#31 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,190 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:38 PM

Before you look at the stats below. There will never be another S. Smith. Smitty is a one of a kind. There is NO Replacement for him like we know Steve Smith. Somehow we will put a New #1 out there but he won't resemble what Smitty did for the Panthers over his career. The uniqueness of Steve Smith is what makes him a HOFer. Yes one day we will put a new #1 on the field and IMO he is already on the roster.

Steve Smith 2001-2002 1026 yds Brandon LaFell 2010-2011 1081 yds
Steve Smith Rookie season 154 yds David Gettis Rookie Season 508 yds

As these young receivers become veterans. They will mature into players that will handle the #1 Position. Adding a reject from another team is DEFINITELY NOT going to be better than what we are developing on this team.

Your statistical comparison was effectually undermined by your first three sentences.

Moreover, ask New England if Wes Welker is a reject. Some of these so-called "rejects" in the NFL turn into gold in the right hands (just like sometimes gold is mistakenly thrown away if you don't do your due diligence to pan it out).

#32 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Superior Member

• HUDDLER
  • 2,808 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:55 PM

Your statistical comparison was effectually undermined by your first three sentences.

Moreover, ask New England if Wes Welker is a reject. Some of these so-called "rejects" in the NFL turn into gold in the right hands (just like sometimes gold is mistakenly thrown away if you don't do your due diligence to pan it out).

My point is you are NEVER going to replace a Steve Smith. Sure you will have a No 1. Receiver but never another player like Steve Smith.

Based on the statistics I gave you. We have two up and coming talents on this team. Far more valuable than a rejected receiver from another team. Wes Welker was an exception to the rule not the norm. Go ahead name me another. For every one you name I probably can name 3 or 4 that never panned out..

#33 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,641 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

Steve Smith breaks his leg = Carolina is fuged.....someone would have to prove to be something they haven't. He is the 2nd most irreplaceable person on offense.

#34 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

My point is you are NEVER going to replace a Steve Smith. Sure you will have a No 1. Receiver but never another player like Steve Smith.

Based on the statistics I gave you. We have two up and coming talents on this team. Far more valuable than a rejected receiver from another team. Wes Welker was an exception to the rule not the norm. Go ahead name me another. For every one you name I probably can name 3 or 4 that never panned out..

I am not going to go through a back and forth, but it's the smart person that does their due diligence on whatever possible talent there is to be utilized.

And, what exactly is a reject? Is it a past pro-bowler like Braylon Edwards, T.O. or Randy Moss? How about a past champion like Plax or Santonio Holmes?

Within that same vein, I don't believe that it is a coincidence that the last time ( :P ) we went to the Super Bowl was when we made a key addition---perhaps the best free agent acquisition in franchise history, if not appropriate and aptly timed---to our wide receving corps: Ricky Proehl.

#35 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Superior Member

• HUDDLER
  • 2,808 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

I am not going to go through a back and forth, but it's the smart person that does their due diligence on whatever possible talent there is to be utilized. And, what exactly is a reject? Is it a past pro-bowler like Braylon Edwards, T.O. or Randy Moss? How about a past champion like Plax or Santonio Holmes? Within that same vein, I don't believe that it is a coincidence that the last time ( :P ) we went to the Super Bowl was when we made a key addition---perhaps the best free agent acquisition in franchise history, if not appropriate and aptly timed---to our wide receving corps: Ricky Proehl.

Don't forget we added a running game and a Quarterback. Ricky Proehl was an addition we needed but not the reason we went to the Super Bowl. Reaching a little bit with that argument aren't you? Williams is not an addition we need. There isn't one receiver, Gettis, LaFell, Pilares, Adams, Smith that I would cut to add a former bust. Why waste a pre-season roster spot on a possible hidden gem for a BUST.

I wouldn't do it and nor will the Panthers.

Case Closed

#36 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,641 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

I am not going to go through a back and forth, but it's the smart person that does their due diligence on whatever possible talent there is to be utilized.

