Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panthro

Shut Penn State Football Down...

One thing they should definitely do is take down the statue of Paterno.

I liked the idea of putting pictures of little boys behind him, so he could always be seen as turning his back on the children.

Death penalty is one thing and is quite possible. fuging over people who put the time in to earn their degrees and had nothing to do with this scandel is another.

It's not like degrees from there are worth anything anyways.

If they do shut down the football program in any way, they need to shut it down for good. If they shut it down only for a few years, people at Penn State and fans of the team will only wait anxiously for the return of football. Then once it returns, people will want to move on from this tragedy.

The victims of Sandusky will have a hard time healing. Some may never fully heal. Their pain was brought on because a few was looking out only for Penn State. Why should Penn State be able to move on, when these victims may not be able to fully heal? So if they shut down the program, shut it down for good. Yes, people will lose jobs, football players will have to transfer and do other things, but I'm willing to bet those victims would trade their pain for any pain that comes from shutting down the football program for good.

Change the colors, change the logo and uniforms, bring in all new coaches....and take the Paterno statue down.

Hey man

Why don't you go jack off on Joe Pa's grave?

If Penn State football is to move forward, they have to erase the "white helmets standing for purity" and everything else tied to Paterno. Get a new logo and colors and start with a young, energetic coach who wants to tackle the rebuilding project of all rebuilding projects. Take one year off and hit restart. That way you don't absolutely kill all the other athletic programs that did nothing wrong here.

I have read several articles from authors (with no ties to PSU) who ACTUALLY read the entire Freeh report (and did not just listen to his press conference). All of these authors have stated that there are some BIG issues with his report. The first is the fact that he NEVER interviewed any of the parties involved. Not Spanier, Curley, etc....not even McQuery. He made assumptions based on vague e-mails that they said were not supported by the actual evidence that he did review.

He made comments about the individuals knowledge and intent....without ever talking to the actual people. And that is an issue.

Do I think that Paterno and others wanted to believe that the 1998 and 2003 issues were misunderstanding and not what they turned out to be....Yes. They allowed themselves to cloud their judgement because of the negative impact that even allegations would bring. They made a HUGE mistake that quite frankly they could not afford to make. Their actions (or inactions) led to additional children being abused.

However, I do not believe that they knew what Sandusky was doing and chose to cover it up.

There is a fine line between the two and it does not justify the actions/inactions that occurred. But, the implication from Freeh that they did not care about the kids and chose to know about the abuse and allow it to happen is not accurate.

Also, Freeh was selected by PSU themselves.

This made me chuckle.

Milton McDaniels

BREAKING PENN STATE NEWS: Joe Paterno's statue is to be moved to the campus library to remind students to stay quiet at all times.

48 minutes ago ·

Unlike

Ahh, I see. First it was "LETS WAIT UNTIL THE FACTS COME OUT" and now it's "THE FACTS ARE WRONG."

I am not saying that he was wrong. Merely pointing out weaknesses in his report....as said/commented on by other authors (who did not have ties to PSU).

I was surprised that he never intereviewed any of the parties involved. I do find it difficult to understand how a thorough and complete investigation could be done without interviewing people.

I believe that the PSU leadership screwed up BIG TIME with this. I think that they did not want to believe that Sandusky was a predator. I think that they let their concern for the PSU reputation significantly cloud their judgement. I also think that they actually believed the things that they convinced themselves of.

I do hon however believe that they knew that Sandusky was a predator and chose to allow it to continue to happen.

I am not questioning the result of their actions/inactions (for which I think they should all be held accountable for)....just the inference by Freeh that they "knew" and chose not to care.

As for the statue comment above....that WAS damn funny.

I am not defending Paterno and group. Hell, my wife and I have gotten into HEATED debates and arguements over this. I am convinced that Paterno was definitely involved in all of the discussions and decisions. He was NOT an innocent party to this. She is a PSU Grad and just can't allow those homer glasses to see that he was.

This situation is exactly why we have the law we do in NC. ANY allegation of abuse MUST be reported to the police if it involves someone affiliated to a school. The school and its leadership do not have the authority to determine whether they think the allegation has merit. There IS a conflict of interest if you allowed them to do so....plain and simple.

And....I still blame McQuery more than anyone. He (by his own testimony) actually saw the abuse. He knew that the police were never called. Yet, he did and said NOTHING......only until this story blew up and he was covering his ass. He is NOT to be applauded for testifying....he is to be shamed for only doing so AFTER the story broke and to try and save his own ass.