• Please log in to reply
544 replies to this topic

#481 kdrh5

kdrh5

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

"i have asked this before but why can't someone who hates not also use the exact same line of thinking that they were born that way"

Understand the point of most of your post, but why would anyone even ask this question? Being hateful is a bad thing. Being gay is not. Who cares if a hateful person claims they are born that way. What does that have to do with gays being discriminated against. I dont follow this particular point.

I would only bring being born a certain way up if I held gays and bad people in the same light.

#482 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:13 PM

THIS is how it's done. If you're going to be a bad person, be a bad person and embrace it.

Thanks. If you think I'm a bad person, I must be doing something right.

#483 mav1234

mav1234

• ALL-PRO
  • 16,758 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:15 PM

i have asked this before but why can't someone who hates not also use the exact same line of thinking that they were born that way?

Seriously? lol... sure, they can claim they were born hating something, but you are acting like being born attracted to members of the same sex is the same as being born hating people who are attracted to the same sex. That is not the case. An equivalent but opposite expression might be being born hating the same sex, or opposite sex - not hating a particular group of people based on a supposed lifestyle choice (which isn't even a choice but it seems pretty integral to anti-gay marriage to call it a choice). Also, hating someone, and then taking action to deny them rights, is fundamentally different than simply wanting to live your life in such a way as to have the same rights and privileges as other people, or from disliking something about someone else but NOT taking actions that negatively impact them. if you can't see this, I can't help you.

On top of that, how many Christians against gay marriage do you run into that say, "I can't help that I'm hateful, I was born that way"? None. They all say, "God TOLD me this is how it has to be!" and often say "I'm not hateful; I love the sinner, I hate the sin, but I can't allow Gods laws to be trampled on blah blah blah". They don't use the argument that they were born bigots.

#484 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,506 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

Everyone knows that if you are against abortion, which will make women happy, you hate women. Got it.

#485 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,733 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:24 PM

This thread fuging depresses me and makes me hate humanity. The government should never have let the public vote on an issue that, the outcome of which, denies privilege to a group of people based on a lifestyle choice because our moron public will use their religion as a crutch to impose their bigoted ideals on society. Gay marriage does not force you to approve of gay marriage. It does not force your church to condone gay marriage. It does not force your pastor to marry gay people. It does not change the bible, and doesn't change your interpretation of what Jesus said. ALL it does is allow for civil unions between two loving people to be afforded the same government privilege that EVERYONE should have. The Supreme court should just rule that the governmental definition of marriage includes all legal two party unions, religion be damned. This is not a fundamentalist government and the asshats in this country continue to try to make it so.

#486 mav1234

mav1234

• ALL-PRO
  • 16,758 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:24 PM

Rodeo, gather your friends, get some political activism going and get the law changed if you believe so strongly in this. I will vote against gay marriage every time it's on the ballot. That's my right, and if it makes me a bigot, I couldn't care less. I'm not changing my mind because of anyone's view of me. The day I start caring what people think about my beliefs is the day I stop breathing.

Oh it does make you a bigot, but not because you are a Christian. Congrats on your bigotry, at least you embrace it - I commend you for that. Too many of your peers aren't willing to embrace that. You're not a bigot because you're a Christian (and nor are you, Proudiddy). You're a bigot because you want to deny gay people the same rights and privileges you have.

Proudiddy just doesn't want gay people getting married in his church but apparently is fine with gay people getting married. Is that an accurate assessment, Proudiddy? If so, the reason someone might define you as a bigot is that you are refusing to allow them to have the ability to do something you could do. Frankly, you may fit the literal term of bigotry, but I wouldn't care so long as you also actually voted against things like Amendment 1 etc, because what you do in your religious institution is, in my opinion, your business. Also, earlier you said that bisexuals present a problem with some of the "born that way" stuff - what did you mean?

#487 kdrh5

kdrh5

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

You should just agree to disagree. I don't hate gays...and these posters can't make me. I don't believe you hate gays either. They are obviously trying to guilt people into changing their minds. Which isn't likely to happen given the subject matter.

Rodeo, gather your friends, get some political activism going and get the law changed if you believe so strongly in this. I will vote against gay marriage every time it's on the ballot. That's my right, and if it makes me a bigot, I couldn't care less. I'm not changing my mind because of anyone's view of me. The day I start caring what people think about my beliefs is the day I stop breathing.

Preface, don't think you hate anyone, and I also wouldn't refer to you as a bigot unless I knew you or you donated to hate groups.

