Jonathan Stewart article on PFT.

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#106 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,944 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:32 AM

I remember when smith signed his first none rookie contract, signing for $10 million less than other top recievers were getting. this was when steve waz entering his prime.

you can say what ya want Bout his age, that doesn't change the fact he is a top five receiver. want to pull up the non-rookie contracts of the other top receivers in the league...or even the top 10?

Steve Smith's contract, is still on the affordable side for a receiver of his ability.
You couldn't even replace him with anothr top receiver for the same amount of Smith's current contract.

And what year was that? It was 2004.....he had one good season at that point. 2003 didn't make him a top 3 type WR. He he had only 1 1000 yard season and only 1 season where he scored more than 3 rec TDs. No one was going to pay a problem child WR/ return man big money then

You also can't claim a team will give comparable deals to Calvin and Smith. They are at two very different stages is their careers. It matters.

Carolina has always taken care of Smith.

#107 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,589 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:22 AM

Well, again....you claimed he could of gotten more. Nothing supports that. After 2010 is when he debated leaving....Carolina even attempted to honor his request. If he was a hot commodity then he wouldn't be a Panther today.

They have taken good care of Smith. He hasn't taken paycuts to stay

cause the Panthers couldn't get the compensation they wanted for Steve Smith, that says he hasn't taken pay cuts?
lol, that's a stretch.

#108 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,944 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

cause the Panthers couldn't get the compensation they wanted for Steve Smith, that says he hasn't taken pay cuts?
lol, that's a stretch.

Which extension did he sign for cheap to stay here vs leaving for more. Be specific instead of vaguely saying he gave us a discount.

#109 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 9,545 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

stewart's smart for not wanting to deal right now.

carolina's already on the hook for a deal equivalent to what they paid williams.

if stewart puts up good numbers this season, he'd be leaving money on the table (with carolina or any other team) by signing an extension right now.

he doesnt really have any leverage right now, he has no choice but to play this yr out. I mean if Forte or MJD are having trouble getting new contracts, someone who has played part time at the same position really doesn't have much to stand on.

#110 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,589 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:58 AM

Which extension. did he sign for cheap to stay here vs leaving for more. Be specific instead of vaguely saying he gave us a discount.

why don't you pick one it won't matter which one.

steve smith has been gracious to.this franchise and richardson every step of the way.

I'm posting on my phone, and am not going to worry about proving what the majority already know to be true.

if you'd rather think the panthers paid to much, then i won't stop ya. wouldn't be the first time you're wrong, and won't be the last.

#111 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,944 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

he doesnt really have any leverage right now, he has no choice but to play this yr out. I mean if Forte or MJD are having trouble getting new contracts, someone who has played part time at the same position really doesn't have much to stand on.

Well, people said DeAngelo didn't have much to stand on..... he got paid. Stewart is younger AND a better fit

#112 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,944 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

why don't you pick one it won't matter which one.

steve smith has been gracious to.this franchise and richardson every step of the way.

I'm posting on my phone, and am not going to worry about proving what the majority already know to be true.

if you'd rather think the panthers paid to much, then i won't stop ya. wouldn't be the first time you're wrong, and won't be the last.

So now you are implying Smitty have a hometown discount to us on every contract ext?! I pick his first extension then....explain how that is an example

Smith out performing an extension isn't the same thing as getting a hometown discount.

Carolina has been very good to Smitty. They have paid him well and overlooked things and catered to him.

No Panther on this roster has given us a hometown discount

#113 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,172 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:50 AM

No Panther on this roster has given us a hometown discount

Well, the way our FO has done business, the subject of hometown discounts probably have never come up in the shadow of the Brinks truck . Once J-Rich decides that you are a "made man" in this organization, he makes it rain.

#114 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,947 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:51 PM

Steve never gave us a hometown discount. The reality is he's had 2 dominant years and a bunch of nice ones. It just so happened he wasn't up for a new deal following the first dominant year and he was 32 years old for the second.

#115 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,526 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

Yeah, contract timing has not been kind to Smitty. A lot like being down at the one, instead of getting that TD.

#116 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,767 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

Told ya

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com