Photo
- - - - -

Pennsylvania Republican Mike Turzai explains the goal of his state's Voter ID laws for us

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
84 replies to this topic

#25 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

They should just force people to get RFID chips and scan those when you vote.

#26 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

HUDDLER

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

They should just force people to get RFID chips and scan those when you vote.

Only if we can choose where to have them embedded.

"RFID chip sir?"

"Excuse me while I whip this out."

#27 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

HUDDLER

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:22 PM

Only if we can choose where to have them embedded.

"RFID chip sir?"

"Excuse me while I whip this out."

lol, the old women that run my precinct would love that

#28 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

HUDDLER

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

I agree that if the government is going to require id's, they should provide everyone with a voterid card. Actually though, they do. At least I got one from my home county but it doesn't have a picture on it. But that, along with some other form of id, such as a birth cert, or even one of those old bibles with birth records should suffice.

That being said, I think both sides make to big of a deal out of this issue.

#29 chris999

chris999

HUDDLER

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:11 PM

I think that voter IDs should be free, that way no one can have a serious argument about it affecting votes of not.

Set up an ID making machine outside the polls. People who go to vote, who dont have an ID, can get one made while they are waiting in line at the polls.

#30 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

HUDDLER

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

What's wrong with voter ID? Somebody casting a vote in an American election should have to prove they are eligible to vote.

I don't have a problem with voter ID. We have it here in AK.

But let’s not kid ourselves; this is primarily about disenfranchisement as indicated in the OP. It is happening nationwide where ever the GOP is in control. It is for the most part disenfranchising those demographics that traditionally vote for the Democrats and has the real potential of swinging close elections that would otherwise go to the Democratic candidate.

If you want to pass a law requiring Picture IDs and allow several years to comply I'm on board. If you want to require it for the next national election when there is no verified evidence of significant voter fraud in this country, I will call it like it is, a ploy by the GOP to steal the upcoming election.

Pennsylvania Voter ID Law Threatens To Disenfranchise Nearly 10 Percent Of State's Voters

"Voter ID -- which is going to allow Gov. [Mitt] Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania -- done," Pennsylvania GOP House Majority Leader Mike Turzai told a group of cheering attendees at a Republican State Committee meeting.

http://www.huffingto..._n_1652469.html

More than 758,000 registered voters in Pennsylvania do not have photo identification cards from the state Transportation Department, putting their voting rights at risk in the November election, according to data released Tuesday by state election officials.

The figures - representing 9.2 percent of the state's 8.2 million voters - are significantly higher than prior estimates by the Corbett administration. Secretary of the Commonwealth Carol Aichele has repeatedly said that 99 percent of Pennsylvania's voters already had the photo ID they will need at the polls in November.

The new numbers, based on a comparison of voter registration rolls with PennDot ID databases, shows the potential problem is much bigger, particularly in Philadelphia, where 186,830 registered voters - 18 percent of the city's total registration - do not have PennDot ID.

http://articles.phil...-voter-id-cards

#31 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

so this site thinks jerry jones is a good owner now i guess

SUPPORTER

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:31 AM

What's wrong with voter ID? Somebody casting a vote in an American election should have to prove they are eligible to vote.

Do you support fraudulent votes? You have to show ID to buy alchohol, cigarettes, and a myriad of other things. Showing ID will not suppress anybody from voting unless that person does not qualify to vote. It's a no brainer.

So why do you oppose voter ID?

all i did was post a video of a prominent republican politician explaining why he's in favor of voter ID

how would you react to a democrat giving a speech following the repeal of a voter ID law that contained a phrase like "repeal of voter ID laws, which will allow president obama to win this state. done."?

obama won pennsylvania by over 600,000 votes in 2008. either mike turzai is asserting that 600,000 cases of voter fraud occurred at the polls, or he's literally referring to penn's voter ID law as a disenfranchisement effort. how else can you interpret a statement like, and i quote, "Voter ID, which is gonna allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania, done.”?

