Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darth Biscuit

Deputies shoot, kill man after knocking on wrong door...

You can answer the door armed without pointing it at the officer, Publisher's Clearinghouse, Avon, or whoever.

And if it's not a cop you'd be dead before you could point it at the assailant. Thanks for playing.

This is a great example of why it is never a good idea to point a gun at anyone unless you intend to use it.

It is a little late for this gun owner, but for like minded individuals, here are a few simple, low cost ways to minimize the likelihood of this situation happening to you: Invest in a peep hole and ask who the hell it is, before opening the door.

FYI: if you live in a neighborhood where you legitimately feel the need to answer the door holding a gun, chances are you also stand a significantly greater chance of being visited by the police.

Agreed. He should have killed those dumbass cops for being incompetent.

Also g5 when exactly has the Avon lady slammed on your door at 1:30 in the morning, I'd be interested to know.

For some good old fashioned republican grunge fuging. Why else?

Sad. Thats why you point the gun at them behind the door. Both should be fired for negligence.

This.

It doesn't take a crystal ball to see where this all too frequent event is leading our society.

Had a local situation recently where police opted to shoot/kill a man under the influence creating a disturbance and swinging a broom handle (stick) in a potentially threating manner. A second incident within a week of the first one where a despondent man under the influence was brandishing a realistic looking BB pistol in his back yard. Police were called and warned that the man had a BB pistol, once again they opted to shoot/kill the individual.

Make a potentially threating move against the police and they are trained to respond with lethal force. They will error on the side of self preservation/shoot to kill. Not sure any of us would respond otherwise if placed in a similar situation. Especially those that tend to rail against the government and espouse the right to stand their ground.

Local police have no plans to change their procedures.

http://www.adn.com/2...ad-alcohol.html

http://community.adn...adn/node/161588

http://www.adn.com/2...-anchorage.html

It doesn't take a crystal ball to see where this all too frequent event is leading our society.

Had a local situation recently where police opted to shoot/kill a man under the influence creating a disturbance and swinging a broom handle (stick) in a potentially threating manner. A second incident within a week of the first one where a despondent man under the influence was brandishing realistic looking BB pistol in his back yard. Police were called and warned that the man had a BB pistol, once again they opted to shoot/kill the individual.

Make a potentially threating move against the police and they are trained to respond with lethal force. They will error on the side of self preservation/shoot to kill. Not sure any of us would respond otherwise if placed in a similar situation. Especially those that tend to rail against the government and espouse the right to stand their ground.

Local police have no plans to change their procedures.

http://www.adn.com/2...ad-alcohol.html

http://community.adn...adn/node/161588

http://www.adn.com/2...-anchorage.html

in fairness to NC police departments, they have a "shoot to stop" policy and officers are specifically trained to aim at arms and legs in situations that are anything other than unequivocally kill-or-be-killed. i'd be interested in seeing police departments' training policies on this compared state by state (though in many cases it is probably decided on by individual departments.)

Couldn't see the door in the clip well enough to tell if he had a peephole, but there was a window right next to the door. Based on where that window was, he should have been able to get at least some view of who was out there.

Tragic as it is for a guy to die like this, I can't say much for anyone answering the door with a gun aimed at the person on the other side. Gun nearby or hidden behind the door? You could argue for that depending on the neighborhood you live in, I suppose. Gun aimed? Can't really defend that.

An Orlando Sentinel article on this indicated marijuana and drug paraphernalia were found in the apartment. Haven't seen any mention as to whether he was under the influence of anything at the time (may not be known yet).

Sad though the story may be, anybody who aims a gun at a police officer doesn't really have much standing to cry foul if they get shot.

in fairness to NC police departments, they have a "shoot to stop" policy and officers are specifically trained to aim at arms and legs in situations that are anything other than unequivocally kill-or-be-killed. i'd be interested in seeing police departments' training policies on this compared state by state (though in many cases it is probably decided on by individual departments.)

Here is part of our police department's response to the deaths of the two men mentioned in my previous post

The police department does not have a “shoot to kill policy.” By law and APD policy deadly force can only be applied when there is an imminent threat of serious physical injury or death. Police are to shoot only under those circumstances, and when they do so it is with the purpose of instantly ending the attack. You could call it a “shoot to stop policy.” It is true these kinds of shots often have fatal results, but death is not the intended outcome. This response is standard throughout the country. What the police department has said is that it will not loosen its policy to allow officers to try to wound, disable, or disarm suspects by firing lethal bullets at extremities, at peripheral body parts, or at weapons. Deciding not to make such a proposed change does not mean the APD shoots to kill.

Anchorage Police Department

Chief Mark Mew

Read more here: http://community.adn...2#storylink=cpy

First I've heard of it. I highly doubt any dept in nc has this sort of policy.