I also think if marriage equality comes on the ballot, which it shouldn't EVER, and you vote against it due to religious beliefs you're not hateful or a bad person but that does mean you're imposing your interpretation of scripture on everyone else despite whether they believe it or not. You believe marriage is between a man and a woman but I think that rule is meant for you and people of your faith, not me.

Your religion isn't hateful, and your relationship with god is awesome, and I respect it, but it shouldn't have an affect on me in that respect.

But really, it shouldn't get to that point and you or me shouldn't be put in the position to vote on other's rights in the first place since they're, y'know, rights.

#488 mav1234

mav1234

• ALL-PRO
  • 16,758 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

I don't know if stan is a hatemonger who is "full of hate" or whatever, I doubt it and frankly I don't care... his actions are bigoted towards homosexuals if he's voting for Amendment 1 though, and he seems okay with that. I'm sure he's an awesome guy in other ways, etc... I'm not saying he's a terrible person. I also recognize the word "Bigot" is offensive to some, and I'm sorry if it offends people reading this post to be called a bigot but the easy remedy is to try not to deny other people rights and ya know I doubt some random dude on the internet will call you a bigot. at least, not as often :P

edit: and to clarify, I don't think merely defining yourself as a Christian makes you a bigot at all. I think if you use your Christianity as the excuse for your bigoted actions, you're still a bigot.

#489 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 16,257 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:39 PM

Oh it does make you a bigot, but not because you are a Christian. Congrats on your bigotry, at least you embrace it - I commend you for that. Too many of your peers aren't willing to embrace that. You're not a bigot because you're a Christian (and nor are you, Proudiddy). You're a bigot because you want to deny gay people the same rights and privileges you have.

Proudiddy just doesn't want gay people getting married in his church but apparently is fine with gay people getting married. Is that an accurate assessment, Proudiddy? If so, the reason someone might define you as gay is that you are refusing to allow them to have the ability to do something you could do. Frankly, you may fit the literal term of bigotry, but I wouldn't care so long as you also actually voted against things like Amendment 1 etc, because what you do in your religious institution is, in my opinion, your business. Also, earlier you said that bisexuals present a problem with some of the "born that way" stuff - what did you mean?

lol paging Dr. Freud

#490 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,290 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:42 PM

Wow....33 pages.

#491 mav1234

mav1234

• ALL-PRO
  • 16,758 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:43 PM

lol paging Dr. Freud

damn it. Not what i meant, lol. edited. >.>

Wow....33 pages.

well, religion, politics... what more could you ask for in a Tinderbox thread? heh

#492 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 16,257 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

Wow....33 pages.

We in the Tinderbox spend most of our time accusing one another of being bigots and racists for no reason at all. So when actual bigots show up, sheeeeiiiit, it's gonna go for some time.

#493 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:01 PM

I don't know if stan is a hatemonger who is "full of hate" or whatever, I doubt it and frankly I don't care... his actions are bigoted towards homosexuals if he's voting for Amendment 1 though, and he seems okay with that. I'm sure he's an awesome guy in other ways, etc... I'm not saying he's a terrible person. I also recognize the word "Bigot" is offensive to some, and I'm sorry if it offends people reading this post to be called a bigot but the easy remedy is to try not to deny other people rights and ya know I doubt some random dude on the internet will call you a bigot. at least, not as often :P

edit: and to clarify, I don't think merely defining yourself as a Christian makes you a bigot at all. I think if you use your Christianity as the excuse for your bigoted actions, you're still a bigot.

I'm far from full of hate. In fact I love you gays...um guys. Seriously though, I didn't vote for Amendment 1...I abstained (It's hard to resist the urge to troll every now and then). I do believe marriage should be between a man and a woman...but if you want civil unions, domestic partnerships, or you want to marry a pig...knock yourselves out. As long as my church isn't forced to perform the ceremony, I really don't care.

#494 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,733 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:04 PM

I'm pretty sure that you'll never have to worry about the government forcing your church to marry anyone. At least I fuging hope not.

#495 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 16,257 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:15 PM

No one on either side supports that. Practically the definition of a straw man.

In fact, what you're worried about is already reality, and you're supporting it. The government IS regulating who your church can and can't marry. You invited the government into your sanctuary, just because it's something you agree with this time.

By allowing them to regulate who your church can't marry, you've swung the door wide open for this thing you're worried about when they tell you who you have to marry. If you ("you" being the churches) would have fought their presence in regulating you in the first place you'd have a lot less to worry about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com