Photo
- - - - -

Should Penn State Get The Death Penalty?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,402 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:46 AM

http://www.chicagotr...0,7668800.story

In a harsh and pointed interview with Tavis Smiley of PBS, Emmert said he won't take anything, including the death penalty, off the table until he receives a detailed explanation from PSU officials.

What do you guys think? I read a report saying accusations had dated back to the 1970s. For an entire program to ignore this for 20+ years is unbelievable.

#2 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,235 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:53 AM

I think the school should take it upon themselves to shut the program down for a few years to clean house and get everything straight. They should also assist in transfers for all players, and the NCAA needs to provide them with immediate eligibility. Not sure taking scholarships away really does anything here, the football program needs to be cleaned up in a big time way. Even if they got the main culprits out, there are still some people in the organization left over, and this program needs a complete rebirth after this...

#3 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,402 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:05 AM

I agree with a self-imposed hiatus. I'm not sure if Penn State would be willing to do that, so I think the hammer will have to fall from above.

I don't see how there is any way Penn State doesn't get the death penalty. If the death penalty can be handed down for cheating the game, the NCAA will have no choice here. There is a difference between an organization paying students to play football and an organization covering up the destruction of young, innocent children's lives.

#4 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • 12,235 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

Oh I doubt very seriously that PSU would do it, just what I think should happen. Agree though, scholarship loss I have real no thoughts on, but that football program needs to be shut down for at least a couple of years....

#5 cbarrier90

cbarrier90

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:16 PM

If SMU gets the death penalty for negligently paying players, Penn State gets the death penalty as well.

#6 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

I know the Death Penalty punishes those that played no role in what happened, but if you don't dish out punishments for this, you can no longer dish out punishments for lesser infractions with any credibility.

#7 ScottInStanley

ScottInStanley

Shivagit

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:57 PM

You can't really base the punishment on who it affects. Case in point, OSU and Terrell Prior. Those kids there now had nothing to do with what happened yet are having to pay the price, while Prior basically paid no real price at all. (was allowed in supplemental draft) UNC, Miami, and many others come to mind. This makes what SMU did seem like a misnomer. I guess what flabbergasts me more are the PSU faithful who are still defending Paterno. Makes me want to vomit.

#8 cbarrier90

cbarrier90

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:25 PM

You can't really base the punishment on who it affects.

Punishment has to be paid by someone, and unfortunately people who weren't involved will get hit with the brunt of the sanctions.

The fact that a majority of people in Central PA STILL back Paterno in the wake of the Freeh Report shows just how much of a stranglehold PSU football has on the community. I understand it's not the NCAA's right to regulate morality, but a message MUST be sent that Penn State is not slave to the football program.

If you're a player for the Nittany Lions, how do you run out of the tunnel in that jersey? If you're a fan, how do you support the school knowing what went on there for so long? On the road, Penn State already plays in some raucous environments, but in light of the scandal, how will opposing fans react?

Penn State football will eventually take the field again, but to do it this fall is just too soon.

#9 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,402 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:42 AM

I do agree with C47 though. The NCAA and Penn State should do whatever they can to assist players in transferring and try to make the transition as easy as possible. There is no reason for these kids to have to take a hit on their potential careers.

#10 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,046 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:12 AM

I agree with a self-imposed hiatus. I'm not sure if Penn State would be willing to do that, so I think the hammer will have to fall from above.

I don't see how there is any way Penn State doesn't get the death penalty. If the death penalty can be handed down for cheating the game, the NCAA will have no choice here. There is a difference between an organization paying students to play football and an organization covering up the destruction of young, innocent children's lives.

From what I read about the NCAA rules, I don't think that they can give the death penalty in this case. In order to receive the death penalty, a program has to commit violations while it is on probation (that is what happened in SMU's case).

One of the problems the NCAA faces with this case is that they were set up to enforce rules for college athletics, not to punish criminal activities. I can't imagine that the committee foreasaw something like this when they wrote the rules. I guess it could fall under lack of institutional control though.

#11 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • 12,235 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:26 AM

The NCAA makes the rules up as they go along, if you look at previous cases, then one player committing a violation = two scholarships lost. Obviously that's not what happened in the Southern Cal case, or the OSU tattoo gate case....

#12 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,402 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:35 AM

One of the problems the NCAA faces with this case is that they were set up to enforce rules for college athletics, not to punish criminal activities. I can't imagine that the committee foreasaw something like this when they wrote the rules. I guess it could fall under lack of institutional control though.

This is the precise reason so many think that the death penalty is a possibility. They would have to expand their power a bit, but in this case I don't think anyone would blame them. If this isn't a complete and utter lack of institutional control, then I don't know what is.

I do agree that the way the bylaw is written, the death penalty is not a viable option. I also think that people are so disgusted that it is not unlikely the NCAA will vote to kill the program for a year.

#13 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:06 AM

It's going to come down to what's left of PSU after the civil suits and the Clery Act penalties are levied. The NCAA sounds to me like they're gonna drop the hammer to boot.

#14 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,046 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

This is the precise reason so many think that the death penalty is a possibility. They would have to expand their power a bit, but in this case I don't think anyone would blame them. If this isn't a complete and utter lack of institutional control, then I don't know what is.

I do agree that the way the bylaw is written, the death penalty is not a viable option. I also think that people are so disgusted that it is not unlikely the NCAA will vote to kill the program for a year.

It certainly wouldn't surprise me if you are right. But I have to admit I am a little leery of the NCAA expanding its powers due to popular outrage, even if its justified (as it is in this case).

#15 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,402 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

It certainly wouldn't surprise me if you are right. But I have to admit I am a little leery of the NCAA expanding its powers due to popular outrage, even if its justified (as it is in this case).

It does seem to be kind of a dangerous situation. The NCAA has a history of ignoring fact and making examples though. Not to mention the NCAA president is absolutely furious.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com