Photo
- - - - -

Cam's stats will not be as impressive next year...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#37 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:54 PM

I don't mean to speak for you CRA but I don't think CRA is suggesting that Cam run like a RB.
However, if you remove designed QB runs or read(run) option plays then you remove a key element that helped make the offense dynamic.

Teams are forced to account for Cam as runner or be prepared to give up 5 yards or more chunks of yards every time the Panthers run zone-read.
And no defense want to concede yards like that.
When they try to stop the running game they're more vulnerable to the pass.
This combination Cam's run threat in the read-option (designed runs) and his arm talent make the Panther's offense special.
Its a winning forumla, some might argue that the Panther's could have used the read-option even more.
The read option allowed a QB that can run almost as well as Cam but can't throw worth a damn to lead a 1-4 team to a playoff victory. (The Golden Calf of Bristol)

Cam's run threat in the read-option/zone-read is a gift.
Its a gift that I hope my team can harness with Griffin.

First, I now dislike you, into the pile with you.

I get what you are saying in regards to the read option. To some the benefits outweigh the costs. We run the ball a little less than half the time. Why Not have Cam start that play? I get it. I just don't like it. The threat is already there. There are plenty of options to play with. Why use the one option you cannot afford to lose?

Cam ran the ball 70+ times last year. I just happen to think that is 30ish too many. And even though he is hard as hellz to get a lick on, why tempt fate? Culpepper was a dual threat until Evans ended his reign. Let Cam lead the O, let him run when he sees the opening, let him be Cam. Just limit the designed run plays please.

I just want my once in a lifetime, swag monging, reinventor of the Franchise QB position, QB to have a long and healthy career. You guys are infatuated with what could be. While I applaud the idea, I have to politely refuse to join that line of thinking.

Second. There is a part of me that is curious as to how Shanny uses RG3. A small part, as they are my least favorite team. But for you, I try.

#38 rico6

rico6

Shit.

HUDDLER

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:09 PM

Impressive as in stats?

While I'll still expect some of his loose cannon interceptions and some sailing dump off passes, I'm actually expecting Cam to have another great season.

Nothing about Cam should or would regress dramatically this year.

#39 Toundra

Toundra

100% French meat

SUPPORTER

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:21 AM

Superbowl!

The stats will be the cherry on the cake.

#40 frash.exe

frash.exe

Freddy Frashbear

HUDDLER

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:32 AM

he can still break 4,000 this year. As he progresses he'll be able to hit that mark more consistently, and with efficiency, which is what this team is going to need on offense going forward more than anything else. Just being able to run the ball doesn't make you a great offense, and it isn't the keystone needed to make everything else work on offense. Pay attention to what's going on around the league recently and stop reading the John Fox handbook of football that got shoved down your throat in 2002.

#41 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:12 AM

Scrambles are different from designed runs. Let Cam run when he sees it. Not as a suppliment to the RB position.

Cam is our Franchise QB, let him be a QB not a RB. As has been stated. Just because Cam is a gifted runner, does not mean you have to use him as a RB.

You want to run him like a bull. I want him to be here for the long haul. Which way would seem to be the more likely way to keep him long term?

So I guess QBs are the only players you want around for the long haul?

You use Cam not as a RB but as a unique runner and passer....If Carolina wasn't going to take advantage of what makes him special then they shouldn't of drafted him

#42 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

I can agree with those who say we shouldn't use Cam as a primary running option. I also can agree with those that say we need to let him scramble as he himself said that he is more likely to get hurt in the pocket being blindsided instead of the open field where he can see what is coming at him.

The big issue seems to be how much to use him in goal line situations, third and shorts, and as a read option quarterback. I would think we would let him help decide that as well as see what is most effective and what defenses are giving us. I don't think you can go into the season saying that this is what we are going to do 50 times or 100 times. I think we will have all those plays in the package and see how things work out. Obviously running him too often and getting him hurt would be totally counterproductive then again making him too one dimensional takes away from what made him great last year. I think it will be a balance that we experiment with throughout the year. What we do the first few games might not be what we do the last few games similar to last year.

#43 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

HUDDLER

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

Absolutely you let him scramble, that's who Cam is. I don't think anyone is arguing against that. More the goal line situations, I would like to see less of him having to lunge over the opposing defense. We have three more than capable running backs that can punch it in if we choose not to pass.

#44 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

Absolutely you let him scramble, that's who Cam is. I don't think anyone is arguing against that. More the goal line situations, I would like to see less of him having to lunge over the opposing defense. We have three more than capable running backs that can punch it in if we choose not to pass.