And, what exactly is a reject? Is it a past pro-bowler like Braylon Edwards, T.O. or Randy Moss? How about a past champion like Plax or Santonio Holmes?

Within that same vein, I don't believe that it is a coincidence that the last time ( :P ) we went to the Super Bowl was when we made a key addition---perhaps the best free agent acquisition in franchise history, if not appropriate and aptly timed---to our wide receving corps: Ricky Proehl.

People also think back and forget about Proehl....he was a much bigger part than his stat sheet would suggest. HUGE catches.

#37 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:51 PM

Don't forget we added a running game and a Quarterback. Ricky Proehl was an addition we needed but not the reason we went to the Super Bowl. Reaching a little bit with that argument aren't you? Williams is not an addition we need. There isn't one receiver, Gettis, LaFell, Pilares, Adams, Smith that I would cut to add a former bust. Why waste a pre-season roster spot on a possible hidden gem for a BUST.

I wouldn't do it and nor will the Panthers.

Case Closed

We already had a running game in my opinion, we just improved it. Delhomme was Delhomme. We don't have to release any of our guys for a bust. Who would rubber stamp that? You obviously don't take time to analyze the point of what anyone else is saying, much less yourself.

#38 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:57 PM

People also think back and forget about Proehl....he was a much bigger part than his stat sheet would suggest. HUGE catches.

Yes, he was. LaFell is developing that sort of reputation. Perhaps he can ultimately expand upon his knack for making the big play.

#39 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed Moncrief 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,261 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

That illusion will become our reality if smith gets hurt. Just cause you bring more talent to the team doesn't mean other guys are not allowed to step up.I also envision more sets with some empty backfield and 4 wr because chud will open another section of the playbook to stay ahead of the guys planning for him.

#40 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 16,773 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

Alot....

#41 Keep Pounding

Keep Pounding

Smith & Wesson 460

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationIn your backyard!!!!

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:21 PM

We always can lean on the development of AE.....

#42 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 19,967 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

If God forbid Steve Smith went down with an injury, would you be okay with who we have at the wide receiver position?

Honest answers only...

If no- We're not fine at the wide out position
If yes, We're fine at the wide out position

Easiest way to look at it.

#43 goodsense83

goodsense83

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

The point is not about "what if" someone goes down or gets hurt. ANYBODY could get hurt... and we have to adapt. And its not like Steve Smith hasnt been hurt before.

But I want to point out some of the guys that we tried to sign in the past that didnt pan out too well...

Remember Keyshawn Johnson, DJ Hackett, L. Naanae, David Clowney ???

Its not a bad idea to get veteran guys to come in for productivity... but in OUR instance... we have some guys who, with the other weapons around them can grow in a safe environment where there isnt any pressure of being "THE GUY" yet.

My point is that B. Lafell has just as good a numbers as any of the other guys that we would try to bring in here... except that B. Lafell was the 5th and 6th option on this offense. Gettis is back and is expected to fight for serious playing time, if not the #2 spot.

Dont forget that Steve Smith started off as a special teams player. We didnt draft him in top of the draft. He's proven himself to be one of the best in the league because somebody gave him a shot. Im saying... with THIS offense... with THESE weapons.... let somebody grow. And we've got 2 to 3 guys who have that opportunity this year.

#44 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 17,082 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

Welker was not a reject. The Pats traded a 2nd and a 7th round pick for him. That is actually a high price to pay in a trade.

At least have your facts straight.

#45 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

• HUDDLER
  • 2,940 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

I'm not sure if there is a #2 WR out there or one that soon will be, that will be better than LaFell. I'm not sure about Gettis. With all of the WR's that has been brought in, I'm not sure how much confidence Rivera has in Gettis. I hope that those extra WR's are just because we're looking for the next big thing to fit into designed packages. I really hope that Gettis can return to form.
Cam - Smith - LaFell - Gettis - Olsen - D Will - J Stew - Tolbert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.