• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#106 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,512 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:57 PM

yeah Kurb

some people will never understand the "people are responsible for their own actions" and "people intending to hurt a lot of people are going to do so one way or another" arguments because all they see is that guns are an enabler for such situations... I can understand their logic, but don't agree with it either...

If I had to use another analogy instead of forks or cars or whatever, you could think of a tree...

You can cut off many branches of a tree and it will continue to grow...

Such is life... Take away guns... Take away knives... Take away bombs... Take away every single weapon in the world, and you still don't take away the rings of growth of the human conditions that are a lack of judgement and an overabundance of hatred, stupidity, and irresponsibility...

This is true. Until you, like, look at actual numbers and data and stuff.

#107 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:11 PM

?

please provide your prehistoric statistics

#108 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,425 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

The guy thought he was the Joker. I would say the movies have warped his mind.

I think we should ban Hollywood movies. No more fantasy movies like the "dark knight". Too many nutjob PHD's out there who watch these movies. It is the movies fault. Ban them.

#109 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,512 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:26 PM

Comparing like with like (similar economies. Largely clean governments and police forces)

Guns per 100 people Murders per 100 K

US 88.8 4.8
Canada 30.8 1.6
Spain 10.4 .72

http://en.wikipedia....l_homicide_rate

http://en.wikipedia....pita_by_country

#110 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,512 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:27 PM

BUT YOU CAN TRIP AND STAB YOUR EYE STRAIGHT THROUGH WITH SCISSORS BAN SCISSORS LOLOLOLOLOL

#111 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,558 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:34 PM

My whole argument around guns is very simple. I don't like the idea of the government being the only force that's allowed to be armed. An armed citizenry helps to stave off oppressive regimes, in theory. I don't trust our government AT ALL, and I don't believe that their power derives from the people any longer.

Sure it would be great to ban guns from a social standpoint, keep people safe from random crazies and whatnot, but it's not some random dude in a theater that I"m worried about.

#112 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:51 PM

My whole argument around guns is very simple. I don't like the idea of the government being the only force that's allowed to be armed. An armed citizenry helps to stave off oppressive regimes, in theory. I don't trust our government AT ALL, and I don't believe that their power derives from the people any longer.

Sure it would be great to ban guns from a social standpoint, keep people safe from random crazies and whatnot, but it's not some random dude in a theater that I"m worried about.

If the really gov wanted to be actually oppressive theb a bunch of weekend warriors aren't stopping them.

#113 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,558 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

there are 88.8 guns per 100people in the US. That's quite a deterrent. Full outright oppression, facism, or somesuch (think Stalin/Hitler, Mussolini, or even worse) becomes a pretty messy business, unless, of course, they disarm the citizenry.

#114 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,558 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

Think of it this way. There are more guns per person in the US than either Iraq or Afghanistan. How well is a military based occupation/rule working out there?

#115 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• HUDDLER
  • 10,102 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

How many of those people have like 20 guns though. My dad has over 30. You can be a billy badass all you want but 30 guns one one person is still one person with a gun. How many gunowners are there in the US, not guns per people.

#116 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,558 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:41 PM

The estimate, because no one knows for sure, is about 80 million gun owners. The point is though, that should the cause arise, there are enough privately owned guns in the country to literally arm almost every single living person. Man, woman, and child.

#117 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,558 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

Although if you go by the gallup poll from 2011, approximately 47% of all adults reportedly have a gun in their home, or access to one.
http://www.gallup.co...ghest-1993.aspx

#118 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,185 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

The NRA abets gun violence

It blocks all reasonable measures to keep guns out of the hands of criminals

July 3, 2012 12:38 pm
By Joseph Bielevicz

As someone whose job it is to investigate and prosecute firearms violations, and as someone who once thought the NRA supported law enforcement, I have come to realize that the NRA takes every chance it gets to stymie even reasonable efforts to combat gun violence.

How else can one view the NRA's opposition to the release of gun trace data, for example?
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms maintains a database which could provide a wide variety of valuable trace information with just a few keystrokes. But the NRA's allies in Congress have successfully passed laws which limit the data that may be released to law enforcement agencies.

The NRA's "solution" is for you to stock up on guns and gear and arm yourself to the teeth. Oh, and while your wallet is already out, how about sending the NRA a few bucks so they can fight to protect your rights?

Read more: http://www.post-gaze.../#ixzz21DZAMLbz

#119 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• HUDDLER
  • 3,366 posts
  • LocationGitmo

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:17 PM

If the really gov wanted to be actually oppressive theb a bunch of weekend warriors aren't stopping them.

3%. All it takes is 3% of gun owners to stand up and say enough is enough. I will bet on those 3%.

#120 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,185 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:38 AM

3%. All it takes is 3% of gun owners to stand up and say enough is enough. I will bet on those 3%.

The series of events that would have to take place for such a scenario to come to pass would be beyond the scope of anything this country has seen since the civil war. We all know how that turned out and most of those Southerners had a level of knowledge, ability and commitment to the cause that the vast majority of today's weekend militia are ill prepared to match.

Massive peaceful protests by average Americans have had a much greater impact on American society for the last 150 years than any militia activity and it is not even close. There is no reason to believe that reality is changing anytime in the foreseeable future.

However, if you have time to develop a script, you might be able to make a fortune selling it to Hollywood.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.