#286 SIGCHI222

SIGCHI222

the illustrious potentate

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,432 posts
  • LocationShelby

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:40 PM

Rivera has spoken, and all of Jerry's children said, "Amen".
It is now more than obvious that Chico is not going to put up with boxes that babies come in and that Hurney actually listens to this head coach.
If Fox were still here, Otah would still be here and Pickles would still be our starting QB.

#287 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,724 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:40 PM

I, like some others here knew Otah was a goner. You could see it coming. I'm not questioning the move just wish it was done sooner. Lol no one is saying Otah was/is worth a 1st rounder. Only a dumbass would make that deal, orrr trade up for him in the draft in the 1st place..... I'm just saying a cheap Schwartz who has shown and ability to play is a better option than Campbell who hasn't shown anything.

Did Campbell have a hip injury that put him on IR for a year? He went on IR for a hamstring injury. I think I would take my chances with that.

#288 pOpCoRnPoPpEr

pOpCoRnPoPpEr

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • LocationPrison

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:57 PM

Tell you what. I say Campbell doesn't make the 53 man roster.

#289 DoubleTrouble34

DoubleTrouble34

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:58 PM

The psychic powers are strong with this one. How, pray tell, do you know that any future pick gotten from this trade will be used to pick up trash that will never develop? I would much rather trade Otah now for something, ANYTHING, with potential, even in the slightest, than let him sit around all year while playing two games and we don't resign him afterwards. This was a contract year for him, he wasn't going to be around after this year anyhow. At least this way we get something for him.

You're jumping to conclusions, you dont know that Otah will be injured all yr. he might come back for the Jets and be his old self. i will give that a greater chance of happening then a 7th round pick becoming a contributer on this team

#290 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,495 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:38 PM

Dude it's real simple. Hurney should have just fired up Madden and gone to the "trade player" screen. You offer up Otah for a seventh, and if that works, you exit the trade and add another pick.

We could have gotten more for him, but Hurney was too stupid or lazy to press the circle button a couple extra times. That is terrible GM-ing.

I prefer to "trade player" by finding the lowest pick in the draft and start from there... the GMs think I'm being personable and I'm pretty sure they highly respect my negotiation skills.. I haven't seen many awards for best GM, but I know it's coming.. 2013 is my time to shine..

#291 Mvp2014

Mvp2014

Phenom

• HUDDLER
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:39 PM

Damn! It better be a 3rd rounder

#292 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• ALL-PRO
  • 13,073 posts
  • LocationGATOR CREEK- SC

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:49 PM

Damn! It better be a 3rd rounder

The team announced Monday that it acquired former Panthers tackle Jeff Otah in a trade for what ESPN.com is reporting to be a conditional seventh-round draft pick.

http://newyork.newsd...-otah-1.3856038

#293 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• ALL-PRO
  • 13,073 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:52 PM

If you had told any knowledgeable Carolina Panthers fans back in 2009 that Jeff Otah would be traded in 2012 for a cup of coffee, not a single one of them would have believed it. The guy was simply a beast that seemed totally unstoppable. He was the ultimate force for a running game that was ready to explode with DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart. At times, the guy would leave holes so wide that I think I might have been able to hit them in my prime.

As a huge Panthers fan, I have hoped for two years that Otah would recover from the repeated knee problems he suffered from. This was supposed to be the year...again. After another bitterly disappointing lead in to training camp, the Panthers finally cut ties with the big man. I actually find myself relieved in some ways.

When a player becomes a constant liability for any reason, you have to consider cutting ties with them. Jeff Otah was becoming a liability for a number of reasons.

He was starting to get a "soft" label, though that could be purely press driven. The fact is, he has been fighting off the same knee injury for what has become years now. That is a financial liability for the Panthers.

He has been a liability for planning purposes as well. Every season he was penciled in at right tackle and every season he ended up unable to play in the end. That messed around with draft pick needs, planning and even the advancement of other talent.

Otah was a liability in the locker room indirectly, if not directly. I have played football and been around many locker rooms and this type of thing can become a problem. Otah seems to have been well respected, but I guarantee the other offensive linemen got sick of the on again off again expectation of playing time. When a guy takes far longer than usual to recover from an injury, you have to question things.

The truth is, Otah is a huge man and does not have the typical situation. His knees are carrying a massive amount of weight around. Perhaps his injury is really not healing properly for those reasons. Whatever the case, Otah is still a liability from a business and fan's standpoint.

http://sports.yahoo....00795--nfl.html

#294 Mvp2014

Mvp2014

Phenom

• HUDDLER
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:55 PM

The team announced Monday that it acquired former Panthers tackle Jeff Otah in a trade for what ESPN.com is reporting to be a conditional seventh-round draft pick.

http://newyork.newsd...-otah-1.3856038

....... I guess that's better than a big ol oaf with bad knees.

#295 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• ALL-PRO
  • 13,073 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:58 PM

seems like they would have an escalator clause like if Otah becomes the starter and makes the Pro Bowl then we get like a 5th round pick instead.

#296 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

• HUDDLER
  • 8,926 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:04 AM

Oakland loses a WR they don't really need, and gets a shoddy pick.
We get a WR we don't really need, lose a shoddy pick, get a shoddy pick, and lose a RT.
New York loses a shoddy pick and gets a RT.

Pretty boring if you ask me. Let's see who comes out on top when all is said and done this time next season.

#297 Mvp2014

Mvp2014

Phenom

• HUDDLER
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:08 AM

seems like they would have an escalator clause like if Otah becomes the starter and makes the Pro Bowl then we get like a 5th round pick instead.

Hopefully, that's the conditional part.

#298 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,495 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:10 AM

just look at how the Peppers situation turned out despite our lack of preparation in the DE department and yet Otah should have stuck around despite us getting a 7th rounder for a guy who by all accounts would have been ineligible for ~12-16 games...

#299 Irv

Irv

Winner Best New Huddler

• HUDDLER
  • 3,593 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:57 AM

im pretty sure the team knows more about jeff otah then us. When otah is phased out of the league in 2 years you guys will see why hurney did what he did.

#300 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,907 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:28 AM

I agree with the quoted article from yahoo. If anything it seems like Jeff Otah was a 400 lb. carrot that Rivera and Co. finally got sick of chasing. I wouldn't be surprised if his potential constantly changed draft plans, and then he can't go and you're back to square one. Maybe they just decided its better to move on without him, even with only minimal compensation, and consider the move to be addition by subtraction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com