i still rock my custom-made jeremy leman jersey

I believe he is on the Raiders squad now

#32 edromeo

edromeo

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

Gettis if healthy seems like a logical choice to step up.
But, if the Panthers are looking for more of a slot type WR Joe Adams has a great skillset for that type of role.

#33 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 11,885 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

Is delhommey still lamenting about debates that took place 3 years ago lol get over it

No, I'm reliving it.

The logic is just as warped as before.

#34 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,769 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:08 PM

Also don't underestimate the fact that now that the QB position has been stabilized and the offensive philosophy has changed to a more pass-oriented style, the WRs we bring in are going to be more productive. Don't count out LaFell breaking 1000 this season

Even for a homer like me, this is a little far fetched. Lafell should be in the 5-7 hundred area. He catches everything, so all he needs are the targets. So if Brandon can get 60-70 catches, his numbers should improve dramatically. I just can't see him getting enough catches for a 1k season.

Not sure where the misconception started. We can throw the ball, and we can run the ball. But, we are not a passing team. At least going on recent history. We had a what? 52-48 pass to run ratio last year? I expect that ratio to remain rather steady. So there are only so many yards to go around. I expect about 4k passing yards with Smitty getting 1500. That's leaves 25k to go around. Why not Lafell?

We have an eclectic group of WRs at the moment. Seems I am not the only one wondering how this is all going to play out.

#35 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,106 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:23 PM

I think Lamont Bryant could be a great receiver for us. Then again what do I know, I liked Taye Bittle.

#36 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 16,794 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:16 PM

I expect about 4k passing yards with Smitty getting 1500. That's leaves 25k to go around. Why not Lafell?

If we have 25k more passing yards to go around then Smith will surely be last with a mere 1500.

I actually expect more running this season, Smith will top 1k, but I don't see 1500 with the emergence of LaFell and the addition of Tolbert. I do think Gettis can be a dangerous weapon, he's tall, fast, attacks the ball and is a very good blocker. With him it'll come down to comfort and confidence in his knee.

#37 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,769 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:07 AM

If we have 25k more passing yards to go around then Smith will surely be last with a mere 1500.

I actually expect more running this season, Smith will top 1k, but I don't see 1500 with the emergence of LaFell and the addition of Tolbert. I do think Gettis can be a dangerous weapon, he's tall, fast, attacks the ball and is a very good blocker. With him it'll come down to comfort and confidence in his knee.

Yeah, I guess there will be no sophmore slump for Cam. Oopsy

I am under the impression that Rivera would prefer Gettis step into that #3 role. And maybe push Lafell for that #2. But I could be reading something from nothing. Just a feeling from things I have read and heard, Rivera still talks glowingly about Gettis. Tempered with that pesky returning from injury thingy as well. I also think that even though he missed the whole year, Gettis is still the favorite to win that #3 spot. He at least has real NFL experience.

Would like to know what you feel would be running more? The balance they showed at the end of the year was pretty devastating. We were in the 52-48 pass to run range. If we can stay there we should be hard to defend. We even ran the dreaded 3rd and long draw a few times and no one seemed to mind. So although we still run the ball effectively, we just have a good balance between the pass and run.

My giddy is going nutsoid waiting on camp to start. All these competitions are going to be interesting.

#38 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 16,794 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:22 AM

More of what we saw at the end of the year, we didn't do a lot of running early in the season. If you maintain that balance throughout the season and have a D that won't piss a lead away it'll away some throwing opportunities.

#39 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,391 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

I think everyone would love to see Gettis step up but given his injury I do not think he will be 100% until after the season opens.

#40 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

Even for a homer like me, this is a little far fetched. Lafell should be in the 5-7 hundred area. He catches everything, so all he needs are the targets. So if Brandon can get 60-70 catches, his numbers should improve dramatically. I just can't see him getting enough catches for a 1k season.

Not sure where the misconception started. We can throw the ball, and we can run the ball. But, we are not a passing team. At least going on recent history. We had a what? 52-48 pass to run ratio last year? I expect that ratio to remain rather steady. So there are only so many yards to go around. I expect about 4k passing yards with Smitty getting 1500. That's leaves 25k to go around. Why not Lafell?

We have an eclectic group of WRs at the moment. Seems I am not the only one wondering how this is all going to play out.

Considering the fact that LaFell had to play in the slot as he hadn't picked up the playbook that well yet, what he was able to do was very good.

He's got the skill set to produce in a vertical offense such as the one we run

#41 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:18 PM

No, I'm reliving it.

Posted Image

oh good thing i've been thinking brett basanez and stefan lefors could've been franchise QBs with a little bit of development

#42 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 11,885 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:40 PM

#43 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,769 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:18 PM

Considering the fact that LaFell had to play in the slot as he hadn't picked up the playbook that well yet, what he was able to do was very good.

He's got the skill set to produce in a vertical offense such as the one we run

Not sure it was the playbook keeping him off the field. IMO, even with his obvious skills, it took a while for Rivera to trust him. Lafell started as the #3 and finished #2. He has worked and proven he should be on the field. There is no reason not to believe he should be considered a legitimate WR in the NFL.

Rivera loves versatility. And Lafell can now bring that. The question becomes. Who can win Rivera's trust and win some playing time? I have no true hopes other than Bryant pulling the upset and making the team. And I think Adams will be doing more than returning punts in short order. Chud will find new and exciting ways to spread the ball around. And we have a WR corp full of potential and excitement.

If Barney steps up, we really are not in a hurry to find that #3WR. It is a work in progress, and will not end until Rivera has a corp he can trust. But he is not going to rush into anything with these guys. If Barney does not pan out, then we may have to move that timetable up as regards to the #3WR. But I just have a feeling Barney is finally ready to shine. Would be nice for one of my feelings to actually work out. But that is neither here nor there.

Just some random thoughts. And GOOOOOOO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#44 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

and your posts are just as stupid as they were before

#45 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• HUDDLER
  • 3,011 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:34 PM

. . .
If Barney steps up, we really are not in a hurry to find that #3WR. It is a work in progress, and will not end until Rivera has a corp he can trust. But he is not going to rush into anything with these guys. If Barney does not pan out, then we may have to move that timetable up as regards to the #3WR. But I just have a feeling Barney is finally ready to shine. Would be nice for one of my feelings to actually work out. But that is neither here nor there.

Adams, Barnidge, Pilares, Gettis, Edwards. . . and some would add Lamont "you big dummeh" Bryant and Tutu

thats a crap load of what if's, anyone of them could work out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.