• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 Achilles

Achilles

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:49 AM

That combined with consistency from some of our vets like Gross, D. Will/J. Stew, C Johnson, Beason, Gamble...I could go on...Cam...

I mean...how likely is it that all of the rookies listed in this thread (Keuchly, Norman, Silatolu, Adams, Alexander) will have break out years? I think we need to expect a learning curve for all of these guys. Will they all be starter quality by week ? I don't know.

But its a long season. I don't think they all need to have an instant impact for us to be a winning team. If you want to talk about Super Bowl quality then, yeah, all of these guys plus the vets must have stellar seasons.

#32 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,056 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:24 AM

I think Kuechly is gonna be a beast, our very own Brian Urlacher.

#33 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,632 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:43 AM

While I am rather optimistic about this season the kool aid is a little strong for me right now. We still have questions at UT, CB 2, both safety spots and the overall performance of ST.

No pads, no contact, no full speed as of yet.

Do I think Norman and others can fill those voids adequately? Yes, but it's far too early to anoint these guys starters or studs, it's not quite July yet.

#34 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,107 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:00 AM

Ah, anybody else remember before the draft when half this forum was against Kuechly despite the fact it was evident to anybody how good of a talent he was?

Not calling out anyone in this thread in particular. I actually don't even know if anybody in this thread was against him or not. Just find it odd that I haven't seen an anti-Kuechly post since.

I was against drafting a MLB at the 9 spot when we have a 50 million dollar MLB on the roster already.

Also because IMO spending high draft picks on 43 LB's and RB's is not the way to the Super Bowl....again, IMO.

But now he is part of the team, why would I or anyone else bash him?

#35 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,107 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:05 AM

I firmly believe this draft will go down as the best draft in franchise history, not counting Cam of course.

Wow, seriously?

#36 Chaos

Chaos

@chaos_cltsports

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,064 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:11 AM

Almost every year people get excited about a few players in practice and say they are are sure bet then they get cut or ride the pine. Remember when AE was going to be unstoppable?

Wut?

#37 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,654 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:11 PM

Ah, anybody else remember before the draft when half this forum was against Kuechly despite the fact it was evident to anybody how good of a talent he was?

Not calling out anyone in this thread in particular. I actually don't even know if anybody in this thread was against him or not. Just find it odd that I haven't seen an anti-Kuechly post since.

I was one of the people that thought taking Kuechly at 9 was a reach and still do with the same void at CB2 and UT. Still we drafted him and I will support him as long as he is on the team. Hell I hated the AE trade and I still support him.

#38 klbishop143

klbishop143

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest (it sucks here)

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:48 AM

just hope kuechly is the answer to the TE's in our division

#39 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,611 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

I disagree. Alexander is going to be rotational, so any impact he has is going to be a bonus. Adams just has to field the punts and not fumble, and we still make the playoffs. If Silatolu plays like a rookie, we put Pollak in and still make the playoffs. Also, even if Kuechly doesn't make an immediate impact, we have 3 other starting caliber LBs in Davis, Beason and Anderson.

Really the only person on that list who needs to make an immediate impact for us to make a run at the playoffs, is Josh Norman in my opinion.

We need all these guys to come up big to make the playoffs.I think you are being over confident to think Davis and Beason will be heal and back to their old selves.Josh covering Smitty in shorts is no indication of what things will be at full speed with the pads on.

#40 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,611 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:34 AM

I was one of the people that thought taking Kuechly at 9 was a reach and still do with the same void at CB2 and UT. Still we drafted him and I will support him as long as he is on the team. Hell I hated the AE trade and I still support him.

I understand why people did not want another lb with our 9th pick.If he turns out to be a probowl player it will look more like the right pick.If Beason Davis and Anderson remain healthy it may look less like the right pick.My opinion is if he can cover the TEs and running backs in the passing game that will serve our defense better than the 2nd rated cb in the draft would have. We will have to wait and see.

#41 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,651 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

I firmly believe this draft will go down as the best draft in franchise history, not counting Cam of course.

While it is way too early to tell there will a number of guys who get a chance to start or play significant minutes. As for best draft ever as you noted, it will hard to beat last year because Cam alone made it great. Still the 2001 draft where we drafted Smith, Morgan and Kris Jenkins will be hard to beat. Given how much Weinke has helped Newton so far, that pick may be much better for what he could do after he retired for us then when he played here.

#42 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,651 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:53 AM

It is ridiculous that people are still voicing concerns about Kuechly as our pick. Rivera who is a defensive genius had his choice of a number of corners, tackles and other defensive players and he chose Kuechly. He has said that our tackle position is solid and is likely to bring in another corner if the ones we have don't produce.
He is listed in an article today as an instant impact rookie, Beason said he is way ahead of where Beason was at the same point as a rookie, and is praised by one an all.

What makes any of you think you are smarter than Rivera or Beason????

#43 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,742 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:17 PM

It is ridiculous that people are still voicing concerns about Kuechly as our pick. Rivera who is a defensive genius had his choice of a number of corners, tackles and other defensive players and he chose Kuechly. He has said that our tackle position is solid and is likely to bring in another corner if the ones we have don't produce.
He is listed in an article today as an instant impact rookie, Beason said he is way ahead of where Beason was at the same point as a rookie, and is praised by one an all.

What makes any of you think you are smarter than Rivera or Beason????

We're football fans, we know everything.

#44 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,448 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

They put Norman on Smitty and he didn't sink. So people are jumping on that. When your CB position is seen as a weak link, you tend to get excited when a young CB comes in and looks the part.

I truly believe this was a brilliant move by Rivera. Throw the kid at Smitty during basically glorified walk throughs. If he looks good, as he seemed too, then he gets a jolt of confindence moving forward. He may jump back into training with a renewed confidence. It may be a smart move in the long run. Or, he could go the other way and think he has it made. From what little I know this kid is a worker, so I am leaning toward working and learning.

If Norman is as smart as he seems to be talented. We may have found a nugget there in the 5th.

#45 Gallagher

Gallagher

Never Doubt Davis

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

We need all these guys to come up big to make the playoffs.I think you are being over confident to think Davis and Beason will be heal and back to their old selves.Josh covering Smitty in shorts is no indication of what things will be at full speed with the pads on.

I agree that Norman is unproven. All I was saying is that with Silatolu and Kuechly, we have vets that can start in place of them if need be, namely Pollak and Davis respectively. I would argue that we could still make the playoffs with Pollak and Davis starting, so we don't need all of our rookies to come up big. Sitting behind veterans and learning the game could go a long way for a player like Amini. Really, I think the rookie we need the most out of to be successful is Norman.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com