do the same weight repeatedly? Just different rep amounts per set?

#278 88 Bronco

88 Bronco

• HUDDLER
  • 5,901 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

If a lat pull down is unavailable, negative pull ups are an option. Get yourself at the top of a pull up and hold yourself there. This will help build those muscles.

Those aren't bad numbers for reps. If you want to get stronger eat clean and lift hard. Eating between 200-500 calories above your daily needs will do it, as long as your macro nutrients are right

#279 The Saltman

The Saltman

• Moderators
  • -24,949 posts
  • LocationAtlanta,GA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

If a lat pull down is unavailable, negative pull ups are an option. Get yourself at the top of a pull up and hold yourself there. This will help build those muscles.

Those aren't bad numbers for reps. If you want to get stronger eat clean and lift hard. Eating between 200-500 calories above your daily needs will do it, as long as your macro nutrients are right

im at a caloric deficit right now actually so that might be a reason why im not increasing as dramatic. I need to get rid of my enormous stomach before i go on a caloric increase.

#280 The Saltman

The Saltman

• Moderators
  • -24,949 posts
  • LocationAtlanta,GA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

Not sure I completely understand that formula there... but the weight is really inconsequential.

I only laugh at people (and not openly, only in my head) that are doing stupid things, like trying to one rep max a weight that they have no business messing with.

So, are you saying you do the same weight repeatedly? Just different rep amounts per set?

rep amounts stay the same and increase by week until i can do the wieght 12 12 12.

it is based off of a 10 re max to start. so i did say i could do 115 12 times previously but it is 10.

then if i can do the wieght 12 12 12 that week i increase the wieght the next week and start back over again at the 8 rep range.

#281 88 Bronco

88 Bronco

• HUDDLER
  • 5,901 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

im at a caloric deficit right now actually so that might be a reason why im not increasing as dramatic. I need to get rid of my enormous stomach before i go on a caloric increase.

That would be it most likely. Early in your training you can lose fat and build muscle, but eventually you will plateau. I understand the desire to lose the stomach. Stick with it and you'll do it.

#282 The Saltman

The Saltman

• Moderators
  • -24,949 posts
  • LocationAtlanta,GA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

im fine with losing a little muscle right now to get rid of this fat on me and then go on a slow slow bulk

#283 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,983 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

rep amounts stay the same and increase by week until i can do the wieght 12 12 12.

it is based off of a 10 re max to start. so i did say i could do 115 12 times previously but it is 10.

then if i can do the wieght 12 12 12 that week i increase the wieght the next week and start back over again at the 8 rep range.

OK, I get it...

So try this next time just to change it up...

Instead of doing one weight 12 12 12 or whatever, try starting a little lighter, say 100 and do 12...

then to 115 say, 8 reps...

then to 125 6 reps

then to 135 4 reps

then back down... 115 6 or 8 reps, 100 10 or 12

Pyramid it... that way you're progressively putting more stress on the muscle you're working as it gets more fatigued and it will grow.

What else do you do in your workout exercise wise?

For example... on chest day I would:

Warmup (treadmill or bike, 10 minutes)

Warmup my chest (3 sets on pec deck at medium low weight)

Barbell Bench Press (pyramid sets as above)

Incline Dumbell Press (Pyramid sets)

Decline Barbell Press (Pyramid sets) or body weight dips ( 3 or 4 sets of whatever you can do)

Cable Flies (3 or 4 sets at medium weight focusing on form and squeezing muscles hard)

Abs

Cool down, stretch...

#284 The Saltman

The Saltman

• Moderators
  • -24,949 posts
  • LocationAtlanta,GA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

im doing a fully body workout and I didnt give my full details but it deloads the weight every other day.

for an example on monday im doing bench 2 warm up sets 50% lower on wieght 8 then 25% lower 8 then 115 8 and 8

Then I do squats 135 ..8 50% less and 8 25% less for warmup then I do 135 8 and 8

then i dont do warmups on the other exercises. Upright rows, stright leg deadlifts...so on and so forth

then on wednesday i take 10% off of the weight for each exercise and then friday take another 10% off all exercises.

then start over the next week with 9 reps instead of 8 and so on and so forth..oh and for your viewing pleasure

#285 The Saltman

The Saltman

• Moderators
  • -24,949 posts
  • LocationAtlanta,GA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

These are my workouts everyday

Bench press

Squats

overhead press

upright row