Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

King Taharqa

Charlotte Chamber Of Commerce studying Minority Businesses

The city is totally dependent on an industry that needs government bailouts every other year.

Ask Detroit how that turns out.

The financial industry is slightly different than the Auto Industry. So long as this country remains pseudo-capitalist, the money will still flow.

good ole boy networks affect every business, not just minority-owned businesses. I've tried to to get work from Charlotte and its damn near impossible unless you're "in".

<<member of the good old boys network

It's good at the top.

I think you lose the battle the moment you decide to classify yourself as a minority business.

I deal with hundreds of small business owners every week who choose not to label themselves that way, and of course it's a very diverse group of people.

You do a good job / sell a good product / provide good service / treat people right, etc. and I don't really give a rip what race / color / sex / creed / religion / whatever you are. I'll patronize your business.

Fail to do those things and I don't care if you're my best friend or my brother-in-law. I'm going elsewhere.

I think you lose the battle the moment you decide to classify yourself as a minority business.

I agree. I still think most of them do it only when it's convenient for them to do so.

I deal with hundreds of small business owners every week who choose not to label themselves that way, and of course it's a very diverse group of people.

I agree, except perhaps when your business is targeted at minorities.

our Atlanta office has explored partnering with minority-owned engineering firms in order to obtain work down there. I guess it goes both ways.

network will require you to get to know people unlike yourself. cliques work in every circle of life and with every color.

got a buddy who is a vp for a big bank as a vendor/buyer. they catch all kinds of hell if they do NOT actively seek out minority owned businesses. in fact some of their bonus for the year end is directly related to a metric for that. they may have a non minority owned business that might offer a better price or product but they have a certain % they absolutely have to adhere too.

so part political correctness, part checks and balances, part much ado about nothing, part it's called the business world. its highly competitive.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    SLangkil