#31 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,468 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:23 PM

Carolina Panthers@Panthers

Ron Rivera confirmed that the 3-4 will be an option for the #Panthers this season.

Rivera: “When teams have to prepare for more than one type of defense, that helps."

Not quite sure why so many of us jump to conclusions. This does NOT mean we are switching to a 3-4. It infers that we are going to show 3-4 looks.

#32 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 9,127 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

If we have a mix and hybrid type sets lets just make up some goofy nickname for the damn defense...I just want results

#33 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,526 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

It just makes since to play both sets if we can. Different looks equal a harder time for OCs to know who is on the field.

#34 Cracka McNasty

Cracka McNasty

WWNPHD?

• HUDDLER
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

look on the bright side.

Can it really be much worse than the Defense last year?

#35 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,540 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

i think we will run a hybrid but a lot more 3-4 sets than last year.

#36 methodtoll

methodtoll

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationToccoa, GA

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:01 PM

They are still running a base 4-3 defense, just with added 3-4 packages.... Atleast that is what it says in the latest panthers.com article

#37 pOpCoRnPoPpEr

pOpCoRnPoPpEr

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • LocationPrison

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:27 PM

The LB core of Anderson-Beason-Kuechly-Davis sounds damn good.

not for the 3-4

#38 mj4life

mj4life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:01 PM

i doubt we go 3-4 any time soon. d lineman in a true 34 are required to occupy lineman first & attack second which basically would waste all our de's since that is not what they do best, all we are looking to do IMO is a updated version of the elephant lb position,but i still think we will want our line to attack & be as disruptive as possible.

#39 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,971 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:10 PM

Was reading about this earlier but was too lazy to post it, but I assume part of the speculation comes from this (from the same article about Neblett's statements on suspension and Gettis' PUP stint):
http://www.panthers....98-17263a49bed9

CHARLOTTE – Last season, the Panthers experimented with a 3-4 defensive alignment for a handful of plays.
This year, the Panthers hope the 3-4 can become a handful for opposing offenses.
“When teams have to prepare for more than one type of defense, that helps. It’s the same thing as how we want defenses preparing for an offense that’s multi-faceted,” Panthers head coach Ron Rivera said Tuesday after the second day of a three-day camp leading into training camp.
“The biggest thing is that we have some guys that have some ability to play linebacker and defensive end for us, and we’ve got to look at utilizing their talents and their abilities. That may mean us playing a little bit of 3-4. We’ve got to be flexible and keep our options open.”
The Panthers still plan to operate out of a 4-3 base, but Rivera wants to take full advantage of the flexibility among his personnel along the front seven.
Defensive ends Antwan ApplewhitePosted Image and Jyles TuckerPosted Image played outside linebacker in a 3-4 during Rivera’s tenure as defensive coordinator with the San Diego Chargers, and Eric NorwoodPosted Image played both spots in college. Defensive end Charles JohnsonPosted Image lined up at defensive tackle during the 3-4 experiments last season, and defensive end Greg HardyPosted Image is athletic enough to play linebacker in a 3-4.
The Panthers also have four linebackers capable of playing every down with the addition of first-round draft pick Luke KuechlyPosted Image. However, 3-4 alignments out of a 4-3 base are at least as likely to feature a fourth defensive lineman at outside linebacker as they are four traditional linebackers.
Making such flexibility more possible in 2012 is that the Panthers have enjoyed plenty of rehab time and classroom time this offseason.
“The thing that helps us is that our middle is back,” Rivera said. “We lose Ron EdwardsPosted Image, who understands playing the nose in the 3-4. We lose our two primary inside backers (Jon BeasonPosted Image and Thomas DavisPosted Image). Getting them all back helps, plus having Organized Team Activities and minicamps has given us more of an opportunity to prepare.”

Unless one lacks reading comprehension, it's basically saying the same thing that Rivera said last year regarding 3-4 looks... In summary: "We'll use them."

#40 Swaggasaurus

Swaggasaurus

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • LocationWilkesboro

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:33 PM

"We lose our two primary inside backers (Jon Beason and Thomas Davis)" this is an interesting little nugget considering Davis has played almost exclusively OLB since the safety debacle. I mean to have two primary inside backers does suggest some serious 3-4isms

#41 TruCatzFan

TruCatzFan

Phil 4:13

• HUDDLER
  • 6,470 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:04 AM

Our Defense is going to be so FUGGING SICK this year......I'm trying so hard to temper my expectations...but damn....I sure in the hell am pretty excited!

#42 Razzy

Razzy

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:01 AM

How many times do we have to go over the same crap at the Huddle.

Switch to 3-4 is going to take a couple seasons as they don't have the personell.

The defense is mean to be more of a hybrid, running both formations.

No fuging all black jerseys.

#43 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:41 AM

I just hope they can play one defense effectively before attempting to be complex.

#44 carolinarolls

carolinarolls

Mel's brother Del

• HUDDLER
  • 5,305 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:10 AM

Never. Never ever.

75% of fans think that 3-4 means to have 4 good LB's playing at the same time.

...and since this number apparently includes the media parrots as well this number will likely go up.

the number of casual fans saying "I told you so" right now has got to be off the charts.

thanks media.

again.

#45 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,637 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

For what it is worth, I do think we could run a 3-4 base defense with the personnel we currently have. Why?

Edwards has played NT in a 3-4 and both Johnson and now Hardy are big and strong enough to play a 2 gap scheme in a 3-4 at DE.

Hardy is athletic enough to play OLB in a 3-4 if we bring in McClain or Kearse and both Applewhite and Tucker have played OLB in a 3-4. A guy like Keiser could come in when we want an OLB to line up essentially at a DE with a hand on the ground.

Beason and Kuechly would be an outstanding duo as ILBs. The guys who would be most out of place would be Anderson and Davis.

Would that mean we would do it as a base defense?? I don't think so but we could use it more often especially on passing downs. We could also use a 3-3-5 nickel more often against teams like New Orleans or Philly that pass more often than run. We were pretty vanilla last year given the poor linebacker play but that is going to change in a big way this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com