• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#91 CamX

CamX

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:47 PM

You could count on one hand the amount of fans that he had before the NFL draft but I forgot that everyone's a genius in foresight.

Not true, unless you are leaving a whole segment of people out. Cam had a lot of fans before the draft. He had a lot of haters that all looked the same.

#92 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,609 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:30 AM

His stats for yards and TDs speak for themselves.Overrated was a bad choice of words.

#93 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,609 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:35 AM

Some of these writers and talking heads need to create controversy to get attention.Skip Bayless admits that is the only thing that keeps him in TV.I see Joyner as more of the same.

#94 raleigh-panther

raleigh-panther

• HUDDLER
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:48 AM

Glad he is Carolina's over-rated player...can't think of too many teams in the NFL who would not love to have him.

Does he have work to do as last year was the first year in his craft....of course. Compare his rookie year to Jimmy Clausen's or Blaine Gabbert (who I think more than a few on this board wanted the Panthers to draft).

I'm glad Cam is our 'over-rated player'.

I play FF too....writer is trying to convince people not to draft him.

#95 lilfrales

lilfrales

NEWB

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:31 AM

Who would you rather have?

A. a qb that has 4,051yrds and 21 TD's (NOT TO MENTION HE WAS A ROOKIE) B)
B. a qb that is undecidable about signing :o
C. Josh Freeman..LOL :lol:
D. both b and c :rolleyes:

You Tell Me???

#96 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,558 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:37 AM

If we're being honest, NFL and football fan hype are generally to such ridiculous levels that even half-decent quarterbacks are elevated to the point of virtual godhood.

They're pretty much all overrated, and yes that includes Newton.

Folks should realize though that "overrated / overhyped" doesn't necessarily mean "bad". It just means that most folks who analyze them tend to maximize their talents and minimize their flaws. It's a fairly common phenomenon for guys who play on popular teams (Romo, Roethlisberger) and guys with a lot of "highlight reel" plays (Vick, Newton).

Bottom Line: Newton's still great. He just isn't perfect. And is he a tad overhyped? For the moment, probably. But I expect his game to try to catch up to the hype as his career progresses.

Of course, as he gets better, the hype will get even bigger.

#97 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,557 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:59 AM

Go ahead and say he is overrated but people will be fighting over him come fantasy draft time. Anyone with a brain knows Newton was not overrated.

#98 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:12 AM

Go ahead and say he is overrated but people will be fighting over him come fantasy draft time. Anyone with a brain knows Newton was not overrated.

Fantasy is just that.

Newton was awesome. He is a really good QB, and I probably already have him in my top 10, but admit it, he is a little overrated.

He is a human highlight reel, and needs to work to become more consistent. Not saying that he has to, to become a great QB, but to be one of the best and win day in and day out he has some work to do.

Big Ben and Eli up until last season were up and down passers, but both really good QB's. Manning, Brees, Brady, now those dudes are almost methodical in the passing game, and that is what Newton needs to strive for. Not saying that I want him to play the game like Brady, but become more of a pure passer like Brady.

When/If he does this, he/we will be unstoppable.

#99 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,206 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

All that matters is that Cam himself says he needs to: be more consistent, cut down on turnovers, be a better leader, and win as many games as possible.

If he's focused on that, with his work ethic and talent, there's really nothing else to worry about in the future.

#100 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,557 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

Fantasy is just that.

Newton was awesome. He is a really good QB, and I probably already have him in my top 10, but admit it, he is a little overrated.

He is a human highlight reel, and needs to work to become more consistent. Not saying that he has to, to become a great QB, but to be one of the best and win day in and day out he has some work to do.

Big Ben and Eli up until last season were up and down passers, but both really good QB's. Manning, Brees, Brady, now those dudes are almost methodical in the passing game, and that is what Newton needs to strive for. Not saying that I want him to play the game like Brady, but become more of a pure passer like Brady.

When/If he does this, he/we will be unstoppable.

Then what he said does not matter because he writes for a Fantasy part of a company. Seriously if you think Newton is overrated your just trying to find a fault in the kid. Besides the fact every QB you named became that way with time not just right out of the gate. Remember Brees was let go for Rivers because he was an underachieving QB. Furthermore both Eli and Big Ben were avg at best QBs when they went to the SB and were back by very good defenses. If Newton would have had even a top 20 defense last year we would have made the playoffs.

#101 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

Newton isn't "overrated". He was "underrated", "underestimated", and "undermined" coming out of college.

#102 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:38 PM

Newton isn't "overrated". He was "underrated", "underestimated", and "undermined" coming out of college.

I have a hard time with most of your comments, this one however is spot on. Pie for you.

#103 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 19,935 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:42 PM

Not true, unless you are leaving a whole segment of people out. Cam had a lot of fans before the draft. He had a lot of haters that all looked the same.

I see what you did there. Excellent work.

#104 beastson

beastson

Big Money

• HUDDLER
  • 9,200 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:50 PM

Cam remembers. And Cam does not forget.

#105 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER