Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CBS: Ten players likely to take a step back

54 posts in this topic

Posted

All i really want for this year is Cam becoming Elite, and with out a doubt top 5 QB

thats all you're aksing fo? Aks 10 different people who their top 5 qb's are and you will get 10 different answers.

Posted

An I the only one that thinks this "teams will have a year of tape on Newton" argument is getting tired? No team that we face outside of our first opponent is going to spend the summer looking at Cam Newton tape. They will be doing installs for their own defense, and they'll watch tape on Cam the week they play us. If anything, Cam will have the advantage of watching tape of himself with Chud and Shula and seeing what things he did well and what he did poorly.

Posted

Regardless of what he does, Cam will take a step back numbers wise if no true #2 threat steps forward or if the run game falters.

Last year when teams started keying in on Smith again, Cam's stats fell significantly (though we did start winning more).

Posted

An I the only one that thinks this "teams will have a year of tape on Newton" argument is getting tired? No team that we face outside of our first opponent is going to spend the summer looking at Cam Newton tape. They will be doing installs for their own defense, and they'll watch tape on Cam the week they play us. If anything, Cam will have the advantage of watching tape of himself with Chud and Shula and seeing what things he did well and what he did poorly.

Teams have years of footage on Brady, Brees, Rogers, Manning, etc, and year after year these guys continue to carve up defenses. There is only so much you can do to contain the elite - and here's hoping that Cam falls into this category.

1 person likes this

Posted

The flipside to teams having "a year of tape" is that Newton also has "a year of experience".

Add in that Rob Chudzinski is a very good "chess thinker", meaning that he anticipates how others will adjust to what the team has done. That's something the best OCs do, and I believe we'll see a fair amount of new stuff this season.

1 person likes this

Posted

Those of you looking at Cam regressing and using the 4K passing yards as a marker are looking at the wrong type of stat. Quantity stats like total passing yards tell you very little. Looking at yards per attempt or TD/Int ratio are much better stats to judge his overall performance. Focusing on quality stats which assess his production in a context are much better than looking at total yard stats which focus on quantity over quality.

1 person likes this

Posted

Regardless of what he does, Cam will take a step back numbers wise if no true #2 threat steps forward or if the run game falters.

Last year when teams started keying in on Smith again, Cam's stats fell significantly (though we did start winning more).

yep, teams keyed in on the pass and we ran on them bitches. one way or the other, our offense will be productive. take what the defense is giving, or not taking away. we struggled to run early in the year for various reasons, cam stepped up and proved they have to defend the pass, and wala! the run game improved. it's not that the pass game regressed, it was that the run game progressed.

Posted

Those of you looking at Cam regressing and using the 4K passing yards as a marker are looking at the wrong type of stat. Quantity stats like total passing yards tell you very little. Looking at yards per attempt or TD/Int ratio are much better stats to judge his overall performance. Focusing on quality stats which assess his production in a context are much better than looking at total yard stats which focus on quantity over quality.

Exactly. If Cam throws for 3,500 yards, but has a TD/INT ratio of 23/5 instead of 21/17, I'll be ecstatic.

Posted

I see cam having 26 passing td's and 10 interceptions..........

Posted

I'm surprised Matt Ryan isn't on this list. He's going to regress this year.

Posted

I certainly would not doubt the other NFC south teams are studying him.

Posted

I'm not worried about Cam. If he struggles you still have a monster running attack to lean on. Cam wasn't an out of this world passer. His rushing yards is what helped him win the ROY.