Photo
- - - - -

Should Penn State Get The Death Penalty?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

I'm with Panthro on the one year thing. I don't agree with a lot of what the NCAA did today, but I do agree with taking JoePa's wins. I doubt you'll see anyone hang on for dear life just to beat a record any more. JoePa should have retired at 70. Bowden should have, too.

What we have here is a university that prided itself on doing things right, and by that I mean they actually cared about the athlete's education. JoePa once said that it wasn't enough to have a high graduation rate, that the degrees the players were getting had to actually mean something. I believe this was noble and that should have been allowed to survive through this mess. Let something good survive here. Let this community heal. Like I said in an earlier thread, change the uniforms, change the colors, take a year off...but let one good thing remain from the past. Happy Valley isn't evil any more than Germany is evil.

#62 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

Dupe. Damn this system.

#63 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,942 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:48 PM

So, what about the period between 1974 and 1998? Now there are more victims going back to 1974...

Its a punishment directed at Paterno's legacy, not Sandusky. Its when Paterno knew about it, not when the abuse started, at least irt Paterno's record.

#64 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 17,060 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

So, what about the period between 1974 and 1998? Now there are more victims going back to 1974...

The penalties imposed were not about the abuse....it was about the point in time that the PSU leaders knew (or should have known and chose not to believe it) that something was wrong. That occured in 1998.

Not that hard to understand.

#65 King

King

A Cell of Awareness

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:11 AM

Is there not a way to remove Paterno from the record books without discrediting the accomplishments of the players in those wins?

#66 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 5,370 posts
  • LocationAlmost where I want to be...

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

Its a punishment directed at Paterno's legacy, not Sandusky. Its when Paterno knew about it, not when the abuse started, at least irt Paterno's record.

Wasn't Paterno's record- the players won those games, not the coach. Bobby Knight had it right this morning on ESPN when he said the players on both teams in each of those 115 games knows exactly what the outcome was, and they'll always remember it.

#67 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 15,942 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:44 PM

Wasn't Paterno's record- the players won those games, not the coach. Bobby Knight had it right this morning on ESPN when he said the players on both teams in each of those 115 games knows exactly what the outcome was, and they'll always remember it.

Paterno wanted the record, but now he doesn't have it. My guess is that the NCAA was saying, worry less about your legacy, and more about doing the right thing. And the players may remember it, but 20 years from now, when someone looks up winningest coaches, they will see Bowden or Robinson, and Paterno's name will not be anywhere near the top. He will be known as the guy who protected the perv, not as college football's winningest coach.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.