Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Whats the deal with Cam charging for Autographs today?

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#1 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,539 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

Hearing mummers about this from various social media.
Anyone have the full info ?

#2 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,909 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

i think it's an event with an admission fee where he's going to be signing.

don't think he's running a cash register at his table

#3 UNCrules2187

UNCrules2187

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:43 AM

Newton is appearing at an autograph session at which he’ll charge $125 to sign a picture, $150 to sign a football and $175 to sign a jersey, with another $50 on top if you want him to personalize it.

Scott Fowler isn't too happy about it:

“The Panthers pay Newton plenty of money,” Folwer writes. “Charging for autographs in Charlotte seems a little cheap.”

However, Newton is defended by the place the Huddle loves to hate, PFT:

I get where Fowler is coming from, but I can’t agree. I wish we lived in a world where everyone asking for an autograph was an innocent kid who wanted a memento to savor the thrill of meeting his hero, and where every athlete was delighted to sign for every fan who asked. But the reality is we don’t live in that world. We live in a world where people who ask athletes for autographs turn around and sell them on eBay, and a world where famous athletes can’t go out in public without being mobbed by autograph hounds.

In the real world we live in, a famous person’s autograph is a valuable commodity, and the sports autograph market is a multimillion-dollar business, and the athletes whose autographs are being sold are doing nothing wrong at all if they choose to share in the proceeds.

http://profootballta...for-autographs/

#4 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

If an adult want an autograph they are going to sell most likely then I have no issue with collecting money.

Give it to kids for free

#5 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,944 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

Yeah....I bet if a small kid bumps into Cam around town he would gladly give it to him for free. He gives them out for free at camp as well.

I wouldn't sign for adults for free. This event is perfect for those guys. You want it, pay for it.

I don't think Smitty signs for adults does he?

#6 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,909 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:52 AM

he signed a contract with a memorabilia company that's paying him to be there.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevilll

he does not.

#7 UNCrules2187

UNCrules2187

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:54 AM

Yeah....I bet if a small kid bumps into Cam around town he would gladly give it to him for free. He gives them out for free at camp as well.

I wouldn't sign for adults for free. This event is perfect for those guys. You want it, pay for it.

Yeah, PFT also mentions how Cam is pretty generous with autographs / memorabilia most of the time:

It’s also important to point out that Newton has shown many times that he’s a generous man. Not only does he sign autographs for free at training camp (as most NFL players do), but when he scores a touchdown he usually gives the ball to a fan in the stands. When Newton scored his 13th touchdown last season, setting a new NFL record for quarterbacks, he could have kept that ball for his own collection, or made plenty of money selling it to a sports memorabilia collector. Instead, he handed it to a girl in the stands. (The girl later gave the ball to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.)

#8 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,067 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:56 AM

Meh, all players do this. Cam signs plenty of free autographs. IMG recommended he do this.

#9 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,268 posts
  • Location704

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

that's absurd to go waste $200 on a fuging grown man's signature. Sure, it would be cool to have an autographed jersey or helmet or something but that's way to much money to spend.

Also, it's the company/organizers who are charging for the sigs, not Newton himself.

I don't have a problem with them doing it, I just have a problem with spending $200 on it.

#10 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,909 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

also avoid reading the comments on the original observer article if you don't want your eyes to bleed

#11 Panthercougar68

Panthercougar68

The Nice

• HUDDLER
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:12 AM

also avoid reading the comments on the original observer article if you don't want your eyes to bleed

Too late. I'm already heading to the emergency room because I punched my computer too many times after reading them.

#12 Panthercougar68

Panthercougar68

The Nice

• HUDDLER
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:13 AM

Autographgate

#13 X-Clown

X-Clown

Positive Polly

• HUDDLER
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:13 AM

Same thing with the PFT article...

Where's Scott Fowler's column judging the Steelers paid signings that occur at Southpark every year?

#14 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

Personally, I don't get it. Lets say they make 50 grand from autographs today. The promotions company is getting at least 40 percent of that. So Cam gets say 30 grand.

30 grand.

In the grand scheme, the hit it has taken in the court of public opinion is not worth what he gets paid for a tenth of a game of football play.

#15 Mage

Mage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

that's absurd to go waste $200 on a fuging grown man's signature. Sure, it would be cool to have an autographed jersey or helmet or something but that's way to much money to spend.

Newton isn't just any grown man.

He's Superman.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com