SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,285 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:50 PM

http://aol.sportingn...efense-has-to-d

Not bad write up till I got to the end.

Bottom line

The Panthers look like they're ready to join the likes of the Saints** and Packers among the NFC's offensive juggernauts. Carolina let tight end Jeremy Shockey and wideout Legedu Naanee leave in free agency, yet could be more explosive with the addition of Tolbert and the return of speed receiver David Gettis from ACL surgery.
The key will be the play of Sean McDermott's defense. If Beason and Co. are slow to heal and the secondary continues to give up big plays, the Panthers could lose their share of high-scoring games. But with Newton a year older and surrounded by weapons, the Panthers could challenge for a playoff spot.
Prediction: Third, NFC South
Joe Person covers the Panthers for the Charlotte Observer and Sporting News.

I think Rivera will focus on the D this year. I expect a lot better than 3rd.

#2 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,621 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:58 PM

To come close to the playoffs we will have to at least be 2nd.Having said that I do not put faith into what Joe Persons says.

#3 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,760 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

Wtf is "allot@?

I think we fight for the division crown and make the post season as a wild card.

#4 pOpCoRnPoPpEr

pOpCoRnPoPpEr

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • LocationPrison

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:24 PM

3rd is about right. It will depend on Tampa and how well their new players jell. They added a ton of talent but it may take awhile for them to get on the same page. NO (with Brees) ATL, Carolina, Tampa with Tampa being dangerous. People will be in the Dark as to Tampa's offense, could surprise.

#5 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,621 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

Wtf is "allot@?

I think we fight for the division crown and make the post season as a wild card.

Its a typo...I hate when that happens

#6 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,760 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

3rd is about right. It will depend on Tampa and how well their new players jell. They added a ton of talent but it may take awhile for them to get on the same page. NO (with Brees) ATL, Carolina, Tampa with Tampa being dangerous. People will be in the Dark as to Tampa's offense, could surprise.

Isn't there a foreskin's board you can troll?

Wash will finish last...again.

#7 Chaos

Chaos

@chaos_cltsports

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,287 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

I'm smelling a slump in the dump this coming season (the dump being the dirty ATL).

#8 pOpCoRnPoPpEr

pOpCoRnPoPpEr

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • LocationPrison

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

Isn't there a foreskin's board you can troll?

Wash will finish last...again.

Yeah but we're talking about the Panthers here. 3rd is about right. I don't see them beating out Atlanta or New Orleans and Tampa is much improved.

#9 pantherj

pantherj

• HUDDLER
  • 3,721 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:53 PM

Yeah but we're talking about the Panthers here. 3rd is about right. I don't see them beating out Atlanta or New Orleans and Tampa is much improved.

Heads will roll if we finish 3rd in our division. McDermott had better have our defense playing at a high level all season. No more getting gashed by runs and having recievers running around wide open. That sh!t defense last season was why we had trouble with the Saints** and Falcons, clean that up and we can challenge them both for the division. Hell we nearly hung a loss on each of them last season with the worst defense we've had in the history of the franchise.

#10 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,737 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

What Person and others fail to realize is that we won six games while losing just about every close game all year. The defense doesn't have to be great for us to be significantly better this year. We scored 25 points a game and I think between better special teams (kicking and returning) and Chud's offense we will good for another 5 points a game meaning we score 30 points a game. Honestly if our defense is only 1 score a game better or we give up around 20 points a game, that will result in 9 or 10 wins. If we had split our close games we would have been 9-7 last year. I doubt that folks would be pegging us for third in the division at that point. If Rivera's defenses hold true to form, in year 2 they have been top 5 most of the time. All we need is top 15 to challenge for the division.

I am not drinking the koolaid yet, but honestly our team is very likely going to be much better than last year.

#11 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,756 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

I really don't think Atlanta will be as much of a player as they have been. The Saints*** will suffer from this terrible offseason however they will still be strong if they can get Brees on the field. Tampa is a big question mark, they could surprise some people but I really don't see all that much of an improvement for them this season. The Panthers are already an offensive juggernaut, the defense is the only question mark for us at the moment.

#12 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,737 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

We will be much improved as well. All three division rivals have new personnel at critical coaching positions and New Orleans doesn't have Payton who controlled the offense. Coaches make a huge difference and you will see that this year. Hard to believe but we have the most stabillity in the division and it will show.

#13 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• HUDDLER
  • 3,462 posts
  • LocationGitmo

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

The south is up for grabs. We must take it by force.

#14 God

God

Attitude

• HUDDLER
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

yeah i dont see the redskins coming close to beating out Giants/Eagles/Boys. 4th for sure.

#15 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,960 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

I thought Person along with BleacherReport are on the "do not quote list"...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com