Photo
* - - - - 2 votes

We can cut Deangelo next year and owe him nothing, no cap hits,nothing!

#Hurneymagic!!

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#76 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:03 AM

People tend to grasp at straws when making an arguement. Just the way things are. Stew was on the field more so he must be better. Not exactly the case as we have found out.

DWill is what folks call a home run hitter. He can take it to the house with any touch. He just may get more catches this year, I can see it.

Stewy, he is more the battering ram/bowling ball type. Still effective, but nowhere near as dangerous.

Why Not be happy having both? Come on man!

Couldn't agree more. I love Stew's running style, I love DWill's home run threat. We should be thankful we have both.

It is understandable that some don't like DWill's contract and by extension, worry about keeping Stew. That is a valid argument. What I don't get is people dissing DWill to try to bolster their position regarding Stew. That is what I take strong exception to.

#77 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,967 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:05 AM

I know you want to ignore this, but as a refresher, Stewart was named the league's worst pass blocker in 2011.

Let me ask you a question...did he look like the leagues worst blocker? Did Blount in Tampa, who potentially is one of the worst, look like a top 10 best blocker?

When a stat doesn't match the eyeball test....it is best not to use it. The fact they rated Blount top 10 last year should tell you something.

#78 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:53 AM

I know you want to ignore this, but as a refresher, Stewart was named the league's worst pass blocker in 2011.

No he wasn't. Profootball focus ranked him near the bottom but other shitty players like Darren Sproles and Lesean McCoy were below him. Deangello was just ranked slighly better than him in pass blocking so I would say they both suck in that aspect.

#79 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• HUDDLER
  • 5,360 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

it doesn't take a rocket scientist to watch game footage and see who is the better of the 2 in pass protection.

if you see anything other than the obvious...then you're obviously lying to yourself.

since game one, it's been obvious who the coaching staff is more comfortable with when the game is on the line.

#80 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,159 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

I think the kids call it Peerless Price Pox or Javon Walker Pneumonia.

I'd call Harper more historically relevant since his move happened back when unrestricted free agency as we know it now was still fairly new.

All of which is a veiled way of saying that I'm kinda old :unsure:

#81 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,529 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:10 PM

Couldn't agree more. I love Stew's running style, I love DWill's home run threat. We should be thankful we have both.

It is understandable that some don't like DWill's contract and by extension, worry about keeping Stew. That is a valid argument. What I don't get is people dissing DWill to try to bolster their position regarding Stew. That is what I take strong exception to.

Stewy is a beast that is for sure. And he is capable of breaking off some good runs. I just don't see him as a homerun threat. They really are two different type backs that compliment each other very well. Too bad that is not enough for some folks.

Fans have a need to categorize and pigeon hole players. Who is better, who should be playing, who got too much money, etc. It is a way to play the we are better than you game. Or in our case, the we have some really good players but are not yet on your level game.

Until DWill shows a significant drop in production, I will consider him the more explosive back. Nothing against Stewy and that outrageous stiff-arm. Just the way I see it.

#82 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:40 PM

You know what? With further analysis, the OP was right. We could cut DWill after this season.

Look at it this way...We could cut him once the 2013 league year starts and call it a June 1 cut, just like we did with Wharton. The bonus acceleration would cause $4.8 million to hit the books in 2013, and the same in 2014. But the salary that would be avoided amounts to $4,750,000 in 2013, and an even greater $5,750,000 in 2014.

So it would be a negative impact of only $50,000 next year (nothing) and a positive impact of $950,000 in 2014.

Granted, you would have to replace the roster spot, and that would carry an impact, but that is sorta besides the point for this discussion.

Anyone see any fallacy in this analysis?

#83 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

You know what? With further analysis, the OP was right. We could cut DWill after this season.

Look at it this way...We could cut him once the 2013 league year starts and call it a June 1 cut, just like we did with Wharton. The bonus acceleration would cause $4.8 million to hit the books in 2013, and the same in 2014. But the salary that would be avoided amounts to $4,750,000 in 2013, and an even greater $5,750,000 in 2014.

So it would be a negative impact of only $50,000 next year (nothing) and a positive impact of $950,000 in 2014.

Granted, you would have to replace the roster spot, and that would carry an impact, but that is sorta besides the point for this discussion.

Anyone see any fallacy in this analysis?

Are you hoping DWill signs a vet minimum contract? If so, you may be in for some dissappointment. Or a draft pick? Or a FA? Someone has to take that spot.

Or as some have suggested, just grab a guy and plug him in. So in that case it would be a cheap option.

But to actually answer the question. It seems to be a possible solution. Although I am not a cap, or contract, expert. And I in no way would endorse this course of action. But, it looks feasable. I now dislike you for even suggesting this.

#84 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

Are you hoping DWill signs a vet minimum contract? If so, you may be in for some dissappointment. Or a draft pick? Or a FA? Someone has to take that spot.

Or as some have suggested, just grab a guy and plug him in. So in that case it would be a cheap option.

But to actually answer the question. It seems to be a possible solution. Although I am not a cap, or contract, expert. And I in no way would endorse this course of action. But, it looks feasable. I now dislike you for even suggesting this.

No, I am not rooting for this. It's just an exercise in cap management.

But at least we know we could do it if we had to.

#85 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:28 PM

No, I am not rooting for this. It's just an exercise in cap management.

But at least we know we could do it if we had to.

Yeah, I'm sure we just solved the problem. And there was great rejoicing. We just may go down in infamy with this.

#86 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,826 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

Just to clarify, the Williams contract includes $21 million guaranteed, A $16 million signing bonus, and the 2011 base salary ($5 million). The signing bonus pro-rated over the 5 years at $3.2 million per year against the cap hit. If Williams is released next offseason, the $9.6 million in signing bonus cap hits would count against the 2013 cap hit. If they release him after June 1, 2013, they can spread that $9.6 million out over 2 years of cap hits.

Mike, Spotrac

Exactly

If they released him, they would not owe him any more cash. But the pro rated bonus would hit the cap for 9.6m.

#87 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

Exactly

If they released him, they would not owe him any more cash. But the pro rated bonus would hit the cap for 9.6m.

Yes, but take a look at post 82 above. Although I hope they don't, cutting him would have almost no net impact cap-wise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com