Photo
- - - - -

Sporting News: Expect Panthers defense to improve

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#37 jarhead

jarhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:36 PM

Lets face it our secondary with the exception of Gambles looked like lost sheep last year.After watching most of the games on NFL rewind many of the big plays we gave up were mental errors.Not to say there was not bad coverage or tackling but the big plays were guys being out of place.Captain was moved to outside which is not where he needs to be.Will we be better yes..how much better is yet to be seen.With all the hype over how good Norman looks without pads I share Smittys sentiments"this is not Coastal Carolina".Do I think Capt is the answer at the number 2 absolutely not.So in summary I think our front 7 will get better but I will just about guarantee the the secondary is keeping Rivera up at night.We will be better but I am not sold on the secondary.

#38 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:20 PM

Wasn't Butler a highish pick? I keep thinking late 2nd. Compared to every other CB, except Gamble, he is as close to royalty we have. No wonder we struggle against the pass. Just making the point that, on paper we are where we are supposed to be. At, or near, the bottom.

The competition alone will aid in this teams development. Better practices, usually, mean better games. Add in a full year of coaching, for everyone but Norman, so the knowledge increased, and the instincts were honed. How about this? Last year they were given a toolbox and told to go to work. This offseason, they were taught the how, when, and why behind each tool.

This is not the same crew from last years TC. Most of these guys are going to show out this year. They are primed and ready to go after it. I can't actually see the improvement. But I can sure as hell envision it.

Again I say, why not? Hogan, why not? Butler, why not? Norman, why not? They all know what is at stake, and I can envision a great camp battle amongst these guys. NO! Capt cannot play corner.

Man, I am absolutely gonna love living by Wofford this year. And Giddy the hell up. GOOOOOOO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#39 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:17 PM

Butler was drafted somewhere in the second by New England. He has incredible physical tools but has never put it all together. He is serviceable but not a quality starter.

#40 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:48 PM

Butler was drafted somewhere in the second by New England. He has incredible physical tools but has never put it all together. He is serviceable but not a quality starter.

So here is the time line as I know it. Had a decent rookie year. In his 2nd year he got hurt rather early and lost his job. Never won the job back, and was later released early in year 3. Is that about right?

If so, shouldn't it be about time for him to put those tools to good use?

I keep wanting to say 2nd round talent, he will show up. Then it hits me, NE is pretty crappy in the drafting department. So which Butler do we have? The one about to reclaim his birthright as a starting CB? Or the Butler that lost his job and has yet to recover?

Any Hogan updates? Thanks in advance. And GOOOOOOO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#41 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

HUDDLER

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

What is sad, Butler had a first round grade on him.

The corners taken in front of him were Malcolm Jenkins, Vontae Davis, and Alphonso Smith.

Lardarius Webb (3rd round pick) and Jason McCourty (6th round pick) were great picks based on where they were taken but overall the 2009 cornerback class just didn't produce.

#42 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

HUDDLER

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:59 PM

So here is the time line as I know it. Had a decent rookie year. In his 2nd year he got hurt rather early and lost his job. Never won the job back, and was later released early in year 3. Is that about right?

If so, shouldn't it be about time for him to put those tools to good use?

I keep wanting to say 2nd round talent, he will show up. Then it hits me, NE is pretty crappy in the drafting department. So which Butler do we have? The one about to reclaim his birthright as a starting CB? Or the Butler that lost his job and has yet to recover?

Any Hogan updates? Thanks in advance. And GOOOOOOO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hogan's ACL still seems to be hampering him as he didn't look to great in mini-camp.

Hopefully he will be ready to go by training camp.

#43 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

HUDDLER

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:52 AM

better play by the front 7 will make the secondary seem a lot "smarter"

#44 Panths

Panths

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:20 AM

Totally forgot we were getting a new secondary coach; I think that'll be a huge difference maker. Getting someone in here on the same page as Rivera and getting rid of the vestiges of the Fox era will be a big plus. i don't think these guys lack raw talent, or skill, they just were missing proper instruction.

#45 brainless wuss

brainless wuss

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:13 AM

I think one of the limitations to the Panthers ranking higher in defense is our division with two very offensive minded teams that we play twice each season. (Goes to strength of schedule discussion). Last year we also played Detroit (#2) and Green Bay (#6). However this year we have the Giants (#3) and Broncos (#8 without Peyton). Adding to this is the other Defensive rankings (per NFL.com) for NFC South teams: NO #24, Atl #12, TB #30.

#46 tiger7_88

tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

HUDDLER

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:55 AM

How do people fug this up?

I can understand lay and lie. I don't understand this.

What really gets under my skin is when people think "lose" and "loser" are spelled with two O's.