Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

South Carolina Shark Surprise

52 posts in this topic

Posted

Never seen one swimming.

However, I have seen MANY when scuba diving. Been on shark feeding dives....seen reef sharks, bonnethead sharks (smaller hammerheads) and even a Tiger Shark in open water.

Even did a Great White Shark Cage Dive off the coast of San Diego many years ago. That was the most incredible thing I have seen. Several 15-20 foot great whites coming up from below and biting at the cage. My heart was racing.

Yeah, not sure I could do that. I even opted out of the whole snorkling with the sting ray thing in the Bahamas. I bet that was quite the experience though.

Posted

I'm going to Oak Island with the fam for 9 days in the beginning of August. I think Oak Island is like an hour N of Myrtle. Nestled between Holden Beach and Cherry Grove.

Anyway, I like to swim in the ocean and I will go out far as long as I'm with someone. I like the rush, not gonna lie.

However, once I go out, and I don't care how deep it is, once something rubs up against my leg I am GTFO and not getting back in.

I also heard that when you see small schools of fish jumping out of the water around where the waves break, that is a sign that there is a shark around.

A little girl got bitten by a shark at ocean isle beach just a stones throw from OI a couple weeks ago - she wound up with 42 stitches.

edited - make that 140 stitches

Besides the four injured on June 14, a 25-year-old man was bitten on the foot about 7:45 p.m. June 3 while swimming near the 2nd Avenue Pier in Myrtle Beach, police said. A 6-year-old Ohio girl needed 140 stitches Monday to repair damage to her leg from a bite at Ocean Isle Beach, N.C. Her mother saw sharks chasing fish that were jumping

Read more here: http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2012/06/21/2899279/experts-say-flurry-of-shark-bites.html#storylink=cpy

Ive swam the channels behind Figure 8 Island down to Holden Beach for more than 20 years and never seen a shark - knocking on wood. I did see one one day about 6 feet out from the beach at Carolina Beach years ago.

Posted

That fish had a really bad day

Posted

Sent to my broinlaw yesterday and we've kayak fished in waters like that. If I were bringing in a drum and that happened next to the kayak, I would've pulled off the walking on water miracle.

what da freak a broinlaw?

Posted

Bro-in-law....

Posted

Older brother took me to see 'Jaws' as a kid.

Have been in the ocean a time or two since, but not often, and was always nervous about it.

Posted

ITS A SHAWK!!!OMG A SHAWK!!!!! OMG!!!! OMG!!! A SHAWK!!

Posted

SHAWK MOUFTH

Posted

ITS A SHAWK!!!OMG A SHAWK!!!!! OMG!!!! OMG!!! A SHAWK!!

A BIGASS SHAWK!!!!!

1 person likes this

Posted

I have my boat on the Ashley river in charleston and that is where all of the fuging bull sharks go to have babies. There is a point when the river starts to get narrow,towards Summerville SC, where it is not uncommon to see a alligator and a shark within about 10 mins of each other. And for the record, I usually drop anchor and swim in that water every weekend....

Posted

Lol, last year I was at Isle of Palms in SC sitting on the beach. Randomly, a guy I work with came hobbling up to me with his foot bleeding bad. He got nipped by a shark in waste deep water right on the beach with 100's of people around him in the water.... He freaked out, and ran out of the water screaming, and he said not one person got out of the water, lol.

Posted

That fish had a really bad day

Haha! Sh1t went from bad to worse real quick.