Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jerry rice ranks steve smith at #5 receiver in the league

40 posts in this topic

Posted

i'd take smitty over roddy any day. smith just pulls it out more. roddy might be more "gifted" but smitty makes things happen that roddy just doesn't.

Posted

Wasn't this thread about Steve Smith???

Posted

Best in the league, bros.

Listen, you can categorize him with stats and numbers, and theorize his ranking among the other WR's by looking at quarterbacks, injuries, etc. But when it comes down to it, Smitty plays with more fire, dedication, confidence, and will than any other WR I have ever seen. Match that with his natural ability and talent, and he soars above all other WR's in the league. Are there other WR's that are more talented (faster, taller, better hands, etc...)? Yes. Are there WR's with better stats? Yes.

But Smitty combines all facets of ability and personality into being one hell of a football player. The guy is what, 32, and he just put up a 1000+ yard season, with no real signs of slowing down. The guy is just amazing.

1 person likes this

Posted

There was a time Smitty was considered the number one receiver in the game back in 05-06. He was also considered the best home run threat in the game.

Steve is getting older, and the day will come when he will hang up his cleats. Yet my last dream for him is to see him be the first receiver to break the 2,000 yard barrier. (It's amazing a wideout haven't done this yet)

Posted

Smitty is the man. He is proof of the "size fallacy" in the modern NFL. Modern coaches/scouts seem so damn obsessed with size. I love it when "smaller" guys excel....maybe "small" isn't an apt description of Smitty though. He may not be tall, but he definitely is not small; he's built like a tank.

Posted

Steve Smith is a MONSTER. He's been the face since 2003 (IMO) and is what I wish all of our players could imitate. Its hard to imagine the panthers without 89

Posted

I think Smitty has stated that after playing football, he is done. But maybe, just maybe, he could be a WR coach or something for Carolina. That would be awesome.

1 person likes this

Posted

Roddy drops way too many passes

Posted

Steve made it very clear he does not want to be involved as a coach on the NFL level. I think it's clear there is some animosity built up over the years even dating back to George Seifert.

Posted

He could play till 40 if the misses would have it. Happy wife happy life, though. That's what he said anyway.

Posted

He could play till 40 if the misses would have it. Happy wife happy life, though. That's what he said anyway.

if he can post three more 1,000+ yard seasons in a row i wouldn't rule out him staying for a couple more years even in decline just to pad his stats. another 3000 puts him at #12 all time; 4000 more puts him at #7 all time; if he can break into 15,000 total yards he'll be #4 all time, at which point he is a HOF lock.

Posted

Yeah, Roddy White is a beast.....in the regular season. He's nowhere to be found during the postseason.

with all due respect you should be looking at that guy throwing him the ball in the post season.

theres a reason roddy didnt do much when vick was over there.

also I feel kind of bad for smith, he lost so much time on his career. Didn't play much receiver his first 2 years in the league, missed a whole year due to a broken leg, missed a couple games for suspension and lost 2 more years from that last year with delhomme and 2010. imagine if he could have a couple of those seasons back...