236 replies to this topic

#211 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationShallotte, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

Yeah, I've listened to it. I listen to hiphop/rap. Doesn't change the fact that it's hollow lyrics that are a thrown together mishmash of stereotypical pop-rap iconography. Listening to it doesn't change the lyrics.

#212 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• LocationShallotte, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:12 AM

I ask you again. Explain to me any part of that song that has real meaning, real powerful expression. Since you seem to believe that it does. Is there something in there, anything, that actually makes a point? A lyric where he really expresses something, and isn't just an open-ended meaningless statement?

#213 OnlyPantherFaninMaine

OnlyPantherFaninMaine

All In.

• LocationBrooklyn, NY
SUPPORTER

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:12 AM

Substance...by a young white boy that I can relate to.

#214 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

SUPPORTER

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

Are you FUGING RETARDED??? Nothing there of any substance. Actually listen to it maybe.

here's the tragedy in rap now a days.. you are confusing lyrical substance with story line.

you see Lil Wayne, and Ye followed suit, can speak a whole lot of words and never make a point.. Just random verses put together. It's truly sickening and I find it astonishing that so few people speak about it, or even realize it.

College Dropout was when Kanye West actually wrote story lines.. that doesn't mean he's deep yo...

#215 CardiacCats

CardiacCats

HUDDLER

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

not really a fan, novacane was straight. i dont like singers/rappers.if wanted r&b i would put on some isley brothers.

His voice is just amazing.

#216 CardiacCats

CardiacCats

HUDDLER

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

here's the tragedy in rap now a days.. you are confusing lyrical substance with story line.

you see Lil Wayne, and Ye followed suit, can speak a whole lot of words and never make a point.. Just random verses put together. It's truly sickening and I find it astonishing that so few people speak about it.. or even realize it.

College Dropout was when Kanye West actually wrote storylines.. that doesn't mean he's deep yo...

What about Runaway off My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasty? No storyline behind that?

#217 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

SUPPORTER

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

What about Runaway off My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasty? No storyline behind that?

that may just be the only example off of that album, and yet it's still just a proclamation that I'm an asshole because women are too complicated...

#218 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

SUPPORTER

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:22 AM

Asher Roth is more hip-hop than Ye and Wayne.. lol

#219 CardiacCats

CardiacCats

HUDDLER

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

I ask you again. Explain to me any part of that song that has real meaning, real powerful expression. Since you seem to believe that it does. Is there something in there, anything, that actually makes a point? A lyric where he really expresses something, and isn't just an open-ended meaningless statement?

"Before you ask me to get a job today, can I at least get a raise on a minimum wage?
And I know the government administered AIDS
So I guess we just pray like the minister say"

"And Gran (Grandma) keep prayin and believin'
And Jesus and one day that ya' see him
Till they walk in his foot-steps and try to be him
The devil is alive I can feel him breathin'"

"My aunt Pam can't put those cigarettes down,
Now my lil cousin smokin those cigarettes now,
His job trying to claim that he too niggerish now,
Is it cuz his skin blacker than licorice now?
I can't figure it out...
Im Stickin around...."

3 powerful lines there

#220 CardiacCats

CardiacCats

HUDDLER

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:27 AM

that may just be the only example off of that album, and yet it's still just a proclamation that I'm an asshole because women are too complicated...

Kanye is definitely more of a "mainstream" rapper and no he's no lyrical Biggie or whatever but in my opinion as far as "mainstream" rap goes he's the best mainstream rapper of all-time. I'm not comparing him to Tupac or Biggie cause he's not in the same galaxy, but he's still consistently put out great music to the market he makes his money in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users