Big game....must score a TD.

Who do you want running it in? A RB or let Cam call the shots himself on who goes in?

#45 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

SUPPORTER

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

For Cam the turnovers will drop and the Touchdowns will rise(passing) Rushing will stay roughly the same only TD's will drop. Upgraded Defense will provide shorter fields and more scoring opportunities for Smitty and Co as well as triple trouble.

#46 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

HUDDLER

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:53 AM

cam has said he wants to pass more and with three great rbs he shouldn't have to run as much. But he ain't scared so if he's open I imagine he'll go. But he could break his rushing td's record if he takes advantage of red zone situations.

#47 edromeo

edromeo

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

The threat is already there. There are plenty of options to play with. Why use the one option you cannot afford to lose?

I'm being very specific for a reason.
I'm not talking in a general sense about defenses trying to stop or account for a scrambling QB.
No, I'm talking about teams trying to stop the designed QB read-option/zone-read plays.
I think you fail to acknowledge the specific benefit read-option/zone read plays had on your offense as whole and in the RZ in particular.
And how important and impactful the zone-read/read option elements are to having a top 5 scoring offense.

I just want my once in a lifetime, swag monging, reinventor of the Franchise QB position, QB to have a long and healthy career. You guys are infatuated with what could be. While I applaud the idea, I have to politely refuse to join that line of thinking.

This is a paradoxial statement.
If you truely believe Cam is a reinventor of the Franchise QB position how can you want to remove or limit the very thing that makes unique?
And I disagree about being infatuated with what could be (although the sky is the limit) I think you are missing what is actual happening.

Second. There is a part of me that is curious as to how Shanny uses RG3. A small part, as they are my least favorite team. But for you, I try.

lol no worries, hate away.
its kinda ironic though because awhile back a decent chunk of Carolina used to be Redskins country now ya'll got your own team so feel free to hate my Burgundy and Gold, no skin off my back.

I'm curious to see how Kyle Shanahan uses Griff too.
Griff lacks the stature to pose the same challenge that Cam does in the zone-read/read option plays, but I hope Kyle can use Chudz as a guide.

BTW-(If you are from/near Charlotte) I went to this awesome "gentlemens clubs" down there I believe on Tryon street is it still there and what's it called?
This place was huge, had a large ceilings, plush lounge chairs and couches and a long runway.

#48 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:55 PM

I'm being very specific for a reason.
I'm not talking in a general sense about defenses trying to stop or account for a scrambling QB.
No, I'm talking about teams trying to stop the designed QB read-option/zone-read plays.
I think you fail to acknowledge the specific benefit read-option/zone read plays had on your offense as whole and in the RZ in particular.
And how important and impactful the zone-read/read option elements are to having a top 5 scoring offense.

This is a paradoxial statement.
If you truely believe Cam is a reinventor of the Franchise QB position how can you want to remove or limit the very thing that makes unique?
And I disagree about being infatuated with what could be (although the sky is the limit) I think you are missing what is actual happening.

lol no worries, hate away.
its kinda ironic though because awhile back a decent chunk of Carolina used to be Redskins country now ya'll got your own team so feel free to hate my Burgundy and Gold, no skin off my back.

I'm curious to see how Kyle Shanahan uses Griff too.
Griff lacks the stature to pose the same challenge that Cam does in the zone-read/read option plays, but I hope Kyle can use Chudz as a guide.

BTW-(If you are from/near Charlotte) I went to this awesome "gentlemens clubs" down there I believe on Tryon street is it still there and what's it called?
This place was huge, had a large ceilings, plush lounge chairs and couches and a long runway.

I realize my line of thinking goes against the grain of what Cam can be. And I agree with the why limit him thinking as well. I am not advocating eleminating the read-option. Just not running it 10-15 times a game. I just happen to believe Cam can still be effective without having to run the ball so much.

The threat is already there. You can still use the formation, play, and any counters you wish. I just want Cam around. And I feel those designed runs are just too dangerous. I know that I am preaching to the choir. Because it really is counterproductive to limit Cam. Thank Zod he is a tank and seems to have a knack for knowing exactly when the play is done and gets down.

I am just scared of being the Panthers without Cam. We have all seen where that leads.

I grew up in Mich as a Lions fan. Just seemed like every time we had a good year we would play the skins int he playoffs, and get smoked. That more than anything is why I hate the skins. My mothers favorite team was the Lions and anyone that beat the skins. lol

I live in Spartanburg, about 2 miles fromt the practice fields. But I know the place you speak of. Have not been there in years, so I cannot remember the name. My favorite dancer was Breanna.