Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should Penn State Get The Death Penalty?

67 posts in this topic

Posted

It's going to come down to what's left of PSU after the civil suits and the Clery Act penalties are levied. The NCAA sounds to me like they're gonna drop the hammer to boot.

Posted

This is the precise reason so many think that the death penalty is a possibility. They would have to expand their power a bit, but in this case I don't think anyone would blame them. If this isn't a complete and utter lack of institutional control, then I don't know what is.

I do agree that the way the bylaw is written, the death penalty is not a viable option. I also think that people are so disgusted that it is not unlikely the NCAA will vote to kill the program for a year.

It certainly wouldn't surprise me if you are right. But I have to admit I am a little leery of the NCAA expanding its powers due to popular outrage, even if its justified (as it is in this case).

2 people like this

Posted

It certainly wouldn't surprise me if you are right. But I have to admit I am a little leery of the NCAA expanding its powers due to popular outrage, even if its justified (as it is in this case).

It does seem to be kind of a dangerous situation. The NCAA has a history of ignoring fact and making examples though. Not to mention the NCAA president is absolutely furious.

Posted

Punish a whole bunch of innocent athletes for the mistakes of the past. Seems legit.

Posted

without a doubt.

Posted

Which is why you assist all players in their transfer efforts and do not force them to sit out a season.

Posted

Give them the death penalty for as many years as they hid that stuff.

Posted

We'll find out tomorrow at 9am.

Reports are that it will not be the death penalty, but there will be very severe penalties, with some sources saying that the death penalty would have been preferable.

Posted

We'll find out tomorrow at 9am.

Reports are that it will not be the death penalty, but there will be very severe penalties, with some sources saying that the death penalty would have been preferable.

Yep. Looks like they will be intense.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-400_162-57477382/ncaa-source-unprecedented-penalties-against-penn-state/

CBS News has learned that the NCAA will announce what a high-ranking association source called "unprecedented" penalties against both the Penn State University football team and the school.

"I've never seen anything like it," the source told correspondent Armen Keteyian.

Posted

The NCAA could make the most of these unfortunate circumstances by levying punishments that would impact the school and not the athletes. Let's not forget that whatever penalties are imposed will effect the entire athletic department since the football program obviously brings in the most money, of which portions are doled out to the other athletic programs.

The penalties the NCAA imposes now on schools has little effect on the schools themselves and a far reaching impact on the athletes. The school will retain their portion of any TV contracts which is easily the biggest chunk of change they receive. Penalizing them with no bowl appearances will cost them a few mil and removing scholarships will only hurt athletes.

While they likely will not get the death penalty, let's not forget when SMU did, the school was forced to shut the fooball program down in 1987.

Again, I think the NCAA could make the best of a bad situation by allowing an open exit policy for any athlete on campus without requiring a sit-out year. As a matter of fact, I'd consider letting them leave with their scholarships so another school wouldn't have to pick up the tab.

Posted

Punish a whole bunch of innocent athletes for the mistakes of the past. Seems legit.

Says all the USC players bc of the sanctions from Reggie Bush

Every time they rule innocent people get punished this is even more heinous as it involved everyone from coaches to the AD to the president

Posted

Says all the USC players bc of the sanctions from Reggie Bush

There was vitually nobody left on the USC coaching staff or the entire team roster by the time the NCAA laid down to law on USC. It was so long after Reggie left USC that it had no impact on the players because none of them were there. So, with a roster full of players who never played with Reggie, USC simply kept winning, NCAA sanctions or not.