#32 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

SUPPORTER

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:44 AM

also all of you who think it's no big deal should read this article posted on the previous page:
http://articles.phil...-voter-id-cards

these measures are intended to stress out state resources and make it a pain in the ass for people in demographics that are annoying to republicans to vote, bottom line. i know conservatives have blue balls for it but it's something that needs to be phased in over the course of several years instead of shoehorned through like eight months before the general election.

But for most voters, the Pennsylvania driver's license is the standard photo ID. The disclosure that 9 percent of the state's registered voters don't have one - or an alternative, nondriver PennDot photo ID - provides a clearer picture of the hurdle set up by the state's new voter ID requirement.

lmao 9 percent of the state who were previously able to vote possibly locked out of the general election. what tools you all are. also if any of you would like to prove that 600,000+ cases of voter fraud occurred in pennsylvania in 2008 and this move will subsequently stop that thus handing the state to romney fair and square, then be my guest.

#33 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

SUPPORTER

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

Aparently, government mandates to purchase things are now legal, so all we need is a government mandate to purchase a Photo ID, and the problem is solved.

wow, i hadn't thought of it that way.

the only real issue with this airtight argument is that you need the supreme court to overturn the 24th amendment and make poll taxes (which is exactly what making people pay for an ID in order to vote is) legal again.

#34 MCP

MCP

Peace, Love, Uke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

wow, i hadn't thought of it that way.

the only real issue with this airtight argument is that you need the supreme court to overturn the 24th amendment and make poll taxes (which is exactly what making people pay for an ID in order to vote is) legal again.

If the mandate said you had to puchase it to vote, you may have a point, but since all I said was mandate that everyone have a photo ID. your argument equals fail.

And since eveyone would then have a Photo ,by government mandate, there is no reson they shouldn't show it to prove who they are when they go to vote.

#35 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

SUPPORTER

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

If the mandate said you had to puchase it to vote, you may have a point, but since all I said was mandate that everyone have a photo ID. your argument equals fail.

And since eveyone would then have a Photo ,by government mandate, there is no reson they shouldn't show it to prove who they are when they go to vote.

caveats would have to be made for people who have religious objections just like with the health care reform which would otherwise still result in the issue of people being unable to vote. you'd also have state governments bitching about a federal mandate being foisted upon them with many outright refusing to cooperate which is exactly what happened in 2005 when the real ID act forced the states to comply with minimum federal standards for driver's licenses and other IDs. that law has now been basically shelved with half of the states choosing not to comply at all: http://en.wikipedia....iki/REAL_ID_Act. that is also what is happening with the medicaid expansion under the PPACA in some states to keep the obamacare analogy rolling.

then there's the issue of high-powered groups like the ACLU suing on a 24th amendment basis anyway.

so yes i suppose i sure did "fail hard" by mildly misinterpreting your inane proposition.

#36 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

HUDDLER

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

All photo IDs must contain an expiration date that is current, unless noted otherwise. Acceptable IDs include:

• Photo IDs issued by the U.S. Federal Government or the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania:
  • Pennsylvania driver’s license or non-driver’s license photo ID (IDs are valid for voting purposes 12 months past expiration date)
  • Valid U.S. passport
  • U.S. military ID - active duty and retired military (a military or veteran’s ID must designate an expiration date or designate that the expiration date is indefinite). Military dependents’ ID must contain an expiration date
  • Employee photo ID issued by Federal, PA, County or Municipal government
  • Photo ID cards from an accredited Pennsylvania public or private institution of higher learning
  • Photo ID cards issued by a Pennsylvania care facility, including long-term care facilities, assisted living residences or personal care homes
If you do not have one of these IDs and require one for voting purposes, you may be entitled to get one FREE OF CHARGE at a PennDOT Driver License Center.

The linked article on list those people who do not have a id from the transportation department. Doesn't list the ;numbers that have the other kinds of id. And the law says people can get a free id from the department of transportation. So I don't see that they have any excuse for not voting.