#31 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,642 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:04 AM

it felt like a libertarian's wet dream but goddamn bane owned

Yeah if you look at the movie on the surface level, it feels like an extremely hamfisted corporatist propaganda piece, but that is, like I said, surface level. ie if you look at it and say "Bane says some populist stuff, Bane is the bad guy, therefor corporatism is good." But that is a retarded way to look at a story. In reality he is corruption using populism as a trojan horse, and he is killed by the actual populist (Catwoman).

#32 King

King

A Cell of Awareness

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:06 AM

Cool stuff.

#33 cantrell

cantrell

secular progressive bogeyman

• HUDDLER
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:31 AM

Yeah if you look at the movie on the surface level, it feels like an extremely hamfisted corporatist propaganda piece, but that is, like I said, surface level. ie if you look at it and say "Bane says some populist stuff, Bane is the bad guy, therefor corporatism is good." But that is a retarded way to look at a story. In reality he is corruption using populism as a trojan horse, and he is killed by the actual populist (Catwoman).

yeah but the bad guys were "exiling" the bankers and political players and we are supposed to feel bad for them but tbqh it seems like a fair way to deal with the types who purposefully crashed the economy for personal gain

i mean look at how the people who were swayed by bane's message were portrayed. it just felt like "look at those dumb libs, they got what they wanted and without the rich to keep them in line they're just ransacking the city, now here's a shot of a rich person trying to cross a semi-frozen waterway so pity this poor misunderstood soul, thankfully bruce wayne is richer than god and can come along to save the day for these fuging animals because he is truly the hero they need, but do not deserve"

#34 King

King

A Cell of Awareness

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:34 AM

You guys have your class envy turned up to 11 tonight, apparently.

#35 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,642 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:10 AM

yeah but the bad guys were "exiling" the bankers and political players and we are supposed to feel bad for them but tbqh it seems like a fair way to deal with the types who purposefully crashed the economy for personal gain

i mean look at how the people who were swayed by bane's message were portrayed. it just felt like "look at those dumb libs, they got what they wanted and without the rich to keep them in line they're just ransacking the city, now here's a shot of a rich person trying to cross a semi-frozen waterway so pity this poor misunderstood soul, thankfully bruce wayne is richer than god and can come along to save the day for these fuging animals because he is truly the hero they need, but do not deserve"

I'm not sure that we were supposed to feel bad for them. I saw it as a schadenfreude moment. Especially with Daggett and his assistant guy being killed. I mean Daggett was the absolute embodiment of wealthy elitist weaselly corporatism, and the film was very clear about portraying him as a villain. When he confronted Bane with "I've paid you a small fortune," and Bane says "And you think that gives you power over me?" and kills him, I can't imagine anyone actually thinking "No! Bane didn't honor their arrangement! He should have had power over Bane!" It was two evil forces meeting, and a villain killing a villain, which is how I see the whole exiling thing. Besides Gordon, the people they sent onto the ice were all weaselly looking assholes, if they wanted you to relate or sympathize, they would have been healthy, normal people.

Daggett is a huge wrench in the theory that it's a right wing message. The movie goes out of its way to show that the corporate side is a villain, too.

#36 MCP

MCP

Peace, Love, Uke

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:58 AM

I am probably going to regret asking this, but why on earth would any organization conduct an operation like this? Condensed version please.

Because "fast and furious" failed.

#37 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,608 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:40 AM

aka poo happens. Not everything has to happen for a reason. There's not a logical reason for most of the fuged up poo that happens(in a philosophical sense).

As to the OP, film makers are people too. They have their own opinions and political views. Those views are bound to bleed through into their work.

Also, anyone that goes into a movie such as this one looking for political messages is probably going to find the message they want to find..

#38 natty

natty

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,745 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:34 AM

I'm not sure that we were supposed to feel bad for them. I saw it as a schadenfreude moment. Especially with Daggett and his assistant guy being killed. I mean Daggett was the absolute embodiment of wealthy elitist weaselly corporatism, and the film was very clear about portraying him as a villain. When he confronted Bane with "I've paid you a small fortune," and Bane says "And you think that gives you power over me?" and kills him, I can't imagine anyone actually thinking "No! Bane didn't honor their arrangement! He should have had power over Bane!" It was two evil forces meeting, and a villain killing a villain, which is how I see the whole exiling thing. Besides Gordon, the people they sent onto the ice were all weaselly looking assholes, if they wanted you to relate or sympathize, they would have been healthy, normal people.

Daggett is a huge wrench in the theory that it's a right wing message. The movie goes out of its way to show that the corporate side is a villain, too.

Damnit that word

#39 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,614 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

Also, anyone that goes into a movie such as this one looking for political messages is probably going to find the message they want to find..

This.
Hell they even try to make the audience sympathize with Bane for a brief second.

#40 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,152 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:30 PM

confirmation bia.........s

#41 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,614 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

Was I the only one who felt a sense of joy when Heinz Field was destroyed?

#42 SCPantherFan90

SCPantherFan90

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

Oh God Jesus Lord Christ. It is a fusion reactor, which is how it generates energy. And as such, could be used as a weapon.

Here is a production still of it. Wayne Enterprises Fusion Reactor.

Posted Image

Well, you got me there, haha. However, that Miranda chick explains that the device is to be used for free energy before any mention of fusion reactor. Also, try not to have a heart attack over there :)

I totally agree, and I also think there are plenty of people who go to see this movie and don't think any farther than that.

A valid point. I don't think anyone could argue that the wealthy were painted in a sympathetic light. I do find it interesting though that Bane's actions with punishing the wealth and balancing the classes, etc. was all just to give the people false hope so he could rip it away.

Hell, I believe that goes for many things, not just looking for political messages in movies. But, I'm not the type to go into a movie theater and look for all these hidden agendas or whatever. The movie just gave me a weird vibe, nothing more or less. And, yes, directors are obviously going to have control over most of what they create, but the companies who pay for these films have their due influence.

#43 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,494 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

there are movies with political messages that can be clear and applicable to the political climate at the time of the film, but imo this one wasn't really applicable to today's society because Bane's objectives were so far removed from what is going on (or at least what most of us think is going on ;) ), that I just can't see anyone actually watching this movie and going, "man look what happens if we don't vote Obummer out of office!" or "Oh god, Romney... Bain.. BANE... OH GOD!"

#44 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,642 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:12 PM

Nolan has been pretty clear that he wasn't really going for any political message per se. Still fun to read into it.

#45 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,494 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

yeah... well, he's certainly got several angles there that people can speculate about, but I don't think there is a very clear political message designed to sway people one way or another in the film.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com