Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirtyMagic97

Should Penn State Get The Death Penalty?

64 posts in this topic

hard for the big ten to really do anything else at this point unless they want to kick psu out, which I do not think they really want to do.

They could have taken away television revenue to, but the punishment is severe enough with the 65 schollie roster limit....

Penn st. fans should want the death penalty, because of people like me who have never been a fan of thier program. I do not or have not ever recognized paterno as a legend because of victories won two three and four decades ago. So whenever someone mentions college football I naturally think of the Sec. Whenever someone mentions penn st football I think of assisted child rape. And I am sure I am not the only one. So the best thing to do is drop the program and start trying to wash away the stains left by thier beloved legendary petophiles.

Too harsh, but I don't care about Penn State that much so let's move on. Feel sorry for friends who invested all their emotions in that program from afar. The Sandusky thing was like getting run over by a steamroller. The NCAA just backed up over them and finished the job. They've lost their past, their near future, and the present don't look so good either, and all because of one child rapist and the friends who tried to protect him.

Just because I say that doesn't mean I don't feel for the victims, so don't go there. You can feel sorry for both, and obviously the victims went through a lot worse than having a favorite team's accomplishments erased by the NCAA.

If I was Penn State I would just shut it down at this point. Marshall's rebuilding job was nothing compared to this. Glad they took JoePa's wins away. Bet you you're going to hear the Bob Knights of the world complain that "a cheater like Bobby Bowden should be stripped of his too, then".

Current students and long time fans shouldn't have to suffer because of certain people's mistakes. I do think that they should fire anyone involved and absolutely destroy some certain people's legacy. I was very glad to see them take away Joe Paterno's statue. A statue should be erected for a hero, and a hero would have done something about the rape that was taking place.

Then take all penalties out of college athletics.

Fans at Miami are suffering/going to suffer from the actions of a few players.

USC fans have had to deal with sanctions against their teams.

OSU fans are dealing with that now as well.

SMU fans had to endure a death penalty.

Sucks for the fans, but if you don't punish this, you can't punish anything ever again.

Then take all penalties out of college athletics.

Fans at Miami are suffering/going to suffer from the actions of a few players.

USC fans have had to deal with sanctions against their teams.

OSU fans are dealing with that now as well.

SMU fans had to endure a death penalty.

Sucks for the fans, but if you don't punish this, you can't punish anything ever again.

I disagree. Fans, though they pay money, are nothing but spectators. If they don't like what they see, they don't have to watch. Infractions should always be peanalized.

Were any of those wins in the national title game? When was PSU's last title?

I disagree. Fans, though they pay money, are nothing but spectators. If they don't like what they see, they don't have to watch. Infractions should always be peanalized.

Yeah...that was my point.

I was disagreeing with the argument that its not fair to fans/other players/etc because if you use that argument, then you should never levy penalties against anyone, yet I never see anyone disagreeing with the sanctions against USC, OSU, Miami, or UNC.

Let's keep the apples with the apples and the oranges with the oranges. The sanctions against UNC, OSU, USC and Miami were directly related to players and their actions, either on or off the field. Granted, in nearly every one of these specific situations, players who weren't even part of the team are being unduly punished.

The Penn State situation had nothing to do with any of the players and, in that context, the NCAA should have made sure that the punishment and sanctions fall directly upon the school and not the program.

Fines? Okay, that may be the stiffest penalty of all. No bowl games? Sure, although they probably weren't going to be invited to one regardless.

Vacating wins? Tell me who that effects besides the players who won those games? Nobody. And nobody will care because every one of the players on those teams will know, as did their opponents, what the final score read on the scoreboard when the game ended. Really? Taking away wins? What for?