• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

#226 CardiacCats

CardiacCats

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:38 AM

College Dropout was the CD that made me like Kanye, Jesus Walks was a hard ass song when it came out still is. And Good Morning a classic

That's Late Registration but yeah College Dropout was amazing. Although as a die-hard Kanye West fan and the first musician I ever truly loved, this is the order I rank his albums:

1) My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
2) College Dropout
3) Graduation
4) Late Registration
5) 808s and Heartbreak

#227 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 6,398 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

"Before you ask me to get a job today, can I at least get a raise on a minimum wage?
And I know the government administered AIDS
So I guess we just pray like the minister say"

"And Gran (Grandma) keep prayin and believin'
And Jesus and one day that ya' see him
Till they walk in his foot-steps and try to be him
The devil is alive I can feel him breathin'"

"My aunt Pam can't put those cigarettes down,
Now my lil cousin smokin those cigarettes now,
His job trying to claim that he too niggerish now,
Is it cuz his skin blacker than licorice now?
I can't figure it out...
Im Stickin around...."

3 powerful lines there

It's just a bunch of nonsense thrown together. Just because he says Jesus and government and AIDS doesn't mean there is any plot or point or purpose in those lyrics.

#228 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• HUDDLER
  • 14,739 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

Kanye is definitely more of a "mainstream" rapper and no he's no lyrical Biggie or whatever but in my opinion as far as "mainstream" rap goes he's the best mainstream rapper of all-time. I'm not comparing him to Tupac or Biggie cause he's not in the same galaxy, but he's still consistently put out great music to the market he makes his money in.

mainstream rap and hip-hop go together like water and oil... yes, it is ironic.

#229 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,369 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

You get nothing out of those lyrics right there? Talking about some big issues in today's society, Kanye is a firm believer that the government administered AIDS and has brought it up in a lot of songs. Then stating how incredibly hard it is to walk with Jesus at this point in his life with all the fame and money he has surrounding him. Then how his cousin started smoking because his aunt couldn't stop, so he picked it up and gets looked down on. Let's go back to the AIDS thing, take a look at Roses. The first verse...

I know it's past visiting hours
But can I please give her these flowers
The doctor dont wanna take procedures
He claim my heart can't take the anastesia
It'll send her body into a seizure
The little thing by the hospital bed, it'll stop beeping,
Hey chick, im at a lost for words
What do you say at this time?
Remember when I was nine?
Tell her everything gone be fine?
But i'd be lying, the family crying
They want her to live, and she trying
I'm argueing like what kind of doctor can we fly in
You know the best medicine go to people thats paid,
If Magic Johnson got a cure for A.I.D.S.
And all the broke muthafugers past away
You tellin me if my grandma was in the N.B.A.
Right now she'd be ok?
But since she was just a secretary
Working for the church
For thirty five years
Things sposed to stop right here
My grandfather tryin to pull it together, he's strong,
Thats where I get my confidence from
I asked the nurse "did you do the research?"
She ask me, "can you sign some t-shirts?"
Bitch is you smokin reefer?
You dont see that we hurt
But still...

Just listen to the first verse.

Ok first off, regarding the first song - You prove my point; it's just a bunch of open-ended crap with no rational flow or reason.

On to the second song. Ok so here's a guy, a rich guy, who's saying that only the rich can get a cure for AIDS. No wait, he's rich, so that can't be it. It's only NBA players that can get cures for AIDS? No no, what he's really saying is that it's just his grandma, and he's too cheap to be able to buy the cure, you know cause only rich people can get it, or NBA players, or famous people....err wait a second.

#230 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 11,172 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:46 AM

Enter a thread about hats, only to read about rap lyrics and aids. Welcome to the huddle.

#231 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,369 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

Kid sees parent smoking...starts smoking....people who don't smoke look down on new smoker....GROUND BREAKING LYRICS!!!

#232 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• HUDDLER
  • 14,739 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

I'm pretty sure the topic has exceeded all expectations 16 pages in...

#233 CardiacCats

CardiacCats

• HUDDLER
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

Okay I'm done with this argument. If you can't respect a guy that's won 18 grammys and one of the most successful musicians of all-time then there's no point in me trying anymore. Comparing music is incredibly dumb though, it's about what YOU like. I've loved Kanye for years upon years now and I think he's one of the 5 greatest rappers of all-time... in the 5 slot on my list to be exact.

#234 carolinarolls

carolinarolls

Mel's brother Del

• HUDDLER
  • 5,215 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

debating the validity/sincerity/depth/substance of rap lyrics seems like the very definition of an exercise in futility

its not art, not very much "music" in any genre to come out in the last 20 years is art. The recording game is "blowup single" crossed with "new sound". This current path of the industry has severely limited most true art.

Not to mention there are professional lyricists for profit in all genres that typically write the words and structure the track. Between those guys and the hired guns behind the the glass like Storch, Dre, Pete Rock, etc. how much of the "art" that reaches the fans is the performer or just derivative of the input and polish. GIGO is not just an ancient computer term.

the kiddies in here we call me old, I'm not even 40 yet, because I say this but very few make real music anymore. The mainstream is over-produced, packaged, marketed via videos featuring cars and hookers, and forgotten about as soon as it goes "platinum"

#235 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• HUDDLER
  • 14,739 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:00 AM

Okay I'm done with this argument. If you can't respect a guy that's won 18 grammys and one of the most successful musicians of all-time then there's no point in me trying anymore. Comparing music is incredibly dumb though, it's about what YOU like. I've loved Kanye for years upon years now and I think he's one of the 5 greatest rappers of all-time... in the 5 slot on my list to be exact.

if you haven't been paying attention, lyrical content isn't exactly a prerequisite to winning awards when all the mainstream cares about are hot beats and catchy tunes...

#236 Neylus

Neylus

Limited Edition

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:31 PM

if you haven't been paying attention, lyrical content isn't exactly a prerequisite to winning awards when all the mainstream cares about are hot beats and catchy tunes...

unless your Ke$ha....

#237 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,539 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

Pop music is so bad these days. Turn on 95.1, it's nothing but teeny boppers singing with a sellout rapper doing the chorus. It's a boring and repetitive formula.

Oh and Kanye West is pop music.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.