Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr. Scot

BOA Stadium now "Panthers Stadium" (sort of)

From the New York Daily News:

Bank of America Stadium? Never heard of it.

Democrats organizing the party’s national convention in Charlotte, N.C., seem to have forgotten the name of a key venue.

In fundraising messages, the convention host committee has taken to calling the stadium where President Obama will accept the Democratic nomination “Panther Stadium” rather than “Bank of America Stadium.”

The 73,778-seat open-air home of Carolina Panthers football - where Obama is hoping to fire up his base on the final night of the convention in September - was renamed for the financial giant in 2004.

The link to Bank of America may have been an awkward reminder for Democrats of the financial crisis and the still-struggling U.S. economy. The bank sparked accusations of Wall Street greed just last year when it announced a plan to nickel and dime its customers by charging a $5 monthly fee to use its debit cards. The plan was scrapped after a massive uproar.

The convention host committee has also made a point to avoid links to major corporations by sharply limiting their donations to the convention events at the Time Warner Cable Arena.

Democrats drop Bank of America’s name from North Carolina convention venue, calling it ‘Panthers Stadium’

Strikes me as kinda silly, honestly.

It's better for us and better for them. BofA does not own the thing and this is not an NFL event, they could call it the CharlotteObamaDome if they liked.

I don't really see how it's "better for us".

Like I said, it just comes off as silly to me.

Guest Bwood

I like 'Panther Stadium' better. BOA has fuged me over way too many times.

So Cam can have like 20 nicknames but BOA can't have just one AKA?

Actually, we've tested out several "AKA" type names like "The Bank", "The Vault", "The Cat's Lair", etc but none of them ever really seemed to catch on much with anyone.

I'm one of the folks who hates the whole "naming rights" thing that gives us venues like "Quicken Loans Arena" and such. I know that's how it's done today, but it sucks, especially for historic places like Joe Robbie Stadium (Which is now what? Land Shark Field or some such crap?)

But with that said, this whole "change the name so as not to mention BOA" thing still strikes me as pretty stupid.

Now saying "we didn't mean it" (PFT)

In response to reports from the New York Daily News and elsewhere that Democratic party dropped the corporate moniker deliberately due to the potentially negative association with a for-profit financial behemoth, the local host committee that referred to the venue as “Panthers Stadium” in fundraising emails claims that the oversight wasn’t intentional.

“Bank of America has been a great local partner and supportive of Charlotte’s efforts to host the 2012 Convention,” Charlotte in 2012 Convention Host Committee Don Murrey said in an email sent to PFT. ”Anyone who takes the time to visit our website will see that we have no problem referring to Bank of America Stadium. We also refer to it as Panthers Stadium from time to time, the more informal local nickname of the stadium.”

We now return you to coverage of the teams that play at, for instance, Steelers Stadium. And Saints** Stadium. And Packers Stadium.

Somebody high up at BOA probably got pissed about it.

Charlotte Motor Speedway becomes Lowes Motor Speedway

World 600 becomes Coca Cola 600

Hey, if they pony up the cash, they get the right to have their name on it.

It's better for us and better for them. BofA does not own the thing and this is not an NFL event, they could call it the CharlotteObamaDome if they liked.

Your liberal homerism is strong today.

There is absolutely no other reason to do this than Obama trying to distance himself from Corporate America. To justify it as anything else just shows how truly blind and ridiculous you are.

So Cam can have like 20 nicknames but BOA can't have just one AKA?

It is NOT a nickname.

It is BOFA Stadium because they purchased the naming rights.

I didn't think of it being because of the Bank Of America moniker...more just an appeasement to North/South Carolina voters who happen to be Panther fans. I'm sure it's just an oversight...lol.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Flamingo58