#77 panthersphan

panthersphan

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:01 AM

We better start trading for some 3-4 personnel, and in a hurry.

Well honestly, we actually have better personnel for the 3-4 than 4-3 at the moment.

I'm sure Rivera (who ran 3-4 in SD) knew all along his plan and didn't want to let the rest of the division/league in on his plan before the draft and free agency. Smart.

We lack DT depth... and have solid LB core with DLmen that can play LB in a 3-4 scheme (Hardy, Tucker, Norwood)

I'm pumped! With the speed we have in our LBing core and the aggressive defensive style McDermott likes to run... should be interesting.. I think this is a smart decision...

For what it's worth, I do remember reading the other day a quote from Rivera saying that we would be running a lot of 3-4 schemes this season..it is the system he usually runs and is probably most familiar with.

#78 Swaggasaurus

Swaggasaurus

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationWilkesboro

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:18 AM

Well honestly, we actually have better personnel for the 3-4 than 4-3 at the moment.

I'm sure Rivera (who ran 3-4 in SD) knew all along his plan and didn't want to let the rest of the division/league in on his plan before the draft and free agency. Smart.

We lack DT depth... and have solid LB core with DLmen that can play LB in a 3-4 scheme (Hardy, Tucker, Norwood)

I'm pumped! With the speed we have in our LBing core and the aggressive defensive style McDermott likes to run... should be interesting.. I think this is a smart decision...

For what it's worth, I do remember reading the other day a quote from Rivera saying that we would be running a lot of 3-4 schemes this season..it is the system he usually runs and is probably most familiar with.

NO, just no. Learned under 4-3 in Philly, coached that as position coach, ran 4-3 in Chicago. Came to SD as a linebacker coach, SD was running a 3-4, he adapted to that personnel.

#79 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,621 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:12 AM

Yeah...but Edwards is a slightly undersized 34 NT who simply couldn't get it done in the 34.....which is why he is here playing in our 43.

We still don't have the DEs. Ours are 43 DEs.

Hybrid means situational looks....which we can do. We would need to invest in a new DL....our guys would get blown up playing 34 every down

He looked pretty big to me

#80 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:03 AM

The only 3-4 personnel the team has are Applewhite, Keiser, and to a lesser extent Edwards.

#81 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,601 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:19 AM

Chandler, Tucker, Nwagbuo, Phillips, Van Bergen, Fua and Kearse also have all had some time in a 3-4 either in the pros or college level. plus its still football and these guys have been playing for years, they can be taught up/coached up. personnel is not that off McClain and Hardy are around the size that DE or 5tech.i like CJ on the edge more but he can play OLB and 5tech.just random thoughts......

#82 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

Chandler, Tucker, Nwagbuo, Phillips, Van Bergen, Fua and Kearse also have all had some time in a 3-4 either in the pros or college level. plus its still football and these guys have been playing for years, they can be taught up/coached up. personnel is not that off McClain and Hardy are around the size that DE or 5tech.i like CJ on the edge more but he can play OLB and 5tech.just random thoughts......

Yeah, I definitely missed those guys....true.

It's not really about just size when it comes to 3-4 linemen. Hardy is week against the run and while he has gained weight I don't think an extra 10 pounds will bring him from a week 4-3 DE to a good 3-3 DE. Sapp had plenty of size and just wasn't suited for the change. With the Panthers it's that in my opinion a full switch would negate the strengths of our best defensive players.

#83 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,360 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

Yeah, I definitely missed those guys....true.

It's not really about just size when it comes to 3-4 linemen. Hardy is week against the run and while he has gained weight I don't think an extra 10 pounds will bring him from a week 4-3 DE to a good 3-3 DE. Sapp had plenty of size and just wasn't suited for the change. With the Panthers it's that in my opinion a full switch would negate the strengths of our best defensive players.

Yep. We have 4-3 talent....as in the real talent on D is geared or a 4-3. The role players and backups have some 3-4 background.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com