111 replies to this topic

#1 Mrs Pantherfan

Mrs Pantherfan

Lusting on Zod

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:20 AM

I know, I know...me of all people..the known Cat Lady..got a dog...Long story short..we rescued her from the Animal Control Shelter out by the airport. She's a year and 1/2, 40 lb German Shepherd mix..very very sweet..house trained..crate trained..will lick you to death if allowed...very smart dog overall

First night in her crate she whined for 10 minute, tops..and then I heard nothing the rest of the night. The only time she's really barked was when I had to put her back in her crate to leave for work..but my husband said after 5 minutes she was dead quiet

This is our first dog..everyone says to crate them at night and while you're at work..but my boss was like "I leave mine outside every day..he isn't trained worth a poo but he gets to play outside"

Now I'm confused..Isabel, Izzy for short is pretty well trained actually..she's very well behaved..we gotta work on her bringing the ball back while we play fetch..but other than that..she's very good...will leaving her outside by herself cause her to "forget" her manners so to speak?

Advice??? Stories??? Any help at all will be appreciated :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,143 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

Do you want her to be an inside dog or an outside dog?

After a rough start my puppy has taken a liking to the crate and I run her around at lunch then again at night. I want an inside dog so I am training her to be one. It sounds like you have a well trained inside dog....I wouldnt change a thing.

Hopefully she will rid you of your cat infestation.

#3 Fire n Ice

Fire n Ice

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:32 AM

I can't believe you got a dog! But she is a cutie :) I wouldn't leave her outside when you're gone, especially when it's really hot or cold out. I don't know how it would work with your cats, if they would run away, etc., but the best thing we ever did for our dogs is get a doggie door. They are inside dogs, but they get to go out whenever they want, whether we're home or not.

#4 Mrs Pantherfan

Mrs Pantherfan

Lusting on Zod

• HUDDLER
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:37 AM

Actually Big Fat Gina would LOVE a doggie door..but Izzy is crated all day so until I know she's not gonna fug poo up or Big Fan Gina isn't gonna suck out her breath while she naps..I was going to keep her in her crate..unless I use baby gates??? maybe??

#5 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,847 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:38 AM

Crates are better, they also identify it as their own space, a safe place plus it's too hot to leave a fur covered dog out in this heat.

#6 Johnny Rockets

Johnny Rockets

Mayor of Awesomeville

• HUDDLER
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

Cute dog...keep her inside and take her out to play when you are home. Good on ya for going the rescue route!

#7 Mrs Pantherfan

Mrs Pantherfan

Lusting on Zod

• HUDDLER
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:45 AM

That's what I said to my boss..."isn't it hot as sh*t for them outside?"....he said "They know how to find shade"....

he's an old school 50 year old...he knows nothing about crating dogs

#8 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,332 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

My inlaws have a german shepherd mix just like that. I give her two weeks before she outsmarts you in some way.

Keep all of your food high.

#9 Fire n Ice

Fire n Ice

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

That's what I said to my boss..."isn't it hot as sh*t for them outside?"....he said "They know how to find shade"....

he's an old school 50 year old...he knows nothing about crating dogs

Yeah, I think that's just cruel. When it's 90 and above, I don't care how much shade they find, it's still hot as fug! And I've done the baby gate route too, we would gate off the kitchen since there was no carpet in there. If you do a small enough area, they will still come to think of it as their "own" space and not use the bathroom in there. Of course, you run the risk of her either jumping the gate or chewing through it lol.

#10 Mrs Pantherfan

Mrs Pantherfan

Lusting on Zod

• HUDDLER
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

Ha...I don't doubt it :)

Speaking of food..Besides the yummy treats I've given her to reward her..she's barely eaten anything..does she not like it or is it b/c she's no comfortable yet?

#11 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

That dog looks like it weighs more than that crack head looking dude in the first picture

#12 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,674 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

She looks sweet.

#13 Fire n Ice

Fire n Ice

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:56 AM

Ha...I don't doubt it :)

Speaking of food..Besides the yummy treats I've given her to reward her..she's barely eaten anything..does she not like it or is it b/c she's no comfortable yet?

It could be she's just adjusting to her new home. I'd give it a little longer, and if she doesn't start eating more, try a different kind. Some dogs (like ours) are just very picky about which food they'll eat!

#14 Mrs Pantherfan

Mrs Pantherfan

Lusting on Zod

• HUDDLER
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:06 AM

That dog looks like it weighs more than that crack head looking dude in the first picture

Hey..skinny dudes need love too...isn't that right, Jase?

#15 Iceberg Slim

Iceberg Slim

Keep it 100

• HUDDLER
  • 2,087 posts
  • Locationwhatcha worried about it for

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

wait a minute, you got a dog, on purpose.....wth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com