#16 Johnny Rockets

Johnny Rockets

Mayor of Awesomeville

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,420 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

Come play with me down there next week!

We have a friend that lives down there and is getting married this coming weekend and thought about it but Hell, I still haven't recovered from last week. Another week or weekend would kill me. What part of MB are you staying at?

#17 MCCNASTY

MCCNASTY

Smackalicious

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationClose, Very Close

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:03 AM

There have been 5 shark "attacks" off MB this year. 4 in one day and 1 about a week earlier. Happened about a month ago and most likely bull sharks.

I go down there quite frequently and was there just last week and the only thing that has attack me is about 4 bottles of Sambuca and a couple of gallons of vodka. I barely escaped with my life.

Sambuca is of the DEVIL!!! A evil concoction created from the fiery pits of hell!!! I used to enjoy it. Then one night i enjoyed way to much. The result was a devestating hangover unlike anything I had ever experienced. The memories still haunt me worse than the orange cisco and crazy horse malt liquor episode of 1989. Got a little off shark topic. My bad.

#18 Johnny Rockets

Johnny Rockets

Mayor of Awesomeville

• HUDDLER
  • 6,420 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

I'm going to Oak Island with the fam for 9 days in the beginning of August. I think Oak Island is like an hour N of Myrtle. Nestled between Holden Beach and Cherry Grove.

Anyway, I like to swim in the ocean and I will go out far as long as I'm with someone. I like the rush, not gonna lie.

However, once I go out, and I don't care how deep it is, once something rubs up against my leg I am GTFO and not getting back in.

I also heard that when you see small schools of fish jumping out of the water around where the waves break, that is a sign that there is a shark around.

They say that the majority of people that have spent anytime in the ocean have been within 20 feet of a shark and never knew it. I surfed a lot growing up in NJ and saw just one. One time I had something bump my board as I was laying on it and it scared the bejeezus out of me. Don't know what it was, and don't want to know but it was either a shark or a dolphin. Never got back in the water that day.

#19 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,714 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:20 AM

Stepped on a small bullshark as a kid in the channel to the ICW at the northern end of Cherry Grove as a kid. People who think Jesus was the only one to walk on water obviously never saw me that day.

#20 cptx

cptx

Junkhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:30 AM

Well this is lovely... I've been at the coast since early june and the only thing that I've been paranoid about is rip-currents.

I have noticed fish jumping in the surf and just thought it was normal. But now that I think about it, when I see small fish jumping at the lake, that's a good place to cast for a big bass. So if these fish jumping out the ocean are almost as big as a nice bass themselves, how big is what's scaring them?!

Oh boy.

#21 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:36 AM

Don't freak out. Dolphin love to herd in large fish (red drum) for eating too. Just avoid murky water where a shark like that will reaction bite at anything. When the water's pretty clear...sharks aren't just going to randomly attack things.

#22 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,478 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

There have been 5 shark "attacks" off MB this year. 4 in one day and 1 about a week earlier. Happened about a month ago and most likely bull sharks.

I go down there quite frequently and was there just last week and the only thing that has attack me is about 4 bottles of Sambuca and a couple of gallons of vodka. I barely escaped with my life.

Last I heard was that they think they were Blacktips. The bite radiuses were inconsistent with Bull Sharks.

We are heading down in 2 weeks....during Shark Week on Discovery Channel Week.

My 12 yo daughter is saying she won't go in the water.

#23 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,478 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

They say that the majority of people that have spent anytime in the ocean have been within 20 feet of a shark and never knew it. I surfed a lot growing up in NJ and saw just one. One time I had something bump my board as I was laying on it and it scared the bejeezus out of me. Don't know what it was, and don't want to know but it was either a shark or a dolphin. Never got back in the water that day.

Never seen one swimming.

However, I have seen MANY when scuba diving. Been on shark feeding dives....seen reef sharks, bonnethead sharks (smaller hammerheads) and even a Tiger Shark in open water.

Even did a Great White Shark Cage Dive off the coast of San Diego many years ago. That was the most incredible thing I have seen. Several 15-20 foot great whites coming up from below and biting at the cage. My heart was racing.

#24 Johnny Rockets

Johnny Rockets

Mayor of Awesomeville

• HUDDLER
  • 6,420 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:47 AM

Last I heard was that they think they were Blacktips. The bite radiuses were inconsistent with Bull Sharks.

That makes sense because from what I could tell by the article I read, the bites weren't terrible....stitches and such but not chunks taken out of people. When a bull shark gets you, you usually lose a couple lbs. of flesh.

#25 Johnny Rockets

Johnny Rockets

Mayor of Awesomeville

• HUDDLER
  • 6,420 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:50 AM

Never seen one swimming.

However, I have seen MANY when scuba diving. Been on shark feeding dives....seen reef sharks, bonnethead sharks (smaller hammerheads) and even a Tiger Shark in open water.

Even did a Great White Shark Cage Dive off the coast of San Diego many years ago. That was the most incredible thing I have seen. Several 15-20 foot great whites coming up from below and biting at the cage. My heart was racing.

Yeah, not sure I could do that. I even opted out of the whole snorkling with the sting ray thing in the Bahamas. I bet that was quite the experience though.

#26 Rip Saw

Rip Saw

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

I'm going to Oak Island with the fam for 9 days in the beginning of August. I think Oak Island is like an hour N of Myrtle. Nestled between Holden Beach and Cherry Grove.

Anyway, I like to swim in the ocean and I will go out far as long as I'm with someone. I like the rush, not gonna lie.

However, once I go out, and I don't care how deep it is, once something rubs up against my leg I am GTFO and not getting back in.

I also heard that when you see small schools of fish jumping out of the water around where the waves break, that is a sign that there is a shark around.

A little girl got bitten by a shark at ocean isle beach just a stones throw from OI a couple weeks ago - she wound up with 42 stitches.

edited - make that 140 stitches

Besides the four injured on June 14, a 25-year-old man was bitten on the foot about 7:45 p.m. June 3 while swimming near the 2nd Avenue Pier in Myrtle Beach, police said. A 6-year-old Ohio girl needed 140 stitches Monday to repair damage to her leg from a bite at Ocean Isle Beach, N.C. Her mother saw sharks chasing fish that were jumping

Read more here: http://www.myrtlebea...l#storylink=cpy

Ive swam the channels behind Figure 8 Island down to Holden Beach for more than 20 years and never seen a shark - knocking on wood. I did see one one day about 6 feet out from the beach at Carolina Beach years ago.

#27 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • 3,908 posts
  • LocationRound about here

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:25 AM

That fish had a really bad day

#28 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,567 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

Sent to my broinlaw yesterday and we've kayak fished in waters like that. If I were bringing in a drum and that happened next to the kayak, I would've pulled off the walking on water miracle.

what da freak a broinlaw?

#29 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

Bro-in-law....

#30 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,261 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:02 PM

Older brother took me to see 'Jaws' as a kid.

Have been in the ocean a time or two since, but not often, and was always nervous about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com