Photo
* - - - - 2 votes

We can cut Deangelo next year and owe him nothing, no cap hits,nothing!

#Hurneymagic!!

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#16 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,554 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:54 PM

F u c k that. Why would we cut one of our best offensive weapons? Over money?! C'mon man.

I think all ya'll need is a healthy dosage of DeAngelo Williams highlights to remind you what this man has done for our organization and why we love him.

Ah yes, the Deangelo Williams from three, four seasons ago. Thanks for posting!

#17 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,233 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:04 PM

The whole "dump DeAngelo" bandwagon is one I've never had any desire to jump on.

The run game got better as the season went along last year, and personally I'm looking forward to seeing what it does this season.

#18 Guest_Bwood_*

Guest_Bwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:05 PM

The same people that thought Cam Newton and the option wouldn't work in the NFL are the same people worried about the Deangelo Williams situation.

#19 GolfRasta

GolfRasta

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • LocationPinehurst

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:10 PM

WTF? Where is this hate for D-Lo coming from? Yes we may have "over-paid" him last year but he was the top FA RB last year. We had to keep him and I'm glad we did! He's exactly the type of player we want in our locker room, not to mention his stats are grossly under rated. Dude is getting ready to break Jim Brown's YPA record. I love me some D-Lo!! And it's just awesome to yell "D-Lo" when he breaks one! F*ck all you haters! I hope D-Lo is a panther for life!

#20 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,233 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:12 PM

"Cut or trade them before they lose a step" is a popular mindset among football fans, but one that rarely gets applied all that effectively in real world decision making.

More often than not, most teams keep guys longer than they should. The Panthers will probably do that with Steve Smith, among others.

My opinion: It's not really that big a tragedy.

#21 Guest_Bwood_*

Guest_Bwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:15 PM

"Cut or trade them before they lose a step" is a popular mindset among football fans, but one that rarely gets applied all that effectively in real world decision making.

More often than not, most teams keep guys longer than they should. The Panthers will probably do that with Steve Smith, among others.

My opinion: It's not really that big a tragedy.

Summarized: For some reason there are users that think this is Madden.

#22 TruCatzFan

TruCatzFan

Phil 4:13

• HUDDLER
  • 6,470 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

Yeah, because it's so smart to pay him 25 million this year and then let him walk and get nothing in return...

This has nothing to do with it being the offseason. This is another shining example that SOME of our fans are completely clueless, not to mention ungreatful for the best YPC avg of any active running back in the NFL... Oh wait.... This just in, he's second only to Jim Brown in NFL History!!! <----- There's a long list of HOFers that can't even say that.

DeAngelo could run for 5,000 yds this season and people here will still swear that we overpaid him... Just GTFO if you're one of them. Seriously.

I wish I were a mod do I could at least minimize garbage like this from being on this site. It makes us all look bad as a fan family. In order for you to actually be embarrassed by something like this, you must of course have class. It's obviously lacking with some of our brethren.

#23 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,233 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:30 PM

Summarized: For some reason there are users that think this is Madden.

Granted :lol:

No offense to the poster, but I have to admit my enjoyment of that highlight package increased immensely the moment I hit the "mute" button on my PC.

#24 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• ALL-PRO
  • 13,290 posts
  • LocationGATOR CREEK- SC

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:37 PM

Not sure what the big deal is I signed both Dwill and JStew to 7 year 40 million plus contracts on Madden they seemed pretty happy.

#25 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• ALL-PRO
  • 13,290 posts
  • LocationGATOR CREEK- SC

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:39 PM

I wish we could give DWILL more money

#26 rico6

rico6

Shit.

• HUDDLER
  • 6,712 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:44 PM

Would much rather restructure or something, don't want to let the guy walk, but when it comes to D-lo or J-stew?

Stewy all day.

#27 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,709 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:45 PM

It seems like no matter how many times we discuss how contracts are handled cap-wise, no one gets any wiser.

Here are the facts once again:
  • Bonus money is always spread out over the length of the contract
  • It doesn't matter if you pay the bonus up front, or over several years, it always is divided over the contract length
  • We can cut DWill at any time, but the bonus charge allocated to future years all gets crammed into the year we cut him
  • DWill's contract is back-loaded, not front-loaded
  • When people talk about the later years not being guaranteed, they are talking about salary. You can dump the salary. You cannot dump the cap hit from bonuses.
This stuff is not that hard to understand. If we cut DWill after this season, JR will be saving himself some cash, but the team will have to absorb a $9.6 million hit to the cap. That isn't going to happen.

#28 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 19,678 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:35 AM

That, I wouldn't care. It all depends on how well the rb committee plays out. If all three plays well, the FO will have to decides if they want to keep 28 around. If one of Dwill or Stew plays poorly, it's easy, keep the productive one and let the other guy walk. But I'd like to keep stew after next year since the kid is younger. Unless Dwill runs for 18tds again.

But if 34 and 38 both plays great. I say franchise Stewart all day. No one really for us to use the franchise tag on next year but 28.

#29 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 19,678 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:39 AM

Would much rather restructure or something, don't want to let the guy walk, but when it comes to D-lo or J-stew?

Stewy all day.

Franchise Stew.

#30 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:30 AM

I admitt that I was surprised that we gave D Will such a large contract. But I wasn't mad about it cause D Will has been a great back for us, yes Stew is a very good back and has better hands than D Will, catching the ball that is.

Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Avg Lng Fum
Stewart 2008-2011 3,500 4.8 67 26 81 702 8.7 55 10
Williams 2006-2011 5,045 5.1 77 38 134 1,057 7.9 41 6

The fact is that we have two of the better backs than any team in the NFL and I would love for us to find a way to keep them both, instead of everyone always trying to figure out a way to dump D Will. Players finally want to play in Carolina now. I think we can keep them both. Cam, D Will, Stewart, Tolbert, Olsen, Smith, LaFell & Gettis.....Wow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com